Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Exhaust conundrum! Please provide insight.

My current exhaust setup is SP 1 7/8'' Catted LT's, Solo Performance Mach X catback and Solo J pipes. I love the sound of my exhaust, but there is one problem that I have with it; when going up in the RPMs and letting off the gas, the tips of the exhaust make a very annoying raspy sound. Very soon I plan on pulling the trigger on RRP electric cutouts, but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to eliminate that slight rasp? Would I be able to fix it if I cut off the end of the Solo Catback and put a different type of tip or resonator back there? I don't mind adding more pieces to my exhaust as far as flow and restriction, because I will have the electric cutouts for when I want to open her up. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
LS3 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
I think that noise is good. Add horsepower and the rasp becomes a loud popping noise which is particularly effective in scaring away kids in rice burners who want me to waste fuel. To answer your question, I believe that is an unavoidable byproduct of a free flowing exhaust.
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:35 PM   #3
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mchlgrrsn View Post
I think that noise is good. Add horsepower and the rasp becomes a loud popping noise which is particularly effective in scaring away kids in rice burners who want me to waste fuel. To answer your question, I believe that is an unavoidable byproduct of a free flowing exhaust.
Don't get me wrong, I love the decel pop, its just the rasp at the tip of the exhaust that makes me feel like my car doesn't sound 100% how it should sound.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

You would have to add back pressure some where I guess to get rid of it
LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Old 02-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
LS3 SS

bump.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
patternpilot

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
I've spent some time thinking about this very thing. What causes the raspy sound in our exhaust? Well back when cars had frames, the mufflers were located under the passenger compartment right between the front and rear seats. This distance from the muffler to the back of the car (several feet) gave the high pitch sounds time to die out. With the mufflers right at the exit of our cars, there is no time for this to take place. Proper tuning of the muffler baffels would help (take a look at JRE'S Dynoteck video for a good example) would help. I have some theries regarding some type of additions to the exhaust that should help, but reserve comment to the specifics until they are tried.

LS3, Whipple, Custom Comp Cam, springs, pushrods, timing set, CAI intake, Apex cold air scoop, Doug Thorley TRI-Y headers, Billet Custom Products baffled Valve covers, Mighty Mouse Catch can, ADM FPCM, ZL1 fuel pump, MSD boost-a-pump, Hex Vent hood vents, ProSport gauges(fuel pressure, AFR, Boost), Corsa, 100 cell Cats. Jannetty remote tuned, Pfadt trailing arms, all parts user installed. No Dyno yet. Manual trans. 3.45 gears.
patternpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

i have a theory ... turn up the radio ... keep the fan on high ... roll down the windows if weather permits ... BTW i utilize all 3 at the same time ... my cabin generally sounds like world war 3 lol
Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
The raspy sound seems like something normal after adding headers. A few people don't notice it. I hated that sound too. I've not seen anyone successful in completely getting rid of that rasp.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
LS3 SS

Can any vendors chime in and maybe suggest some ideas??