Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #85
toyosuprablue
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black M6
I found this to be a good spot to mount the Elite Catch Can with the bracket that comes with it.
toyosuprablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #86
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
What does all this have to do with mounting the catch can? I keep reading the thread to see new ideas on mounting but all I see is a discussion about effectiveness.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #87
OC ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 AGM
Catch Can Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Sky, you have not done the test and I endorse the Elite as one of the few that catch nearly all....in fact my endorsment of the few actaully good cans probably sells just as many of the competitors as ours....but there is no assumption. We have been testing cans for the past 9 years and making the data available for all......so you can live in your world thinking your catching as much, but NO can catches all like the RX can. Is a can that catches 90% just as good? Yes in many applications or I would not endorse these others as follows:

Saiku Micchi (just under the RX)
Elite & AMW (both work equally as good and are excellent designs and right up there in the top)

And any thing else is below all of these substantially....and you can test (by you, i mean anyone with any catchcan) to see for themselves.

And even further, when contacted by owners of an Elite or other great can and asked if they should swap out for a RX can, unless it is a turbo or centri application needing a dual valve for constant crankcase evacuation, I always tell them to keep the good can they have (maybe some will chime in here to verify this)....something no others I endorse do in reciprocation.

Anyone is free to choose what they wish, and they way they drain them is a valid reason...but do NOT claim our can does not separate and catch all where no other can does (for under $1000) as that is pure fiction....and enough do these tests I encourage to see first hand....something you just want to argue about.

So I respect your choice...its a free world, and the cans I endorse are excellent no matter if it cost me sales to do so...I don't BS and go by assumptions or bashing just to bash...I give actual data and how to verify it.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #88
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Would it be possible to see a zl1 throttle body that does not have a can installed to see the difference? Just curious to see the with and without.
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #89
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
What does all this have to do with mounting the catch can? I keep reading the thread to see new ideas on mounting but all I see is a discussion about effectiveness.
Absolutely nothing. And no one shows any detailed steps on how to mount where they did, just a "mount it here" opinion. I believe the area I mount it is indeed the best, as that area gets pretty much optimum airflow, from air entering past the radiator, and the fans in that area, not to mention it has plenty of gap from the engine.

All these people argue against the RX catch can but have no idea how it really works. When you have oil vapor, which is what, 250+ degrees, going through the filtering medium of the catch can, which is well over 100 degrees cooler, it is going to condense on the filtering media, which in turn will drip down into the bottom of the catch can.

You don't need 10 feet of hose and all this other junk, just buy a catch can, install, and drive. Trying to be extra creative and saving $30 just isn't worth the effort in my opinion.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #90
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
Absolutely nothing. And no one shows any detailed steps on how to mount where they did, just a "mount it here" opinion. I believe the area I mount it is indeed the best, as that area gets pretty much optimum airflow, from air entering past the radiator, and the fans in that area, not to mention it has plenty of gap from the engine.

All these people argue against the RX catch can but have no idea how it really works. When you have oil vapor, which is what, 250+ degrees, going through the filtering medium of the catch can, which is well over 100 degrees cooler, it is going to condense on the filtering media, which in turn will drip down into the bottom of the catch can.

You don't need 10 feet of hose and all this other junk, just buy a catch can, install, and drive. Trying to be extra creative and saving $30 just isn't worth the effort in my opinion.
Couldn't agree with you more that the area where your can is mounted is ideal.

In fact, I posted a thread a couple weeks ago how I used the RX ZL1 bracket to mount my Elite can in the same area.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277911

I noticed on many of the alternative location posts, the cars have a cold air intake. For those of us with the OEM air box and no immediate plans to install a cold air intake, your location is the best choice.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #91
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Right, I am not saying which is better. What I am saying if you can keep the CC cooler it will work better. That is just a fact, because it is a condenser and cool air condenses better than Hot.

So I say mount it in a cool location and it works better. There is no denying that.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #92
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post

If you say that mounting a CC in the engine bay will keep it as cool as in the CAI area is just as good. Then you would not need a CAI at all because the temp is the same in both places. It's the cold air you want not just airflow. That is why the CAI work, they are not pulling the hotter air going past the condenser radiator and heat exchanger. The air IS colder if before that three heat sources.

What other junk is there? It is just a longer hose which helps condense also. Nothing else but now the CC is out of the way of the engine.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #93
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
Sky, you have not done the test and I endorse the Elite as one of the few that catch nearly all....in fact my endorsment of the few actaully good cans probably sells just as many of the competitors as ours....but there is no assumption. We have been testing cans for the past 9 years and making the data available for all......so you can live in your world thinking your catching as much, but NO can catches all like the RX can. Is a can that catches 90% just as good? Yes in many applications or I would not endorse these others as follows:

Saiku Micchi (just under the RX)
Elite & AMW (both work equally as good and are excellent designs and right up there in the top)

And any thing else is below all of these substantially....and you can test (by you, i mean anyone with any catchcan) to see for themselves.

And even further, when contacted by owners of an Elite or other great can and asked if they should swap out for a RX can, unless it is a turbo or centri application needing a dual valve for constant crankcase evacuation, I always tell them to keep the good can they have (maybe some will chime in here to verify this)....something no others I endorse do in reciprocation.

Anyone is free to choose what they wish, and they way they drain them is a valid reason...but do NOT claim our can does not separate and catch all where no other can does (for under $1000) as that is pure fiction....and enough do these tests I encourage to see first hand....something you just want to argue about.

So I respect your choice...its a free world, and the cans I endorse are excellent no matter if it cost me sales to do so...I don't BS and go by assumptions or bashing just to bash...I give actual data and how to verify it.

How do you know if I have done any test, you are just guessing and assuming, you do not know what I do or do not do. Your CC would work better if in a colder area also, you can not deny that, if you do, you know nothing about condensation.

I never said your can does not work, I said it did and would work better in a cold place to be mounted. Mounting is the subject of the post.

Last edited by Skylane765; 03-09-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #94
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyosuprablue View Post
I found this to be a good spot to mount the Elite Catch Can with the bracket that comes with it.
Where is the clean air hose going? It looks like you have a added hose to it.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #95
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
Would it be possible to see a zl1 throttle body that does not have a can installed to see the difference? Just curious to see the with and without.
The PVC line goes AFTER the TB only the clean air in to the engine is before it.

You will not see anything unless you have excess blowby the PVC could not take into the front of the SC.

It is the blades we want to keep oil off of and the intake runners, plus keep the octane up.

The black hard line going from both valve covers and then to the bottom of the elbow is to supply air TO the engine, then the dirty air goes out of the top of the Valley cover to CC then to a low pressure inlet of the snout of the SC after the TB. Even under boost the in put of the SC is in a low pressure area.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #96
Skylane765

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Couldn't agree with you more that the area where your can is mounted is ideal.

In fact, I posted a thread a couple weeks ago how I used the RX ZL1 bracket to mount my Elite can in the same area.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277911

I noticed on many of the alternative location posts, the cars have a cold air intake. For those of us with the OEM air box and no immediate plans to install a cold air intake, your location is the best choice.
By the way if you do not have a CAI, then yes you would mount the CC in the engine bay, you have no choice then.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:12 PM   #97
StreetSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Will this type of filter suffice for the Rx catch can test?
Attached Images

StreetSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #98
Skylane765

Do not leave it in long or it will clog after time. I just used a clear tube and a paper streamer. A filter will remove the oil also, that is how some units work for other applications.