Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-14-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
SubSonic

Drives: 2014 SS/RS M6
Dealer dinged my car...

I know it's not the end of the world, but it's still pretty upsetting.

I took it in for first oil change at about 2,000 miles, because it was free and they didn't give me any trouble for changing it 'too soon.' This was apparently a mistake, and I probably will just do it myself in the future.

Ended up waiting just over an hour, (with a scheduled appointment). However, when they tell me the car is ready and I head over to the pick-up area, I immediately noticed a fresh gouge on the driver's side door crease. Of all places, someone was hoping I wouldn't notice.

I immediately told the employee at the desk and he went on a search for the service adviser. After 10 minutes of holding up the line, (I wasn't about to drive the car and give them an out.) He comes over.

He tries to explain that they don't park them next to other cars. I politely said that there was no dent when I got here and there is now, regardless of where the car was parked. He finally concedes that I am probably correct, and that he probably would have noticed it when I dropped it off if there was.

He gives me his card and says go to the body shop on the other side of the dealer and have the guy over there schedule an appointment. I head over there and the manager over there says the PDR guy is only here during the week. Just come sometime between 8-5, shouldn't take long... not sure I believe that. He hands me his card and says have the other guy set up the service.

At this point I am beginning to get annoyed. I go back to the original service adviser and said, your body shop manager told me to have you set it up. The adviser says that this is the body shop's job, I don't know why he's giving you the run-around.

At this point I am frustrated, and firmly but politely ask him to simply put it in writing on the ticket that this is their fault, they will cover it and sign his name. No problem, he does.

So now I have to take some time off from work and figure out beforehand if they PDR guy will actually have time to do it when I can.

Definitely not worth the free oil change.

Sorry for the novel and the rant, but I wish people would have the slightest respect for other people's stuff, or that the tech would at least own up to it so it's not left behind for me to find. And of course, the whole thing could be handled a lot better, and it hasn't even been handled yet. This car has 2k and still has paper plates.

I'll give them the chance to make it right.

Here's a picture, not great but gives an idea:
SubSonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Paladinjc
AC Pickles!

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Personally, I don't take my car to the dealer for anything unless it is a warranty issue.
Paladinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
It's a good idea to take pics of your car before it goes in for this reason. I would be pissed
Old 07-14-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladinjc View Post
Personally, I don't take my car to the dealer for anything unless it is a warranty issue.
Ditto. I do it myself whenever possible (oil/filter change, tire rotation, general maintenance, etc.).

There is a great little automotive hobby shop at the Marine Base where I used to work. They have all the tools I may need and high-tech lifts ($2/hr to use), plus all the Chilton's manuals on line. And the guys who work there are very good mechanics as well. It's a great setup.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #5
SubSonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelyell22 View Post
It's a good idea to take pics of your car before it goes in for this reason. I would be pissed
Yeah, I am. I park far away from everything, and everyone... and all it takes is some tech who doesn't care to make that for naught.

And I definitely do plan on taking pictures if I ever have a reason to bring it back for service.
Will also do so if they have to remove the car from my sight for the PDR guy.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
I have only gone to the dealer if it was a warranty issue. I do a full walk around before and after, you always have to check! No need to apologize for the novel or the rant, totally understandable!!!
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Been there... this is why I will never return to Mark Christopher Chevrolet in Ontario, CA. They appeared to have spent a considerable amount of effort to damage my car, when all I wanted was new oil and a filter.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM   #8
SubSonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I have only gone to the dealer if it was a warranty issue. I do a full walk around before and after, you always have to check! No need to apologize for the novel or the rant, totally understandable!!!
I think this is the right train of thought.

I have considered finding a PDR guy to come to my work and chalk it up to learning experience and cover it myself for the hassle-factor. But at the same time I feel like I shouldn't have to.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #9
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
I am glad you posted this, it reinforces my belief that dealerships will make a mess of things if given enough opportunity. My car came with free oil changes too but it has never been back to the stealership for anything.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I get everyone's frustration, and feel for you OP. On the flipside, I have had 3 of the 10 oil changes I negotiated with the dealership, and it has been a great experience. I can drop it off and pick it off after work. They used to wash them, but quit doing that. I get that I am not as picky as many of you when it comes to certain topics, I am very pleased with our dealer.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
I get everyone's frustration, and feel for you OP. On the flipside, I have had 3 of the 10 oil changes I negotiated with the dealership, and it has been a great experience. I can drop it off and pick it off after work. They used to wash them, but quit doing that. I get that I am not as picky as many of you when it comes to certain topics, I am very pleased with our dealer.
Dealerships, and each employee within, are just like any other human- operation on the planet. Some are great (good management, good hiring/ screening, etc.), others not so much. A great dealership might have one or two bad apples, a lousy dealership might employ the most careful and diligent tech on the planet.

It's good to hear of good experiences... helps to restore my faith.

On the other hand, it doesn't take a lot to lose a customer for life. If my car is abused at some dealership, even a single time, ain't no way in God's green Earth that I will return to that place again, partly because I do not want to risk further damage by whatever bad apple did it before, and partly because I feel some slight sense of justice in "doing my part" to patronize businesses with quality services while leaving the others to wither and die.
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #12
Bulldog3071

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
I hate taking my car to the dealer, only take for warrenty work and do a walk around with my serive manager to make sure we have no issues with the car, and I also have them place very specific instruction on the servixwe ticket that the car is not to be driven if it is not required, it must say inside the service center and thy should not take the car out if its raining or drive it on wet roads. y serice manager has provided me with great serice, but I know from post on the fourm the service guys can be real apes.
Lakewood Strut Tower Brace, JBA Shorty Headers, JBA 8 MM Wires, Airaid TB Spacer, Phastek CAI Scoop, Washer Bottle Relocation Kit, Stainlees Steel Brake Lines, Brake Performance Slotted and Drilled Rotors, BMR Tunnel Brace, BMR Trailing Arms, BMR Subframe Connectors, Borla ATAK Muffelers, Z28 Wickerbill Spoiler, VTC, Bow Tie Delete, BMR Adjustable Front Swaybar, BMR End Link Kit, BMR Extreme Rear Anti-Roll Kit, Diablo I1000 "InTune"
Bulldog3071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Fortunately that is a simple fix. It will take the PDR guy about 30 minutes or so and you'll never know it was there.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM   #14
Camarodriver2

Drives: FOR SALE! Bumblebee 1 of 1
Get a RPG.
My 1 of 1 Bumblebee: Paint=House of Kolor Sunrise. Shaved door handles and concept handles added. Shark fin removed, concept mirrors, Showstoppers concept LED side marker lights. Wiper blades removed, muffler delete, and Range AFM disable. BMR springs lowered 1" rear and 1.4" front and added Eibach wheel spacers - 20mm rear and 25mm front.
Camarodriver2 is offline   Reply With Quote