Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #1
AquaV6

Drives: Black v6
I need help with my car!

Hi! This is one of my first times on this kind of website, but I really need help.
If I posted this in the wrong section, please forgive me, i'm sorry.

I'm a young car enthusiast, i'm currently 15 years old. My parents noticed my love for the Camaro since I was a kid, I always used to float to a Camaro everytime I saw one. A few months back, they decided to get me my own 2015 Camaro v6! I love my car, but I want to start modifying for performance.

When I turn 16, I would like to make my car track ready, but I don't know what to do with it. I wanted to replace the intake and a few other things, but i'm not sure if i'm going to break the car or not.

I've done quite a bit of research, but I hate to admit, I don't know as much about cars as a thought I did.

I want to get the most out of my Camaro, what should I be doing to give it some horsepower, traction , boost ect ect.

I have quite a bit of money saved up for the car, so i'm not afraid of spending money

I would like some help from people who knows what they are doing, and this is the perfect place for it!

I hope everyone has a nice day! or night!

And also, I also have a MRT 2.0 Exhaust tips. I would like to replace the whole thing so I don't have to do any cutting. I do want to make it better for the car and or just make it sound nice. What would would you guys suggest me to do?
Like I said, money is no factor since I have quite a bit to spend on my car. Thank you!

Last edited by AquaV6; 06-04-2018 at 11:06 PM. Reason: I wanted to ask another question for the community to help me with (exhaust)
AquaV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:45 PM   #2
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
After you have 4+ yrs of driving experience on that V6, then think about kicking it up.

Srsly, take the track classes at the track before you do anything to your own car.
Respect the power of the vehicle.

Yes, I am an old woman, but I've lived this long.

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:53 PM   #3
AquaV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCMADONNA View Post
After you have 4+ yrs of driving experience on that V6, then think about kicking it up.

Srsly, take the track classes at the track before you do anything to your own car.
Respect the power of the vehicle.

Yes, I am an old woman, but I've lived this long.
I'm not sure, i'm very encouraged to start doing modifcations to my car to get a start, ya know? But thank you for your advise! I will be taking the track classes, that never even crossed my mind! Learning already!

Thank you so much!
Old 06-04-2018, 09:58 PM   #4
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
I track my LFX Camaro, and the only thing I would suggest for now is safety and longevity mods.

Replace the brake fluid! The DOT3 will boil over and leave you with no brakes going into a turn at 100mph. I went with some Motul DOT4 and it still got a little soft on me and I had to dial back my speed on the straight.

Your transmission will overheat if you run more than 15 mins hard on it. If you can get a transmission cooler, do it, otherwise be aware of your temperatures and if the shifts get slow, take a couple cool down laps.

That's it for your first track day or 2. You will be amazed at some of the cars you can outrun out there. After you get better, 285 tires all around with lighter wheels would probably be first mod, then swaybars and possibly bushings. After all that, power mods.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 PM   #5
AquaV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamR3D88 View Post
I track my LFX Camaro, and the only thing I would suggest for now is safety and longevity mods.

Replace the brake fluid! The DOT3 will boil over and leave you with no brakes going into a turn at 100mph. I went with some Motul DOT4 and it still got a little soft on me and I had to dial back my speed on the straight.

Your transmission will overheat if you run more than 15 mins hard on it. If you can get a transmission cooler, do it, otherwise be aware of your temperatures and if the shifts get slow, take a couple cool down laps.

That's it for your first track day or 2. You will be amazed at some of the cars you can outrun out there. After you get better, 285 tires all around with lighter wheels would probably be first mod, then swaybars and possibly bushings. After all that, power mods.

Jesus! Thank you so much! Like I said to the last person, never even thought about it! Thank you brother! Have a nice day!
Old 06-04-2018, 11:01 PM   #6
IamR3D88

Yea, most tracks will REQUIRE you to have an instructor your first time, and if they don't REQUEST ONE!

I can drive circles around my friends and family, but first time out there, you learn a LOT. Listen to them, and to what your car is doing.

You will learn quickly that the car understeers bad, but that is fine for now. Again, after fluid and trans cooler, handling mods help more than power mods. Each track is different, but at mine I can only go WOT about 3 times, once very briefly. Handling is key to going fast.

Old 06-04-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
AquaV6

Quote:
Yea, most tracks will REQUIRE you to have an instructor your first time, and if they don't REQUEST ONE!

I can drive circles around my friends and family, but first time out there, you learn a LOT. Listen to them, and to what your car is doing.

You will learn quickly that the car understeers bad, but that is fine for now. Again, after fluid and trans cooler, handling mods help more than power mods. Each track is different, but at mine I can only go WOT about 3 times, once very briefly. Handling is key to going fast.

Yeah, I put my location in Miami but I live in Sebring, i'm not sure if they do track days (highly doubt they don't) but i'm going to check and see. What trans cooler would you recommend? I want to put it in my things to buy for the car!
Thank you so much!
Old 06-05-2018, 12:02 AM   #8
IamR3D88

I'll let someone else chime in on trans cooler, I still dont have one (I do a lot of cool down laps). It sounds like they are fairly universal though.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:26 PM   #9
AquaV6

Quote:
I'll let someone else chime in on trans cooler, I still dont have one (I do a lot of cool down laps). It sounds like they are fairly universal though.

Alright, i'll be doing some more research to find out which one is the best. thank you!
Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Beyond that, I'd say get ZL1 or 1LE sway bars and springs, and maybe the 1LE strut tower brace too. There's tons of options for sways and springs, that's just my suggestion. You should definitely look into options to see what is a good fit. With nice tires, the car will handle like it's on rails.

If you already have the MRT V2 mufflers, grab the Magnaflow 11386 x muffler and replace it where the stock H pipe and resonators are. I'd say if you're into it, might as well remove the rest of the exhaust and have new 2.5" stainless bent and welded up between it and the MRT V2s, cause the stock V6 exhaust is 2.25". The Magnaflow 11386 will help keep the drone in check though - if you drive a lot like me (my 13 has over 100k), having the noise around town is fun but on the highway it's murder.

Then if you really want more power, basic stuff. Intake, can't go wrong with any. Grab an air scoop too. Ported throttle body, or the Overkill 80mm throttle body. I don't know if you're subject to emissions testing - if you are, you probably could only get away with deleting your secondary cats or getting high flow cats, but if not, might as well get catless downpipes. Then a tune to wrap it together - Overkill again is a great option.

Since your goal is to track, I'd say look into an SS hood vent too if you're into it. Temperature control is important.

Just, you know. Respect the car. Over 300hp is plenty to get into deadly / jail speeds, and the car is over 3800lbs. It doesn't stop on a dime (yet).
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #11
AquaV6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Beyond that, I'd say get ZL1 or 1LE sway bars and springs, and maybe the 1LE strut tower brace too. There's tons of options for sways and springs, that's just my suggestion. You should definitely look into options to see what is a good fit. With nice tires, the car will handle like it's on rails.

If you already have the MRT V2 mufflers, grab the Magnaflow 11386 x muffler and replace it where the stock H pipe and resonators are. I'd say if you're into it, might as well remove the rest of the exhaust and have new 2.5" stainless bent and welded up between it and the MRT V2s, cause the stock V6 exhaust is 2.25". The Magnaflow 11386 will help keep the drone in check though - if you drive a lot like me (my 13 has over 100k), having the noise around town is fun but on the highway it's murder.

Then if you really want more power, basic stuff. Intake, can't go wrong with any. Grab an air scoop too. Ported throttle body, or the Overkill 80mm throttle body. I don't know if you're subject to emissions testing - if you are, you probably could only get away with deleting your secondary cats or getting high flow cats, but if not, might as well get catless downpipes. Then a tune to wrap it together - Overkill again is a great option.

Since your goal is to track, I'd say look into an SS hood vent too if you're into it. Temperature control is important.

Just, you know. Respect the car. Over 300hp is plenty to get into deadly / jail speeds, and the car is over 3800lbs. It doesn't stop on a dime (yet).
Thank you! In florida, we don't have those emissions tests luckly. I was thinking about getting the magnaflow stuff but I might just put the MRT 2.0's on. I really like the sound of them, but now i'm concerned with Drone, will they have drone if I just put them on without the magnaflow?

Anyways, thank you again! I have been looking into getting an SS hood for the car, or anything with hood vents and looks nice.

I do already have plans to replace the intake and the intake manifold.

Thanks for your help though!!!
Old 06-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
AquaV6

Did a little more research into the MRT V2's , drone can become an issue, so I did go ahead and just ordered the Magnaflow x pipe. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaV6 View Post
Did a little more research into the MRT V2's , drone can become an issue, so I did go ahead and just ordered the Magnaflow x pipe. Thank you!

Great. You can see how it sounds with just the MRT V2s, but definitely don't drive it. It'll be awful. Add the Magnaflow 11386 in place of the stock H and resonators and you'll see a huge improvement in sound just outside. It's honestly the best addition to the V6 that can be made exhaust wise.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
Tech@B&MRacing

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaV6 View Post
Yeah, I put my location in Miami but I live in Sebring, i'm not sure if they do track days (highly doubt they don't) but i'm going to check and see. What trans cooler would you recommend? I want to put it in my things to buy for the car!
Thank you so much!
B&M Racing offers a number of ATF, oil and universal fluid coolers. Our Race SuperCooler (part#'s 70273 or 70266) will make a perfect addition to your Camaro to help keep things cool on the track. I recommend these coolers specifically because the inlet and outlet use thread-on style NPT fittings rather than a nipple and hose clamp (a must for racing, don't let a $.10 hose clamp end your day). We recommend using our SuperCoolers in conjunction with your stock ATF cooler (usually located within the radiator itself) this will make for a shorter and much cleaner installation. The added fluid capacity over stock also helps to keep the temps low. I have included a link below to all of our SuperCooler offerings. If you have additional questions please feel free to PM me or give us a call at 707-544-4761.

B&M Racing SuperCoolers

- Jason @ B&M Racing
Tech@B&MRacing is offline   Reply With Quote