Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #1
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Kooks LT + Borla Touring = Loud

Just installed a Borla Touring Cat back system. I've been running Kooks long tubes and stock exhaust until the resonator failed, it was rattling like a bell. The sound level with stock Cat-back was Ok during normal driving. Anyway the Borla seems too loud in the cabin, even with sound deadening installed.

Does anyone have any direct experience with sound levels between Kooks LTs/Borla Touring and Kooks and other aftermarket exhaust? I'm looking for something quieter.

This is on a 2SS L99, Vector tune, CAI cold air intake, Kooks long tubes, high flow Cats and now the Borla Touring Cat back.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #2
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
WOW, you must have some sensitve ears or not like loud cars. I have LTs, no cats, the tru-x and the rest factory with resonators and mine is not much louder than stock unless you get on it. I have heard several cars with LTs, no cats or high flow cats and borla and other cat backs and it isnt too loud at all...

Look into Flowmaster American Thunder... sounds great and I dont think its too loud but sound is relative to the one receiving the sound... I'll take your Borla system.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
SS Drifter

The Borla Touring sounds nice but, I also need to do some business on the cell phone during long drives. Maybe I should have gone with Corsa.

If I find something else that works the Borla's will be up for sale.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 AM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i have corsa and its nice during low rpm driving, and it sounds great under wot... but as a kid i want LOUD... i have corsa and k&N CAI on a ls3 so its loud but i really want kooks headers
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:33 AM   #5
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You might want to check out the Magnaflow Street catback. It has two mufflers and a resonated X pipe. It thats still too loud for you, I don't know what to say. The Magnaflow Street is as quiet as it gets as far as aftermarket catbacks.

My car with Kooks LT, high flow cats, and Magnaflow Street catback was pretty darn quiet at cruise speeds.
I've since gone catless and its noticably louder (I like it). It was a little too tame for me before.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #6
shaner74

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
SS Drifter, I have pretty much the same setup: kooks lt's, high-flow cats, CAI's CAI. I have the factory h-pipe/resonator though. Anyway the stock mufflers were way too loud for me after installing the headers so yesterday I installed the dynomax axle-back system. It sounds great. It has a nice low but raspy tone, not the "barking" sound the stock mufflers had. Inside the car i can barely hear it when I'm just cruising, but when i jump on it, it sounds fantastic.
shaner74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 AM   #7
SS Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
You might want to check out the Magnaflow Street catback. It has two mufflers and a resonated X pipe. It thats still too loud for you, I don't know what to say. The Magnaflow Street is as quiet as it gets as far as aftermarket catbacks.

My car with Kooks LT, high flow cats, and Magnaflow Street catback was pretty darn quiet at cruise speeds.
I've since gone catless and its noticably louder (I like it). It was a little too tame for me before.

How would you compare the noise level with cats to bone stock or Kooks and stock cat back, if you tried that combo?

Last edited by SS Drifter; 07-05-2010 at 04:48 AM.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 AM   #8
SS Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner74 View Post
SS Drifter, I have pretty much the same setup: kooks lt's, high-flow cats, CAI's CAI. I have the factory h-pipe/resonator though. Anyway the stock mufflers were way too loud for me after installing the headers so yesterday I installed the dynomax axle-back system. It sounds great. It has a nice low but raspy tone, not the "barking" sound the stock mufflers had. Inside the car i canew resolnatormmn barely hear it when I'm just cruising, but when i jump on it, it sounds fantastic.
Interesting, the sound level of the factory exhaust and Kooks was acceptable to me. Although too loud the Borla does produce a cleaner note than factory cat-back and the car lost some weight without the two big washtubs in back. Maybe I just need to replace or repair the bad factory resonator and put that in front of the Borlas. If that still too loud then go with the dynomax. My only concern is the hassle of another resonator failure.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:56 AM   #9
SS Drifter

The Magnaflow street catback could be an option too. Anyone in So Cal or the SF Bay that has Magnaflow street catback or the Dynomax behind Kooks and is willing to let me listen?
Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
How would you compare the noise level with cats to bone stock or Kooks and stock cat back, if you tried that combo?
I haven't tried that combo, but it should be pretty similar.
The Magnaflow street catback is real quiet all by itself (without long tubes). With long tubes I think it sounds perfect. It's aggressive sounding at WOT (wide open throttle), but it keeps the car relatively quiet on cold start ups and keeps the car quiet at cruise speeds.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #11
SS Drifter

Talked to Borla today, they don't offer a resonator to replace the x-tubes so this system is coming off. I'll cut and weld the defective stock resonator, if that fails then it looks like a Magnaflow street catback is in the Camaro's future.

The Borla system is posted for sale.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #12
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Louder the better, love my LT's and Corsa.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
I dont understand why people think Borla , Longtubes are so loud.

I run Borla S , Longtubes and No Catts and its all in the way you drive the car.

Drone can be controled by how to work the gas pedal. Just drive it normally and when you hear drone back off the pedal enough for sound to go away but keep the car moving at the same speed.

If any of you have heard a Mustang with Flowmasters and no Cats thats louder than a borla set up on a Camaro.

WOT my car sounds like an Animal but normal driving it sounds like a Camaro with Borla nice and deep and not loud.

I listen to my radio at 16 and hear it perfectly and dont have any problems with loud drone.

Beleive it or not you can drive these cars normally and at WOT and enjoy it with Borla.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #14
SS Drifter

Jekyll,
I don't mind the noise level when I'm getting on it. It's too loud for me when driving normally. I'm sure this system will find a good home in another Camaro.