Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-28-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Drives: None
$200Kish Exotics

Which one of these do you guys like the best and why?

Mclaren MP4-12C
Ferrari 458
Lamborghini Gallardo
Lamborghini Murcielago
MB SLS AMG
Audi R8 (V10 version)

I know it's not out yet, but that Mclaren seems like it's going to be the best of the bunch. I gotta go with the MP4-12C with it's 600+ HP and light weight. Seems like Mclaren has every base covered with this car: looks, innovation, handling, power, comfort, and reliability.

I love the 458, but as with all Ferraris, the maintenance costs will kill you. I think the SLS is really cool, but I'd rather have a mid-engine car for that money. I hate the stupid looking razor slot thingies on the Audi, but it's a cool car too. The Lamborghinis just need a major update IMHO. They look older than they are.

I guess that the top 911s could be on this list too, but I just think they are butt ugly. 911s are a lot of fun, but still look like they were designed in the '70s and updated throughout the years. Oh yeah, they were!

OK enough dreaming for me. I'm going to get into my Honda Pilot and go home.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Drives: 2010 RS/SS IOM Camaro
You mean these cars? I thought I would post the pics since I'm sure most people can't visualize these cars in their minds. I pick the Ferrari 458, on looks alone.

Mclaren MP4-12C

Ferrari 458

Lamborghini Gallardo

Lamborghini Murcielago

MB SLS AMG

Audi R8 (V10 version)

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
prostock69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:23 AM   #3
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Yeah, I love the 458 too! However, the $225K you pay for it is just the beginning of a HUGE bill to pay before you get rid of it. It's one of those cars that is truly for the very rich, for people that think $100K is chump change. :(
Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #4
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Give me a Ford GT over all those cars anyday.

All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
Yeah, I love the 458 too! However, the $225K you pay for it is just the beginning of a HUGE bill to pay before you get rid of it. It's one of those cars that is truly for the very rich, for people that think $100K is chump change. :(
I know! The cost of a tune up and oil change alone would be more than an average person's house payment. It's ridiculous. They are great to look at and fun to drive but in the end, they are a money pit. Not for me. If I were rich, I would have a huge collection of antique muscle cars. Now there are some cars you can work on and that won't cost you an arm and a leg to upkeep (other than storing them).

MODS: Borla "S" Type Exhaust, American Racing Headers 3" Longtubes, New Era Cold Air Intake, HP Tune, Custom Ground Camshaft, Professionally Ported Heads by Darin Morgan, Ported Throttle Body, 3000 Stall Converter, and 160 Degree Thermostat.

http://www.rehermorrison.com/; http://www.darinmorgan.com/; http://www.neweraperformance.com/
Old 07-28-2010, 06:49 AM   #6
prostock69
Female Muscle Car Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-Or-Nothing View Post

Nice!

Old 07-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #7
Trailbreaker77

Drives: 2010 Transformers Edition
Quote:

One of my next door neighbors has this in blue.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
the upcoming

Drives: 10'2SS/RS,94'toyoda,02'vette
Quote:

Nice with the SV 29s too those rims look good on there
the upcoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

I thought about putting the GT on the list, but you can't buy a new one anymore. Good luck finding one for $200K too. Plus, you can get that engine in a GT500 now. I do like that car though. Nice ride!
Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #10
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInMoscow View Post
I thought about putting the GT on the list, but you can't buy a new one anymore. Good luck finding one for $200K too. Plus, you can get that engine in a GT500 now. I do like that car though. Nice ride!
LOL......It does not have the same engine as in the GT500.
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #11
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Technically you are correct. It's not the exact same engine, but here is what autoblog says about it in their interview with the head SVT engineer:

"We recently had a chance to sit down with GT500 chief nameplate engineer Jamal Hameedi in his office at SVT's headquarters to learn more about what's new for 2011. Switching to an aluminum block was a bit more complicated than simply digging out the casting molds that were used for the GT. The engine in that 200+ mph supercar used a dry sump lubrication system and featured iron cylinder liners. The new GT500 engine is derived from the structural design of the older block but retains the wet sump system used in other Mustangs."

Seems that the GT500 has a better engine? Not that I care. I still want the Mclaren with my fictional money.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM   #12
HeHasReturned

Drives: GTI
Haha, I remember you had a thread about owning a Ferrari, in which I told you about how you better have over 100k just to pay for maintenance/insurance lol. Sorry I turned you away from it.
Oh well, to be honest, all those cars are going to have huge maintenance costs. The McLaren is probably just as much as the Ferrari, same goes for the Lambos. The r8 and the SLS Amg will have cheaper maintenance, but it doesn't appear that you like them very much. Based on your criteria though, those two seem to be the best fit. Yet, you can't get the SLS in manual (which is a no-no for a sports car lol). However, the SLS will also turn heads wherever you go.
If you are honestly considering this for yourself, and it sounds like you have about 250k to spend on the car and in maintenance, why not consider buying a two or three year old ferrari with less than 4-5k miles for like 100k cheaper? That will pay the maintenance right there.
If you don't want used, but still want a nice car, the maserati granturismo is sexy. It's not that fast, but it is an exotic. Maybe even an Aston Martin Vantage? Those are still very nice cars...
HeHasReturned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
im rooting for Mclaren on this one. i hope they get their dealer network going smoothly. they are planing for both a 60-80k ish car and a true all out 1 mil ish car. i want to see what they bring out.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
LostInMoscow
Exiled Speed Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeHasReturned View Post
Haha, I remember you had a thread about owning a Ferrari, in which I told you about how you better have over 100k just to pay for maintenance/insurance lol. Sorry I turned you away from it.
Oh well, to be honest, all those cars are going to have huge maintenance costs. The McLaren is probably just as much as the Ferrari, same goes for the Lambos. The r8 and the SLS Amg will have cheaper maintenance, but it doesn't appear that you like them very much. Based on your criteria though, those two seem to be the best fit. Yet, you can't get the SLS in manual (which is a no-no for a sports car lol). However, the SLS will also turn heads wherever you go.
If you are honestly considering this for yourself, and it sounds like you have about 250k to spend on the car and in maintenance, why not consider buying a two or three year old ferrari with less than 4-5k miles for like 100k cheaper? That will pay the maintenance right there.
If you don't want used, but still want a nice car, the maserati granturismo is sexy. It's not that fast, but it is an exotic. Maybe even an Aston Martin Vantage? Those are still very nice cars...
What I did after that thread was to talk to several dealers and a Mclaren rep. I also went down to Moscow Lamborghini and talked to a mechanic. Apparently, the AMG, Audi and Mclaren will have significantly less maintenance costs than the others. Of course, Mclaren can say what they want right now because their car isn't in production yet. But at least they aren't saying that they will be way up there like Ferrari. Why can't they all be like Porsche with no scheduled maintenance for 100K miles? Or maybe I should say, "Why are porsches so ugly?"