Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #15
FASTFATBOY

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Supercharger is warrantied for 10 years or 120,000 miles, this is what's known as a "special policy".

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2014/06/...ered-vehicles/

http://forumfoundrycdn.com/nickj/aut...erCoverage.pdf
FASTFATBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I think some people are missing the fact the warranty is for 2012 and 2013 ZL1s (without modifications).
I haven't seen any information the exact date the coupler was changed to the solid type. Guessing it was after OP's was build Nov 2013 but his car is a "2014" so no extended warranty coverage.
Must be why they are only paying part of replacing it. We all agree they should pay the full replacement cost but warranty work has always been unpredictable and often not fair.
If it just started making the noise the blower itself is likely ok and a coupler only changeout would last many years and miles. At a fraction of the cost of replacing the entire unit.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #17
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I think some people are missing the fact the warranty is for 2012 and 2013 ZL1s (without modifications).
I haven't seen any information the exact date the coupler was changed to the solid type. Guessing it was after OP's was build Nov 2013 but his car is a "2014" so no extended warranty coverage.
Must be why they are only paying part of replacing it. We all agree they should pay the full replacement cost but warranty work has always been unpredictable and often not fair.
If it just started making the noise the blower itself is likely ok and a coupler only changeout would last many years and miles. At a fraction of the cost of replacing the entire unit.
Yep I missed that he had a 2014, and if I remember there was a build date that some 2014 didn’t have a solid isolator. If his actually has a spring isolator vs. a pinned then he would be better off having a reputable shop swap it but I don’t know if that is his problem as some of the SC’s also had oil issues in the rollers.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #18
Red Hot ZL1

Drives: 2014 Red Hot ZL1 Vert. M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Thew service bulletin mentioned above was issued in May of 2014 and covers the 12 & 13 model years.
Yep, and my 2014 car was built in 2013 with 2013 parts.
Red Hot ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #19
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
That's why I was asking. Thanks for clearing it up.
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #20
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Yep I missed that he had a 2014, and if I remember there was a build date that some 2014 didn’t have a solid isolator. If his actually has a spring isolator vs. a pinned then he would be better off having a reputable shop swap it but I don’t know if that is his problem as some of the SC’s also had oil issues in the rollers.
Not all warranty replacements received the "Solid" coupler. The solid coupler ones only lasted about a year. After that they packed the spring coupler with a tone of grease.

It's those that have had the repair done, that get the extended warranty.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #21
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Not all warranty replacements received the "Solid" coupler. The solid coupler ones only lasted about a year. After that they packed the spring coupler with a tone of grease.

It's those that have had the repair done, that get the extended warranty.

The Extended Warranty is for all vehicles stated in the Special Bulletin not limited to those that had been repaired, and I had confirmed this in the past with Warranty Claims.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000
miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in
service, regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to replace the supercharger. This repair will be made at no charge to the customer.
For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after
May 23, 2014, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor
operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 23, 2014, must
be submitted to the Service Contract provider.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:59 AM   #22
SlingShot

^^^

That's what I meant, 14's & 15's are not covered...
Old 10-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #23
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
^^^

That's what I meant, 14's & 15's are not covered...
True, but in this case, I think the OP is wondering because even though it's a '14 model Camaro, it was built/bought in '13.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #24
Red Hot ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
True, but in this case, I think the OP is wondering because even though it's a '14 model Camaro, it was built/bought in '13.
Corporate called me today. The person that called said that she sees my point and it has been elevated.

The saga continues.

We shall see.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:59 PM   #25
SlingShot

I think they will tell you it's based on model year, not when car was produced.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:47 PM   #26
GODZL1A

Drives: 2015 ZL1
If you have to pay just take it off and send it to jokesz for a full port and rebuild for less then $2,600
GODZL1A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:03 PM   #27
Red Hot ZL1

I fixed it myself.

Chevy would not budge. It took me the weekend to do it as when they say it is a two-hour job that is when the SC is out of the car and sitting on your bench. It involved removing the front bumper assembly to drain the heat exchanger. Unhooking everything on the SC. Removing the SC lid and loosening all of the SC to head bolts to lift the SC about an inch to pull the snout out.

The coupler was a solid piece (no spring) that fell out of the snout when I puuled the snout off the SC. Imput the snout onto the SC and it was very extremely loose with a lot of slop (for me). It was equally loose on the snout.

There was also fine-sawdust/powder like material in the area of the coupler.

I cleaned everything, lubed the bearings, and installed a Lingenfelter coupler which was very snug/tight on the snout and SC with no slop/play and had to be persuaded on.

Bottom-line is it does not make any rattling noise and runs better after I cleaned everything to the SC blades.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2019, 09:25 AM   #28
Shodown

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Glad to see you got it fixed!
Shodown is offline   Reply With Quote