Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #1
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
What is the crappy part of this stereo system

OK, I've only had the car for about 3 months, but I cannot take it much more. Definitely one of the worst sounding audio systems I've ever "enjoyed" in a car. Wife-unit compares it with a transistor radio she once owned.

Of course, I didn't buy this car for the stereo, but... When a stock stereo in a 2005 Toyota truck sounds "frickin awesome" by comparison, something might have to be done.

So, spending the least amount of money possible, what's the biggest turd in the stereo system that I can replace to get some audio quality? Are the diet-restricted rear speakers the biggest issue?? Does it simply need some sound redirection?? Do I have enough power to run bigger speakers or do I need a better amp?? Or, does the whole thing suck and have to go??

I'm no audiophile, can't hear for shit anyway, but I need some better sounding tunes man! Horsepower and good music are not diametrically opposed. As a previous post noted, put in some bigger speakers and save the extra weight with a diet.

My search for an answer gave me > 5 pages of results, which then further distracted me from my task.. So, I'm sorry to rehash this subject. Just looking for a simple answer, thanks!
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
aris

Drives: Z/28
Do you have one of the cars with the actual stereo or is it just the single speaker in the door?

I'm not much of a stereo guy so I'm satisfied with whatever the optional stereo provides, but understand that may not be enough for some.
aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #3
Hooks112

Drives: '15 Z/28 #698(A/C,AW) & other stuff
Yes, I do have 6 speakers. The recent post including the no-audio option, coupled with a recent back-to-back car/truck/car trips has my mind wandering. Upcoming driving trip to Vegas/back makes my mind wander more.

I'll have to admit, I'm mostly listening to my near-expiring subscription to satellite radio, some regular radio. Not sure if this audio is better/worse than CD or AUX input, as I haven't used either of those inputs... Perhaps I'm not giving her a fair analysis yet, but the radio/radio comparison in the 2 vehicles is noticeable.
Hooks112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:01 PM   #4
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
It’s all pretty rough BUT if you replace door speakers, splice the rear speaker inputs and run a dedicated amp to power a 10” sub its plaitable (that’s what I did.) The signal out of the head unit isn’t great but I think there are some devices that can clean it up? Iirc I’m running all 4 speakers off of two channels and running a sub off the other on a 4 channel amp. Using the rear speakers as input costs you the Bluetooth phone though.

I can take pics of my setup when I get back from my work trip. I can check iCloud if anything is there.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #5
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Honestly, what you need to do is just change out the head unit. I wanted a touchscreen/back up camera/nav for when I'm not tracking the car, so I did it. The face-plate had to be changed as well, but the buttons were fading off and sticking from the P.O. anyway. Once you get away from a 3-way equalizer, it really makes a difference.

I put in an Alpine iLX-207 with Android Auto. Worth it.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #6
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
do you have the Boston system or LS entry level radio? without knowing what you have makes it hard to suggest upgrades

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:15 AM   #7
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
I bought the OEM powered subwoofer, OEM powered 4 channel amp (note: buying separately was cheaper), replaced the front speakers with infinity Kappas. I added a blue tooth puck to the "aux in" so I can stream sirius and itunes from my iphone. No wires cut, no holes drilled. All plug and play. I am very happy with my stereo now. In fact, I get complements on how it sounds. I did a DIY on my install, look up my post. Good Luck.

Last edited by hjdca; 03-06-2018 at 10:55 AM.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
kramard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjdca View Post
I bought the OEM powered subwoofer, OEM powered 4 channel amp (note: buying separately was cheaper), replaced the front speakers with infinity Kappas. I added a blue tooth puck to the "aux in" so I can stream sirius and itunes from my iphone. No wires cut, no holes drilled. All plug and play. I am very happy with my stereo now. In fact, I get complements on how it sounds. I did a DIY on my install, look up my post. Good Luck.
Howd you get input into the amp? Is the HU still powering the door speakers?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #9
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
Howd you get input into the amp? Is the HU still powering the door speakers?
The OEM 4 channel power amp and the OEM separate powered subwoofer are all plug and play. The mount bracket for the 4 channel amp is already welded under the dash, and the subwoofer brackets are already welded in the trunk. All the wire bundles from the trunk, to the amp, to the head unit are plug and play with the stock wiring harnesses and the wire bundles are the exact lengths. You can get both units separately from the GM parts supply wholesale outfits online. The Infinity kappa front separate speakers can also be installed with no cutting or drilling. Look up the DIY under my ID in this forum. You can see my step by step installation. It is definitely worth the investment in my opinion.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:43 PM   #10
AustinZ28

Drives: Several
HJDCA....thanks for taking the time to share this info. I have ordered all your suggested parts....
AustinZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #11
kramard

Quote:
The OEM 4 channel power amp and the OEM separate powered subwoofer are all plug and play. The mount bracket for the 4 channel amp is already welded under the dash, and the subwoofer brackets are already welded in the trunk. All the wire bundles from the trunk, to the amp, to the head unit are plug and play with the stock wiring harnesses and the wire bundles are the exact lengths. You can get both units separately from the GM parts supply wholesale outfits online. The Infinity kappa front separate speakers can also be installed with no cutting or drilling. Look up the DIY under my ID in this forum. You can see my step by step installation. It is definitely worth the investment in my opinion.
Awesome. That's way cleaner than what I did. I ran new speaker wire to the door speakers, mounted the amp in the trunk and needed to splice the rear speaker inputs to a line in converter.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #12
hjdca

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramard View Post
Awesome. That's way cleaner than what I did. I ran new speaker wire to the door speakers, mounted the amp in the trunk and needed to splice the rear speaker inputs to a line in converter.
yes, it is... The wiring harness that comes with the 4 channel amp connects seamlessly to the wiring harness in the back of the head unit and the whole system uses the existing stock speaker wires in the doors and rear deck panel. The sub-woofer wiring harness also seamlessly connects to the amp wiring harness. In addition, the whole system sounds very balanced. I keep all the settings flat, bass, treble, mid... The components are well matched for the overall sound in the car and the infinity kappa front separates are a very good match if you keep the rear speakers like I did. I am glad I did not change the rear speakers, I really do not think it is needed if you do the doors with the Infinity Kappas.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #13
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
yes, it is... The wiring harness that comes with the 4 channel amp connects seamlessly to the wiring harness in the back of the head unit and the whole system uses the existing stock speaker wires in the doors and rear deck panel. The sub-woofer wiring harness also seamlessly connects to the amp wiring harness. In addition, the whole system sounds very balanced. I keep all the settings flat, bass, treble, mid... The components are well matched for the overall sound in the car and the infinity kappa front separates are a very good match if you keep the rear speakers like I did. I am glad I did not change the rear speakers, I really do not think it is needed if you do the doors with the Infinity Kappas.
Can you PM the links to the OEM parts by chance? i've looked around and only found the complete 2 Sub kit but it seems overpriced and doesn't sound like it comes with the wiring you described.

OP. Sorry to thread jack but I'm interested in this as well
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 02:46 PM   #14
mb13

Drives: 2015 Z28 #980
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
do you have the Boston system or LS entry level radio? without knowing what you have makes it hard to suggest upgrades
All Z28s that have the optional ac/radio come with the basic LS radio/sound system. The BA system wasn't an option on the Z28
mb13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crappy stereo, speakers, stereo