Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #155
jroc7

Drives: *
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I would love all of that, but you and I both know that GM will get slapped with the usual demands from people just wanting a name plate like --- Full on electronics package with GPS, TouchScreen, DVD/BluRay, 18 speakers, 1500W amp, heated 10 way power seats, automatic, convertible, big pretty wheels, all season tires, etc. etc. etc and will then proceed to complain about it being slow and too heavy.

I welcome a full on racecar-like Camaro that's almost fully stripped and devoid of creature comforts.. H*ll, even ditch the rear seat entirely like the Boss LS. I want a racecar with a VIN Camaro. Not a Comfy Cruiser that can play on a track.
I recommended a while ago that they make a car based on the Grand-Am versions, with the aero package, wheels, and chassis upgrades but still with a daily-driver quality interior. Something track-oriented to compliment the 1LE but be a cheaper SS-based alternative to the ZL1.
jroc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #156
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
I would love all of that, but you and I both know that GM will get slapped with the usual demands from people just wanting a name plate like --- Full on electronics package with GPS, TouchScreen, DVD/BluRay, 18 speakers, 1500W amp, heated 10 way power seats, automatic, convertible, big pretty wheels, all season tires, etc. etc. etc and will then proceed to complain about it being slow and too heavy.

I welcome a full on racecar-like Camaro that's almost fully stripped and devoid of creature comforts.. H*ll, even ditch the rear seat entirely like the Boss LS. I want a racecar with a VIN Camaro. Not a Comfy Cruiser that can play on a track.
I think that's pretty much going to be the ZL1's market. The GPS would be useful in the Z/28 for tracking lap performance so I can see that being included but that's about it. Leaving out and/or reducing those other areas are great opportunities for weight reduction. A radio with 2 speakers in the front are all you need; owners can add all that heavy crap aftermarket if they want it. The Z/28 doesn't need a rear seat; a rollbar and racing belt hook-ups are what it needs.

Pull the parasitical devices off the engine by going with an electrical water pump and steering pump; free-up that horsepower and engine response. Go with a 1-piece driveshaft and balance the drivetrain so the engine can safely go to 8,000 rpm. Put flywheel safety blankets and driveshaft loops in standard. Make it a race-capable track car that's just barely street legal so you can drive it to and from the track.

I really hope they don't bog it down with parking lot add-ons for the standers-around crowd. I suspect they won't; I'm keeping the faith.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #157
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
I'm good with all that..

HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #158
imgntht

Drives: '15 GMC Terrain, '19 Buick Enclave
Let's face it, GM is going to screw this up...all those that are hoping for a true track star my money says you're going to be disappointed. I'm guessing they will simply rename the current 5th gen SS to become the 6th gen equivalent.

And no, I'm not a GM hater by any means. I own nothing but GM cars as does almost my spouse's entire family. I just think GM made a mistake introducing the naming of ZL1 and 1LE and this is their way to use Z/28. It makes sense to me to drop the Camaro SS based on the upcoming sedan bearing the same name. And with all the excitement for the name nomencalture itself, I could see GM wanting to capitalize on it by making it more of a bread and butter sales volume arena.

I hope I'm wrong, but only time will tell.

Last edited by imgntht; 09-17-2012 at 03:26 PM.
imgntht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #159
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
So confused as to how my thread turned into a reply on another thread. LOL Love that "hyper-threading" Mods!

Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:35 AM   #160
Whorable MPG1975
I'd rather be Blown.

Drives: 1975 CAMARO 454ciBBC/TKO-600
Stir that pot, baby!!!
Whorable MPG1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #161
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
My guess is it will replace the 1LE since it is only an option package to the SS..I mean really the 1LE was never really a model for a camaro, and Z/28 wasn't intended to be either but the RPO code spawned a love and enthusiasm for the past 40+ years!! I look forward to the Z/28 MY'14 and conv MY'15 and no longer the 1LE!!!

Last edited by Mikes SS; 09-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #162
Dirtdog
Pro Hide n Seek Player

Drives: 2010 SS LS3/LSA 620whp/630tq
Send a message via AIM to Dirtdog
Z28 on the left?

This was on Chevys FB Page under concepts

620whp/630wtq. ADM LSA Conversion, E85, PFADT Tri-Y Headers into Borla S, PFADT Swaybars, Springs, Links, 20x10 20x11 Forgestar F14s, Lots of AAC
Dirtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:46 AM   #163
imgntht

Drives: '15 GMC Terrain, '19 Buick Enclave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
Z28 on the left?

Lord no...that was intended to be a 4cyl I thought. I liked the concept when they showed it at the Chicago Auto Show back in February, but by no way would that make a good Camaro.
imgntht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:00 PM   #164
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdog View Post
Z28 on the left?

That's the 130R

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/09/c...-detroit-2012/

"Under the hood of the Code 130R, a turbocharged 1.4-liter four-cylinder engine delivers 150 horsepower and 148 pound-feet of torque, and an eAssist system lends an electric hand when needed. The Code 130R also boasts either a six-speed manual or a six-speed automatic transmission. With a front-engine, rear-wheel-drive layout, the Code 130R would offer buyers an engaging drive and design in an economical and affordable package, if it were ever built."
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #165
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I wonder if anyone has thought that **maybe** GM filed this trademark application because they saw someone making t-shirts/hats/coffee mugs/keychains/koozies/etc. with the Z/28 symbol on it and realized that they didn't have it trademarked to be able to file suit against those infringers...

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #166
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
Funny, the dealer had no idea what I was talking about when I asked him if I could pre-order the Z28. I have waited 40 years for a Z28, dammit GM, do NOT TEASE ME.

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #167
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I wonder if anyone has thought that **maybe** GM filed this trademark application because they saw someone making t-shirts/hats/coffee mugs/keychains/koozies/etc. with the Z/28 symbol on it and realized that they didn't have it trademarked to be able to file suit against those infringers...

Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #168
cohulen

Drives: RS, SS and HPE650 Camaro
That Z28 will probably use the LS7 engine and get the 1LE package as standard. That´s at least what I would do if I were to use that badge and accomodate the model somehow in the current line-up.
cohulen is offline   Reply With Quote