Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-05-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
mr_desmo
Banned

Drives: beated up old mini austin
Downpipes from ADM!!!

Is there anybody besides me that would like adm motorsports to built downpipes (test pipes that removes cats) like they do on the v8's????They are the same cats and removing them gives 30whp 30wtq for only 219.99$ which i think besides nitrous kit is the best bang for the buck available ...gives 90% of the power of the longtubes, removes 22 pounds , enhance the sound greatly, will get you better gaz mileage etc!!!!
Whos in?

And i dont work for adm, im a simple enthusiast like you all
mr_desmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #2
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_desmo View Post
Is there anybody besides me that would like adm motorsports to built downpipes (test pipes that removes cats) like they do on the v8's????They are the same cats and removing them gives 30whp 30wtq for only 219.99$ which i think besides nitrous kit is the best bang for the buck available ...gives 90% of the power of the longtubes, removes 22 pounds , enhance the sound greatly, will get you better gaz mileage etc!!!!
Whos in?

And i dont work for adm, im a simple enthusiast like you all
Would probably give less power than that for the V6, but would still be nice gains.

Honestly though, I'd rather just pick up some high-flow ceramic core cats. The slight gain for test pipe vs. high flow cats is virtually negligible, but that way you aren't spewing rediculous amounts of toxins into the air when the engine goes into lean burn mode.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
mr_desmo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
Would probably give less power than that for the V6, but would still be nice gains.

Honestly though, I'd rather just pick up some high-flow ceramic core cats. The slight gain for test pipe vs. high flow cats is virtually negligible, but that way you aren't spewing rediculous amounts of toxins into the air when the engine goes into lean burn mode.
- X
totally agreed, but i myself want test pipes for the cost and the fact that ill get my car tuned, so more power and burning clean unlike the 11/1 stock AF ratio!
Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM   #4
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
totally agreed, but i myself want test pipes for the cost and the fact that ill get my car tuned, so more power and burning clean unlike the 11/1 stock AF ratio!
Thats not the part I was talking about. When a DI engine goes into lean burn mode, its emissions go up exponentially.
- X

Old 07-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
mr_desmo
Banned

Quote:
Thats not the part I was talking about. When a DI engine goes into lean burn mode, its emissions go up exponentially.
- X
care to explain this a bit further?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #6
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Per wikipedia, but thats only because I don't have the time to cite a more reliable source tonight.

Quote:
The main drawback of lean burning is the large amount of NOx being generated at relatively high air/fuel ratios (ie. greater than stoichiometric but less than 30:1), so a complex catalytic converter system is required unless ultra lean ratios are implemented. Lean burn engines do not work well with modern 3-way catalytic converters, which require a balance of pollutants at the exhaust port in order to carry out both oxidation and reduction reactions, so most modern engines run at or near the stoichiometric point.
Now, I could be off base, but I'm pretty sure that our engine runs in the <30:1 range in lean burn mode, not the 65:1ish range for ultra lean burn.
- X

Old 07-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #7
mr_desmo
Banned

Quote:
Per wikipedia, but thats only because I don't have the time to cite a more reliable source tonight.

Now, I could be off base, but I'm pretty sure that our engine runs in the <30:1 range in lean burn mode, not the 65:1ish range for ultra lean burn.
- X
Thanks, thats all i needed to know , the car runs rich for the cats to do their job...so remove cats get the car tuned ,be done. next add nitro, race 997tt have fun
Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Thanks, thats all i needed to know , the car runs rich for the cats to do their job...so remove cats get the car tuned ,be done. next add nitro, race 997tt have fun
No. You missed the point - direct injection engines go into a lean burn mode when cruising on the highway; thats how they get such good gas mileage on the highway.

If you were to remove the cats, "getting the car tuned" would have to include "tuning out the lean burn mode" which wouldn't be possible with a piggy back system, and thats all that it looks like we'll have for a while (the cobalt SS guys haven't even been able to crack this box yet, and they've had ahold of it for a while now).

So, its either high-flow cats or spit out huge amounts of NOx. Hopefully you don't have emissions testing.
- X

P.S. - And if you were to tune out the lean burn mode, it would absolutely cripple your gas mileage. Lean burn mode can account for a 25-30% improvement in gas mileage, so you're looking at an 8 mpg drop or so.