Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Camonster

Drives: 2013 Rally Yellow Camaro 2SS/RS
Why does no one listen to the manual regarding fluid changes?

The service manual on the SS doesn't say to do any oil changes until I believe 7-7500 miles. Why does everyone say to get it changed after only 1500 miles or so? I know that used to be the rule, but with the advances in synthetics, is that really applicable these days?
Camonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
The issue isn't with the type of oil used, it is with the debris from the engine's break in. I tend to ignore most people's advice from the forum, but I still changed my oil at 1021 miles.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
A lot of the time, an early oil change Is done to check for wear metals on a new engine. Otherwise, most people change at 5k or when the OLM tells them too. There are exceptions though. Heavily modded engines or track use require more frequent changes.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
why? because it's the one thing we all can do and it's our hobby! How you feel about oil changes is one of the great opinions all enthusiasts share and never agree on....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #5
dixonk

Drives: 2011 Audi Q7
Send a message via Skype™ to dixonk
I don't listen to the manual because my manual doesn't have any instructions for services other than wait for the DIC to tell me to get my oil changed. Everything I do has a plan and a schedule and I can't just wing it and leave crap on the hands of a computer.
dixonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:48 AM   #6
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
A lot of the time, an early oil change Is done to check for wear metals on a new engine. Otherwise, most people change at 5k or when the OLM tells them too. There are exceptions though. Heavily modded engines or track use require more frequent changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonk View Post
I don't listen to the manual because my manual doesn't have any instructions for services other than wait for the DIC to tell me to get my oil changed. Everything I do has a plan and a schedule and I can't just wing it and leave crap on the hands of a computer.
well put you two
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
RogerBzSS

Drives: 11 IBM n White 2SS/RS M6
I am just overly cautious "ok Anal" about my SS and the heartbeat and drive train and looking to keep it well protected from the get go.. yes an increase of costs "ok waste of $$ in anthers eyes" to service the car's blood.

we all know oil is good for X period of Miles

most of us over cautious "ok Im not calling every one else anal" Camaro owners do it just because of our own thought process and most of all reading the C5 Forum and what everyone else does most of us follow suit from those that have experience and we all find that in here and put in to repetition and guidance from this site with the vast "ok Huge amount of wasteful" information that gets posted on forums..

I bet the Ford and Mopar camps have this same exact thing going on..

When should I what do I use Whats best How Often!!!
Black CIA -Powder Coated Red Air Scoop - Vmax Ported Throttle Body - Ceramic Coated Dynatek Headers - High Flow Cats out thru factory Cat Back - JRE rough idle cam package - Trunion Upgrade - Valve Springs - Hardened Push rods - 3 bolt timing gear - SLP Under drive pully- Washer bottle relo kit - Hurst Short Throw Shifter with updated pin bushing from C5 member NH-SS - IdealG's improved Master Cylinder - GTO Clutch reservoir - L99 Brake Reservoir - Stainless Braided clutch line - wrapped up with a JRE Tune My SS layed down 462 hp on JRE's Superflow Dyno
RogerBzSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
suzook

Drives: camaro
Don't you think the manufacturer knows when to do maintenance??? Your motor is warrantied for 100k miles....why waste $ on unnecessary oil changes? Motors have changed DRASTICALLY in the last 20 years....get over the 3k mile oil change...those days are LONG gone!
Old 07-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #9
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Has anyone on this thread changed their rear differential fluid? Haha.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
suzook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGUNNER View Post
Has anyone on this thread changed their rear differential fluid? Haha.
What's that? I thought the only fluid needing attention was oil????
Old 07-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
My car says 63% oil life left and I am already thinking of changing it.

I have gone just under 6500kms or 4000 miles since my last change.

I would go out and do it now but its 37c with 65% humidity for a real feal about 46c or 115 degrees.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:04 PM   #12
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camonster View Post
The service manual on the SS doesn't say to do any oil changes until I believe 7-7500 miles. Why does everyone say to get it changed after only 1500 miles or so? I know that used to be the rule, but with the advances in synthetics, is that really applicable these days?

I follow the OLM
Old 07-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Im failing to see the problem....are you suggesting that changing the oil earlier than the manual states is bad for the car?
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #14
suzook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyder View Post
Im failing to see the problem....are you suggesting that changing the oil earlier than the manual states is bad for the car?
No...just a waste of $.