Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Drives: 2015 Silver 1SS/RS M6
Camaro for birthday weekend

Well, I decided to fork up the cash to fulfill my dream of driving a 2010 Camaro and reserved one for the weekend. And as the title says, its for a birthday weekend! Problem is its not mine but my wife's

Now I know what you are thinking, why am I getting something for me on my wife's birthday. Well, I know for a fact she will enjoy driving it once. She's said she doesn't like driving cars she doesn't own but she'll want to drive it at least once. And this is for both of us because I'll be driving her around all saturday for stuff on her birthday.

So here are the weekend plans:
She coaches softball and has practice friday night so I'm going to get it while she's out. I'm going to pick her up with it and include a boquet of flowers in the seat. Then saturday morning were going for a nice cruise out to Red Rock state park (13 mile circuit with great view) and take some pictures. Then I told her to get a wax/spa reservation around 10:30 so she can relax. After that I made reservations to have lunch at the Stratosphere's Top of the World restaurant. Its lunch with a 360 degree view 80 stories up! After that we'll cruise around some more and maybe finish off with a movie. Then sunday we have church in the park. A few car guys will love it and I can take some of the teens for a ride, it'll be fun.

So, that's the plan. I'll post pictures here afterwards. If I don't ever reply, its because my wife freaked out and either castrated me or stuffed me in a box and shipped me to Africa... But I think she'll like it.

One thing I wanted to check: would it be safe to do a fuse pull on the rental? I know not everyone is going to have put premium in it so I thought about doing it. I paid for the insurance anyway

Edit: oh, and its an SS rental, hence the fuse pull. If you're wondering, total came to $405 with insurance for 2 days. If you ever rent a car, check out www.rentalcarmomma.com they have codes for most companies and it saved me over $100.

Last edited by jcamaro; 09-28-2009 at 12:00 PM.
jcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Speed 1

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro 365 days a year
Sounds to me like great plans!!! Enjoy!!!!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
AWESOME! I am sure she will love it BUT she may think you bought her a car! I love Red Rock and the Stratosphere! Huge Vegas fan here, been a dozen times at least! It is a great idea but can the fuse pull idea. It will run fine. Look what are you used to driving! It will run circles around the Hyn.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

I've driven hemi chargers and once a corvette. And my father-in-law has a Chevy dually with a 454 big block 4-speed manual in it, so I'm not new to driving something with power. I was just thinking about the fuel people put in rentals and it popped in my head. I'm sure it will have plenty of power anyway. And I never checked, do all autos have tap shift or is that extra? I always price M6s on the chevy website.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamaro View Post
I've driven hemi chargers and once a corvette. And my father-in-law has a Chevy dually with a 454 big block 4-speed manual in it, so I'm not new to driving something with power. I was just thinking about the fuel people put in rentals and it popped in my head. I'm sure it will have plenty of power anyway. And I never checked, do all autos have tap shift or is that extra? I always price M6s on the chevy website.
tap shift is standard.

Don't confuse the power of the dually with the power of the camaro. totally different. We had a 454 four speed truck once... it was not the same! hemi chargers run OK, was it R/T or SRT? What gen corvette? C5 or C6.. older? If it was a C6, the camaro will not compare. I sold a 2007 C6 for the Camaro and the camaro is slower. Not a ton, but slower. My friend has an R/T charger, its nice but not terribly fast. You will be pleased with the power of the L99 I am sure.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

I test drove an SRT-8 at the dealer but relative had an R/T so that's what I was used to. It had intake and exhaust upgrades so it was close to 350hp. Took it to the drag strip once and my best time was 15.4 at 92mph. The vette was a 90s era of my uncles. It was a while ago so I don't remember what year. He would lease it and trade for a new one almost every year. As for the chevy, I know it doesn't compare to the speed on a camaro but it sure can move. Starting in 2nd it will get to 30mp very quickly, but its a granny shifter and 3rd is a full arm length away and not easy to find... So it slows down the 0-60 time a lot. He wants to put an auto in it, so then we'll see the full potential.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Abygale

Drives: .
JC, your plans to surprise your wife sound great. Personally I don't see how she could not absolutely love your thoughtfulness. The flowers are just the right touch for picking her up in the car.

You probably already know this but just in case here is a tip. If you are getting flowers in a vase be sure to ask the florist for a box so that they won't tip over and spill in the car. Also, make sure the vase isn't filled up too high with water.

She's probably going to fall in love with you all over again!
Abygale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
jcamaro
Obsessed Much?

Well, seems they don't take debit cards and I don't have a credit card high enough to put this on. So no chance of getting one any time soon. Oh well. Maybe in 5 years with my car is paid off I might be able to drive one...