Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-15-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Drives: 2010 SS Maggie,ARH,Meth,AFE Coilove
Alignment after Subframe bushings installed

So I did the Pegasus cradle bushings last weekend and the rear end was all over the place. So I went to Accurate Alignment in Oceanside Ca, They are the only spot I could find in SoCal that would time the bushings also. And they did not disappoint what a top-notch business James the owner dialed in the alignment and now it launches straight as an arrow. This is one shop you can trust to do quality work and the owner James knows his shit and is gonna do a cam swap next on my car. I so happy to find a quality alignment shop cause most dont know what they are doing. :thum bup:
tlamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
fly2hip8

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS
I thought you didn't need to do an alignment after doing subframe bushings? Nothing suspension wise should change while doing subframe bushings
fly2hip8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2hip8 View Post
I thought you didn't need to do an alignment after doing subframe bushings? Nothing suspension wise should change while doing subframe bushings

It depends on the car. Some cars have a self aligning feature for the subframe itself. Not all vehicles have this, i don't know if the Camaro does or not. Cars that don't have that feature, can have the subframe shifted around a bit throwing alignment angles off. Not sure if you can do the subframe mounts one at a time or not, but that would alleviate any alignment issues if it could be done that way.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 02:59 PM   #4
tlamb2
WHPLSH

Drives: 2010 SS Maggie,ARH,Meth,AFE Coilove
Yes my Thrust was out 4 he said. All I know is after installing the solid cradle bushings my car was all over the place when hammered it. After alignment it launches straight and hard now.
tlamb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
It depends on the car. Some cars have a self aligning feature for the subframe itself. Not all vehicles have this, i don't know if the Camaro does or not. Cars that don't have that feature, can have the subframe shifted around a bit throwing alignment angles off. Not sure if you can do the subframe mounts one at a time or not, but that would alleviate any alignment issues if it could be done that way.

The rear subframes on 5th Gen Camaro's do have locating dowels to help re-align it for installation. Typically the car does not need an alignment after doing a subframe bushing kit, but it is always a good idea to have the alignment checked after doing any chassis or suspension work.

Best Regards,
Stephen
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
G8One2

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
The rear subframes on 5th Gen Camaro's do have locating dowels to help re-align it for installation. Typically the car does not need an alignment after doing a subframe bushing kit, but it is always a good idea to have the alignment checked after doing any chassis or suspension work.

Best Regards,
Stephen

That's good information. Thanks for chiming in on that.
G8One2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #7
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8One2 View Post
That's good information. Thanks for chiming in on that.
It's no problem at all. We are always glad to help.

Kind Regards,
Stephen
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
NEstyle

Drives: Caprice
You are not guaranteed that the squishy factory cradle bushings and the new cradle bushings are going to place the cradle under the car in the exact same spot. There is also a little "play" or movement in the cradle even when it's on the alignment dowels. I would say an alignment is mandatory after a bushing swap. It may need to be adjusted and it may not. The only way to know is to check it.
NEstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:56 PM   #9
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlamb2 View Post
They are the only spot I could find in SoCal that would time the bushings also.
Most of the rear suspension bolts, including the sub rake bolts, are torque to yield. Unless you came to the alignment shop with a bucket of new bolts to install, all those existing bolts are trash. I’ll be installing new the Pegasus bushings and z/28 control arms as soon as I can find the time. I have all new bolts and will be timing everything myself before going to the alignment shop.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
A lot depends on the amount of disassembly that was done to do the bushings.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #11
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 310H55A View Post
Most of the rear suspension bolts, including the sub rake bolts, are torque to yield. Unless you came to the alignment shop with a bucket of new bolts to install, all those existing bolts are trash. I’ll be installing new the Pegasus bushings and z/28 control arms as soon as I can find the time. I have all new bolts and will be timing everything myself before going to the alignment shop.
Pegasus went out of business months back. I am glad I was able to get their cradle bushings before they folded. I got them through JDP Motorsports
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 11:04 PM   #12
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Alignment after Subframe bushings installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris49066SS View Post
Pegasus went out of business months back. I am glad I was able to get their cradle bushings before they folded. I got them through JDP Motorsports

I bought one of the last sets phasetek had in stock. Been sitting on them for months now trying to find the time to install them.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:07 AM   #13
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
You would need to align the rear if you did not properly align the sub-frame when
reinstalled. The arms are attached to the whole thing, so there is no need to
actually re-align them. What happens, is toe and thrust angle are based on
the aging of the parts. So, when you installed new bushings, the skew or yeah,
Thrust Angle will be different. If it was off, then you needed to be sure the the
subframe was straight, or at the same position as the old one, using evidence marks
where the bolts and washers were.

Even with dowel pin alignments, the holes can wear oval, the pins can bend.
So, using evidence marks is the best way to be sure it's on in the same position
it was when you removed it. If not, no biggie, you're just paying for an alignment.

As with all the other alignments, it's either negative or positive, so it was
+4 or -4.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #14
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 310H55A View Post
I bought one of the last sets phasetek had in stock. Been sitting on them for months now trying to find the time to install them.
Good deal. They are a nice mod to do, and easy!
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote