Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 04-06-2018, 03:18 PM   #617
ReverendRF

Drives: 2010 1SS
GM service adviser called me back on 04/02/2018 and said that they communicated back to the dealer and confirmed that Techline said that adding controls was no longer supported.

Was able to reach the Service adviser on 04/03/2018 for more clarification, including that the GM Service Advisers that Customer Support escalates to is unable to directly contact resources at Techline. GM SA put me in contact with the customer service manager at the dealership. I explain to the customer service manager my concerns and they say they will follow up with my initial service adviser from my dealership appointment.

04/04/2018 - I call and leave a voicemail for the dealer customer service manager asking to be updated.

04/06/2018 - I call the dealer customer service manager who answers and says they will get in touch with my initial service adviser for more information. Later on 04/06/2018 the initial SA calls me back, saying Techline still says it is unsupported and claims they have called again - getting the same answer.

At this point I have no information other than Techline - who can not be contacted directly by a customer - says adding Steering Wheel Controls to a 2010 Camaro is 'not supported' - without further detail on what 'not supported' actually means. The dealer believes this to mean they no longer have the software - which is frustrating and confusing.

After this conversation I call ACDelco and get to talk to a Programming support rep. AC Delco provides GM subscriptions for Vehicle programming and software. My intent is to see if AC Delco has the software for the car available and utilize this as leverage to get Techline to complete the request.

AC Delco provides more detail on 'Not supported'. Somewhat recently - although much to my displeasure I do not have a document of this - GM Stated that due to issues caused by re-calibrations, not to issue them for certain RPO codes; NZL is one of these codes. This hold placed by GM seems to mean that no-one, not Techline, not AC Delco, can provide a VCI and download a new configuration to a 2010 or 2011 BCM that did not have the option originally activated. GM's hold on these re-calibrations did not have an expected end date from what I was told by AC Delco.

Massively displeased at the time and money this has cost me to come to the answer that GM will not allow my vehicle to be updated. I am uncertain why activating the steering wheel controls for volume and audio is so restricted - but it appears I am at the end of the line for getting these buttons activated by a first or even a third party.

If any one else tries to do this - triple check with your dealer that they can add this software before you try - have them call Techline before you show up if need be. If anyone hears different on this calibration hold GM has placed on the steering wheel controls for 2010-2011 Camaros - please make a mention of it.

Otherwise - I am open to suggestions on how to enable this function on my vehicle.
ReverendRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #618
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
Check with GTPrix's business

https://www.whiteautoandmedia.com

First retrofitted 2014 mylink.
Pagliaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #619
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Send a message via AIM to Pagliaro Send a message via MSN to Pagliaro Send a message via Yahoo to Pagliaro
I went ahead and emailed WAMS and they still can support this.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:52 PM   #620
ReverendRF

That is great news! I will reach out to them as well and see what I can set up
Old 04-15-2018, 06:58 AM   #621
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReverendRF View Post
That is great news! I will reach out to them as well and see what I can set up
Awesome let me know ( this thread ) if you go through with it.

I'm not willimg to part with bcm at the moment. I may make a trip to get tgis done later though.

Old 04-15-2018, 10:09 PM   #622
ReverendRF

Removing the BCM is my current major hangup. I haven't found a resource for the best way to go about it and given the location I am worried it might require pulling the entire dash.

I'd be bummed out sending my BCM away and being without my car for however long the turn around is for sure; but a dash pull would put this into winter project territory
Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 AM   #623
Pagliaro
RIP Betsy ( Vitara )

Summer road trip for me. Hoping he can do it through obd2 port so I don't have to take car apart. Not going bother asking until I'm closer to committing.

I've had them installed since I've owned the car 5 years ago.

But I also hope to get either zl1 interior or leather interior too so I'm not in a rush as I'll need to have the heated seats activated too.

Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #624
Robar1

Ok, since it seems this project is effectively sidetracked, even if you had the parts....

If you install the radio controls, and you put in an aftermarket head unit would you still need the programming to control the new radio/phone interface? Or, is there an adapter to allow the controls to work with the new head unit?
Robar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #625
lellenberger

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
Updating BCM

Hi,

I purchased and installed the wiring harness and the controls for the radio. I took to the dealer and they said they cant do the programming cause it didn't come in a kit with a 10 digit code #, which I am assuming is the VCI number.

I was told that it has to be the exact code that came in the package with the switch controls cause it specific to that switch and if it wasn't in there then they cant do anything.
Is this true?
Can anyone offer any advice to help me with getting the programing figured out or point me in the right direction?
lellenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #626
bub

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE & '15 Corvette Z06
Recommend using a small round flat end punch (maybe 3/16" dia. - just fits in hole in the wheel plastic) vs. the flathead screwdriver shown to release the airbag from the steering wheel.

Much easier to be sure you are on the spring wire itself vs. fishing around with a flat head that can slip by the spring pretty easily....

Screwed around with the screwdriver for like 5 minutes then realized that the punch was a better tool for the job of releasing the airbag...FWIW.
bub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:22 PM   #627
ToxicLs3
Banned

Drives: 2019 Camaro rs
Nice pics going to try this soon
ToxicLs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #628
reidjr

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Excellent, you the man! I just needed to replace my aging steering wheel controls. I got both switches from RPI for less than 25 bucks including shipping and with the help of your first post got the job done in less than 30 minutes. Thanks !
reidjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 PM   #629
Mamba2010SS

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Well wished i wouldof read this last page about gm not doing the update anymore, anyone know if this “hold” is still a on going?
1993 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
Mamba2010SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:35 PM   #630
ReverendRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robar1 View Post
Ok, since it seems this project is effectively sidetracked, even if you had the parts....

If you install the radio controls, and you put in an aftermarket head unit would you still need the programming to control the new radio/phone interface? Or, is there an adapter to allow the controls to work with the new head unit?
I've wondered this same thing. I would guess this depends on if the SWC module for the aftermarket stereo needs communication from the BCM, or if it just interprets signals from the switch itself.

I've not been able to find a direct answer to if this works though.