Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 05-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #141
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Had a chance to deal with the broken endlink and mounting brackets. I made new brackets out of much heavier stock, I also made a plate that lays across the control arm boxing it for extra strength and more rigidity, I also increased the hole diameter to 7/16 so I could utilize larger Heim joints for the endlinks I made. Here are a few pics of the project.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 PM   #142
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Out of curiousity, why didnt you just got with the Pedders reinforcement brackets? Not trying to discredit what you did, just curious why you went the DIY route versus an existing fix.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #143
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Out of curiousity, why didnt you just got with the Pedders reinforcement brackets? Not trying to discredit what you did, just curious why you went the DIY route versus an existing fix.

Many reasons, the Pedders bracket is to reinforce the existing one, mine was destroyed. My bracket is heavier and gives the control arm added strength, my set up utilizes larger links for more strength and mine was made of in house materials costing me nothing but a little time. Why would I buy something I can make better and cheaper.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #144
CFD

Got a chance to get back under, clean everything up a bit and get it all installed. I may change out the hardware in the future but used what I had in house.

When I have a chance I'll take the crossmember back out and powdercoat it as I installed it bare to check fitment. Then I can move on to something else, most likely finish up the rear wheels as I'm going to need tires again soon, these must be defective, they just keep spinning for some reason.
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #145
CFD

Had a chance to play with my car a bit so decided to finish up with my coil mounts. The ones I've had on my car, in the first photo, directly replaces the stock ones, utilizing the mounting for the plug and harness. I decided to go with a two piece version which allowed me to get rid of the stock wiring housing to the injectors and form the harness to fit more naturally and cosmetically pleasing. The pictures below show the two piece brackets with the stock harness and with the stock harness modified. No cutting of wires or unplugging pins. Also uses the stock plug wires. I will be adding these to the one piece mounts I have been selling as soon as I finish a few small things I'm thinking of such as a bracket/cover for the wiring harness. I'll post pics as I get further into it.

I'm also going to remove the unused mounting tabs on the valve covers and possibly powdercoat them textured black for maximum cooling or polish them for maximum eye candy.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #146
CFD

Got the passenger side coil mounts installed today. Next I will be working on a few little pieces to clean up the wiring and also working on removing the unused tabs from the valve covers.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #147
The Stig

How are you planning on cleaning up the wiring out of curiousity?
Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #148
CFD

Quote:
How are you planning on cleaning up the wiring out of curiousity?

I have several ideas. I am thinking of using the existing tabs on the fuel rails to mount a couple of clamps to support the wiring. I may play with an aluminum cover that can be polished, painted or powdercoated to cover them for an easy install for anyone purchasing the coil mounts. As for the finished product on my car I may lengthen the wiring harness so I can route them from the back of the motor rather than the front, this will hide them rather nicely. Once I get in there and play with a few ideas I will decide which way to go.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #149
CFD

Gotta love rainy days in a bike shop, gives me a chance to play with my stuff lol.

Working on my valve covers. First I cut off the unused tabs, ground them down and welded the remaining holes and cleaned them up for powdercoating (I decided to coat them textured black instead of polishing them). The pictures below are up to where they are now, the last picture compares one that is ready to a virgin one. I will update this as I proceed.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #150
Moreno1

Drives: G5.R
Looking good. I love all the creative work you do, keep it up!
Moreno1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #151
The Stig

Damn those look good
Old 05-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #152
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Moreno View Post
Looking good. I love all the creative work you do, keep it up!

Thanks, some say I think differently because there is something wrong with my brain.

Quote:
Damn those look good

Thanks, they're cleaning up nicely. I started to polish one and it looked real good but thought the textured black would add more contrast as well as aid in cooling. They're almost ready to come out of the oven, I'm going to hit the gym for a bit, by the time I get back they will be cool and I can assemble them.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #153
CFD

Powdercoating is done and I'm glad I used the textured black, I think they look real clean. Here are a few more pics of the covers and coil mounts. I've got a little work to do on my wheels to get them ready for polishing or powdercoating so I am going to finish them up now while I have a chance then I will install the valve covers on the car and take a few more pics.
Attached Images

Old 05-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #154
CFD

Rear wheels are finished as far as welding and machining. Now the hard part, deciding if I am going to polish them or powdercoat them. I'm leaning towards polishing as I still need to work on the lugnut covers and in the event they get marked up I can easily re-polish them, powdercoating cannot be touched up.

I'm going to get my valve covers back on so I can get home, I'll post some pics then.
Attached Images