Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #99
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
It’s a black plastic disc with a rectangular notch on one face and totally flat on the other.

I’ll take a picture since now I need to check mine.
like this? if this is it....which way does it go? does the groove face the motor or the sky?
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2018, 01:19 AM   #100
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
like this? if this is it....which way does it go? does the groove face the motor or the sky?
That's it...the flat side goes towards the motor and the notched side goes toward the breather/filter.

I'm kind of surprised there's no spring or something holding it in place.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 06:44 AM   #101
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Yeah it seems to do ok without a spring. When the breather is on there it gives it just enough room to lift up and vent when it needs too. Otherwise the check valve falls back down and the PCV Keeps the system in a vacuum when not under boost.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:18 AM   #102
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Thanks guys. I've already contacted the seller that the part was missing.
Old 07-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #103
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Yeah it seems to do ok without a spring. When the breather is on there it gives it just enough room to lift up and vent when it needs too. Otherwise the check valve falls back down and the PCV Keeps the system in a vacuum when not under boost.
I guess it would've just been nice to have something in there to hold that little notched chip in the base...even just a screw. I am worried about losing that chip when I change oil or mess with it.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 07-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #104
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Sorry Elite. Maybe it's just me but I have a number of issues with this but just to point out a few and then I'm done. (I knew better than to get you started)

1. Tapping a turbo housing is way different imho in regards to the RPM a turbo spins vs a Supercharger and are you suggesting we need drill and tap our Prochargers before full benefit of the venturi will work?

2. The youtube video IMHO gives a poor explanation of the venturi effect. Basically that device is demonstrating how you can use your Air compressor and 80+ PSI to create a vacuum. We are dealing with CFM not PSI here right?

3. The photo at the bottom with your clean side separator is nothing more than a Valve cover vent. Instead of venting to atmosphere your just routing it right back into the catch can. The Mightymouse has that option as well.

Lets just agree to disagree or PM me if you want to discuss it further. Again I wasn't trying to knock your product.
My bro, I've just skip over whatever EE post, it won't help anyones ride to go faster, last longer etc period. It is a catch can I use to make these out of bottles, I got a nice stainles steel one for $20. Sure you got the money and want it all nice with hose etc you can sped $$$$, more power to EE, it looks like a fine product... but it IS A CATCH CAN
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:15 PM   #105
oldman

Quote:
I guess it would've just been nice to have something in there to hold that little notched chip in the base...even just a screw. I am worried about losing that chip when I change oil or mess with it.
I'm 90% sure I don't have that little disk, I'll probably just make one... maybe out of rubber and aluminum for a little more weight and yes that means it will take a little more psi to lift when under boost.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #106
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

OK so I took mine off and fiddled with it Today. For those that haven't been following along, I am doing the same thing that Dysan did by using a series of grommets, a PCV elbow and radiator hose to mount the breather close to the front of the engine bay.

I checked the fitment of the disc thingie both with the breather mounted on it as Metco intended and in my setup. Turns out, the way I had the grommets in the metal housing, it was letting the disc move at least 100% more than when the breather is mounted there. Not sure if that is a big deal or not but I pushed the grommet further in until it was about equivalent to the play that the breather gives the disc.

Started the car and noticed that fumes were still coming out of the breather at idle (I let it warm all the way up). I decided that's not normal and went back to my regular oil cap. Took it for a drive and the car felt smoother than it did during all my driving yesterday (about 3 hours).

What do you all think? Should it be letting out fumes at idle or not?
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 07-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #107
Dysan911

Quote:
OK so I took mine off and fiddled with it Today. For those that haven't been following along, I am doing the same thing that Dysan did by using a series of grommets, a PCV elbow and radiator hose to mount the breather close to the front of the engine bay.

I checked the fitment of the disc thingie both with the breather mounted on it as Metco intended and in my setup. Turns out, the way I had the grommets in the metal housing, it was letting the disc move at least 100% more than when the breather is mounted there. Not sure if that is a big deal or not but I pushed the grommet further in until it was about equivalent to the play that the breather gives the disc.

Started the car and noticed that fumes were still coming out of the breather at idle (I let it warm all the way up). I decided that's not normal and went back to my regular oil cap. Took it for a drive and the car felt smoother than it did during all my driving yesterday (about 3 hours).

DO you currently have a catch can setup now that is operating under vacuum during idle?
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Old 07-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #108
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Sorry Elite. Maybe it's just me but I have a number of issues with this but just to point out a few and then I'm done. (I knew better than to get you started)

1. Tapping a turbo housing is way different imho in regards to the RPM a turbo spins vs a Supercharger and are you suggesting we need drill and tap our Prochargers before full benefit of the venturi will work?

You can simply add the Venturi barb in the coupler, no need to do as Comp Turbo does. It is not the RPM of anything here that has an impact as We shared the technical workings of a Venturi Vacuum Generator. It is the speed of the flow over the Venturi. And again, we have thousands of turbo and centrifugal customers running these with 1000 plus HP and all have verified this. It seems your dead set here on misrepresenting what our system does and how even though we shared links to all sorts of reference material not affiliated with us.

2. The youtube video IMHO gives a poor explanation of the venturi effect. Basically that device is demonstrating how you can use your Air compressor and 80+ PSI to create a vacuum. We are dealing with CFM not PSI here right?

No, we are NOT dealing with CFM. A venturi vacuum generator develops vacuum/suction from the speed or velocity of the flow over the opening. That's why it works with all types of FI or NA. Also, the 80 PSI in those generators is just the ratings to achieve 28" of vacuum. We generally only see 6-10" of vacuum, which is plenty to continue evacuation. You can also source Venturi Vacuum, generators that are far higher capacity than the ones your looking at. This was ONLY to share the science and how common these are for different uses.

3. The photo at the bottom with your clean side separator is nothing more than a Valve cover vent. Instead of venting to atmosphere your just routing it right back into the catch can. The Mightymouse has that option as well.

Again, your misrepresenting what that is. It is a Clean Side Separator similar to the GM plastic empty canister, but this has an internal coalescing chamber with coalescing media to trap and oil that would reverse should there be a breach in the piston/ring/cylinder wall seal. It acts also as a safety failsafe if excessive pressure would occur. Nothing MM makes or offers is even close. They have a cap with a fitting on it.

Bo White, some of the fastest Procharged Gen6's like Jessika's use these and have for several years and several others use these and can verify they work as advertised. And simple flow dynamics and physics make this all easy to understand for those with the education.

Now, lets talk what you have not answered in each of our posts. The ability to separate and trap and contain almost all of these vapors you are installing a system for in the first place, is not the goal to stop all you can? Try the "catchcan Challenge" as described and see for yourself. The E2-X is not just marginally more effective than the MM in this, it traps as much as twice the amount. So if nothing else as different, just that is huge. As long as that is the goal.

We are happy to continue in private, email us at: Tech@EliteEngineeringUSA.com I can forward you all sorts of others, like you, that were set in their mindset and tried it and were enlightened once they tried it to see.

Take the time to go back and read all I provided if you truly do wish to learn. And we make these challenges in public, and always insist it is someone not affiliated with us or the other can brand that conducts the test. What would you have to loose to actually perform the test and see first hand? Think how embarrassing it would be to us to make these claims in public if it was not as we claim?

Lets just agree to disagree or PM me if you want to discuss it further. Again I wasn't trying to knock your product.

Please see above answers to your comments
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 12:21 PM   #109
Dysan911

Quote:

FWIW>. I started my car and let it idle down from warm up and while it was running popped the breather off the end of mine and put it right up to my nose to see if I could smell or feel anything coming out. There was absolutely nothing.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:26 PM   #110
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Quote:
DO you currently have a catch can setup now that is operating under vacuum during idle?
Negative.
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #111
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Breather can only here. But I do have a PCV with check valve from the valley pan connected behind the throttle body. Spraying a little ALKY under boost keeps thing cleaned up
Attached Images

aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:19 PM   #112
oldman

luv them valve covers...