Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #1
COPO 9560

Drives: rolling thunder
Post 2019 ZL1 vs ZL1 1LE real world drivability

I am in the process of deciding to purchase a new 2019 ZL1.

I got mixed feeling and thoughts on which one to purchase. I know the suspension on the 1LE package is night and day from the standard ZL1. Anybody got any input with their daily real world experience on both trims? Pros and cons.

I love the looks of the ZL1 1LE (wrapped hood, dive planes, and the 19inch wheels) The wing looks excessive but I totally understand its function. But again, I've heard that the 1LE package is very stiff and hard for the street.

The base ZL1, I really don't care for the wheels and spoiler. I can always wrap the hood but is it possible to get the 19" 1LE rims? I like the looks of the spoiler on the SS 1LE. Would that spoiler bolt on or would I have to drill new holes?

The car will mainly be street driven as a weekend pleasure with a few trips to the track (road course)
COPO 9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Camaro6 forum would be better for answers. I luv the 1LE but went with the standard ZL1 as I will be daily driving mine and wanted a sunroof. No regrets on my end. If you can get a ride in both it would probably help in your decision.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #3
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Most people who buy a rough riding car or modify their car or truck to be harsh on the street won't admit it was a mistake. They trade it in and say "I needed a truck" or something.
silversleeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO 9560 View Post
The car will mainly be street driven as a weekend pleasure with a few trips to the track (road course)
I have to ask: will you be driving the Z or the COPO (as your tag suggests) on the track?
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #5
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Most people who buy a rough riding car or modify their car or truck to be harsh on the street won't admit it was a mistake. They trade it in and say "I needed a truck" or something.
This is kind of a weird statement, probably true for some out there but it's not a universal truth.

I mod my car for a purpose - which is usually to improve on track performance. There is a point at which the build becomes more track than street, and increasingly unpleasant to just drive around. This is not a surprise event where, all of a sudden I realize the car sucks on the street, now I have to trade it in.

I have definitely learned over the years where to stop for a daily driver.

I think you're trying to say the ZL1 1LE is too harsh for the street, right? Probably true for most sane people out there
Forgestar CF-5 19x11
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Rusty35

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I don't have a 6Gen ZL1 1LE, but every thing I have read and have been told, the real world drivability is fantastic, on the track.
Rusty35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #7
silversleeper
Big Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkevind View Post
This is kind of a weird statement, probably true for some out there but it's not a universal truth.
I mod my car for a purpose - which is usually to improve on track performance. There is a point at which the build becomes more track than street, and increasingly unpleasant to just drive around. This is not a surprise event where, all of a sudden I realize the car sucks on the street, now I have to trade it in.
I have definitely learned over the years where to stop for a daily driver.
I think you're trying to say the ZL1 1LE is too harsh for the street, right? Probably true for most sane people out there
Yes, that is what I was trying to say. Just because the ZL1 1LE is touted as the best with magazine Nurburgring tests doesn't mean it's ideal for most buyers. If someone never tracks and just wants to pose at the cars and coffee that's still their choice, I have nothing against it, but as you pointed out, know what you're doing and what your getting.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
COPO 9560

Drives: rolling thunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
Camaro6 forum would be better for answers. I luv the 1LE but went with the standard ZL1 as I will be daily driving mine and wanted a sunroof. No regrets on my end. If you can get a ride in both it would probably help in your decision.
Thanks, I bump it over to Camaro6
COPO 9560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:10 AM   #9
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO 9560 View Post
Thanks, I bump it over to Camaro6
Rode in a test fleet vehicle a year ago that had 5000 miles on it, there wasn’t much that wasn’t rattling in the car..
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #10
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I had a chance to put a few hundred miles on an 2018 ZL1 1LE. I already own a 2013 ZL1, so I had something to compare it to.

I had some advice before I took the 1LE on a 400 mile trip, and that is, lower the tire pressure to about 29 psi, so that's what I had done.

My trip was mostly highways, but what I found is that yes the ride was firm, it was tolerable. I would have no problem driving it day to day, although you want to avoid any pot holes if at all possible.

Be VERY careful in the rain as the stock tires will hydroplane very easily.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #11
silversleeper
Big Crow

If you are bored and care to read 3 more good pages of owners experiences on street driven camaros and what they learned here it is:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545825

The 6th gen thread with additional specific answers to this thread
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546174

Last edited by silversleeper; 01-14-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:08 PM   #12
diablo30se

Drives: Zl1 1LE
I've got one...rides good...30# tire pressure...take off the Goodyear F1 Supercar tires though...otherwise, love it...
diablo30se is offline   Reply With Quote