Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-13-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
Blue Blur 3000

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT2 RS
What functions will I lose by switching to an aftermarket head unit?

I'm looking into getting a new head unit along with the PAC kit. What functions will I lose in a 2012 LT2 RS? I'd like to not lose anything (OnStar, HUD, etc.). I'm also wanting to get the backup camera feed to go to the new head unit and replace the rear view mirror with a nicer looking one like this: https://www.gen5diy.com/products/10-...less-mirror-ls.

Help?
Blue Blur 3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
If I remember correctly, you don't have the factory mylink right? So you shouldn't lose really anything. HUD is seperate on the dash, onstar is in the mirror. Just make sure on the new radio to install the aftermarket microphone so you can use the phone functions. Like onstar.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #3
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
You’ll lose the “Vehicle Personalization” functions, which are controlled through the stock radio. This includes:

Climate and Air Quality Comfort
Convenience Collision/Detection Systems
Language
Lighting
Power Door Locks
Remote Lock/Unlock

Once you change to an aftermarket unit, you’re stuck with the last settings.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 AM   #4
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
With the Scosche kit, you retain all options. Its just controlled thru the dash kit. If you read up, they can be a PIA at times, but I am happy with mine now that I've had it installed for several months. Even installed a back up camera with mine, which I didnt have from factory. On Star is retained thru a seperate module that plugs inline with factory harness.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
Blue Blur 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coz3z3 View Post
If I remember correctly, you don't have the factory mylink right? So you shouldn't lose really anything. HUD is seperate on the dash, onstar is in the mirror. Just make sure on the new radio to install the aftermarket microphone so you can use the phone functions. Like onstar.
Right. It's the non MyLink system. The only OnStar feature I use is the remote start from the iPhone app.

The microphone is something I've tried to get a concrete answer on. I guess I would rather reuse the stock microphone just because I don't want an aftermarket one showing somewhere. I want it to be invisible. I've read that it's possible to splice the stock mic into the microphone cable into the aftermarket head unit.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blur 3000 View Post
Right. It's the non MyLink system. The only OnStar feature I use is the remote start from the iPhone app.

The microphone is something I've tried to get a concrete answer on. I guess I would rather reuse the stock microphone just because I don't want an aftermarket one showing somewhere. I want it to be invisible. I've read that it's possible to splice the stock mic into the microphone cable into the aftermarket head unit.
I routed mine down the center console, and right on the side under where the lid opens. Really only visible if you pay close attention. Other than that, just looks like small black bump on the side of the console. Seems to work good, unless your getting on the throttle, at which point, I cant even here myself, with my LTH and exhaust set up.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Coz3z3

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2015 1LE
Quote:

I am sure there is a way. I just don't know how or where unfortunately lol

Edit: Here try this actually.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...ight=radio+mic

And actually a couple post down he mentions you will probably lose the song/station selection in the HUD. I forgot about that. I am assuming you will lose the feature when someone calls too.
Coz3z3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Blue Blur 3000

The PAC kit says it retains HUD functionality. But does that include song titles and whatever else?

I’m also confused about the backup camera guidelines. I have the factory backup camera feeding into the mirror. If I feed the same camera into an aftermarket head unit, do I still get the guidelines? I’ve read that the lines come from the camera, but I’ve also read that it’s in the mirror, which I would like to switch out.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #9
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
The PAC kit says it retains HUD functionality. But does that include song titles and whatever else?
What they mean is that the HUD still works, but it will not display song titles or anything related to the radio. No aftermarket radio has the ability to output that kind of data.