Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
Snuggles

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS, M6, whitestrip
Anyone here a DSS Special Agent or know someone who is??? Need info!

Hey guys/gals,

Last October I participated in the initial knowledge assessment for the Diplomatic Security Service in hopes of getting asked to interview for the position of Special Agent (for those that dont know and are reading this thread anyway, the DSS is the US State Depts police force per se. They have many duties here in the states and overseas, many of which are associated with personal protection of high-ranking officials and foreign dignitaries)

Well, I received the much anticipated phone call last night and I will be going in to the second round of testing/interviewing.

I basically would like to pick someones brain who is either a part of the DSS or has maybe a friend or family member who is. Any info I can gather on what to expect in the upcoming interview would be GREATLY appreciated. Looks like I have maybe a few months to prepare for the interview since the dates she provided me conflicted with my current work schedule. But I will either be doing my interview in Dallas or flying out to Washington D.C., whichever they decide.

Thanks Ya'll and wish me luck!

Oh and yeah this has absolutely NOTHING to do with what I received my college degree in (Analytical Chemistry) but this is a dream job of mine and would love to serve my country in this way!!

Snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
Quite often with this kind of job, if you're not contacted on follow-up.... it generally means that they found someone who "better matches what they are looking for." If I were you, i'd look for more openings and opportunity to apply at any openings they post.
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #3
Snuggles

Yeah,
my buddy who lives in DC has a friend who is ATF and he told him to go ahead and apply for a few different agencies (ATF, DSS, DEA, etc).

I know for a fact that with the DSS, after you complete this second interview/screening that they tell you on the spot whether you will be continuing on to the medical eval portion and security clearance part.

So if anyone has any info on what to expect as far as this interview is concerned let me know! Will be spending much time on Google gathering up as much as I can.

Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
Lava
LSU Tigers!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I work for DOJ and posessing a degree is really the major hurrdle in applying. Doesn't matter really what it is in. Next your credit history needs to be perfect or near perfect. The better your history the better your chances. If you are going to your second interview more than likely they are interviewing neighbors or will be asking for that info. You will be evaluated by your answers in the initial questioneer/test. Be honest! Remember to answer the questions in the interview with the understanding of how they want to hear them (if that makes sense). If you do not know an answer tell them, and also tell them you will do the necessary research to have that answer next time. What GS is the position open at and what is the highest potential? Is this for a Special Agent opening or a Police Officer within DSS? I am a GS-11 instructor now and started as a GS-6 Officer way back just to get in the door. If this is your goal getting in the door should be priority. Once you are in you can move from one agency to another like I have. Good Luck to you, let me know how things go for you.
Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Snuggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava View Post
I work for DOJ and posessing a degree is really the major hurrdle in applying. Doesn't matter really what it is in. Next your credit history needs to be perfect or near perfect. The better your history the better your chances. If you are going to your second interview more than likely they are interviewing neighbors or will be asking for that info. You will be evaluated by your answers in the initial questioneer/test. Be honest! Remember to answer the questions in the interview with the understanding of how they want to hear them (if that makes sense). If you do not know an answer tell them, and also tell them you will do the necessary research to have that answer next time. What GS is the position open at and what is the highest potential? Is this for a Special Agent opening or a Police Officer within DSS? I am a GS-11 instructor now and started as a GS-6 Officer way back just to get in the door. If this is your goal getting in the door should be priority. Once you are in you can move from one agency to another like I have. Good Luck to you, let me know how things go for you.

Lava,
Thanks for the info man, i'm definately appreciative. I am not exactly sure what GS the position opens but it I AM interviewing for the Special Agent postion.

My friend and I are both looking at using the DSS Special Agent position a way to get a foot in the door and be able to move laterally into other agencies if we feel that another agency is more of our liking. His buddy (The ATF agent) says that they (State Dept) is hiring an exorbinant number of special agents this year to fill many spots that have been vacated by agents that have done just that, move to different agencies. Plus he says the workload is growing so they need to bring in more than they usually do.

I am looking at a minor paycut from what I am currently doing if I am offered a position with the DSS, but like you said, the opportunity for advancement or movement to another agency makes it all worth it.

As soon as I receive my official interview date I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks buddy!