Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
jakebrake

Drives: 2010 2ss RS M6 Transformers edition
hurst billet 2

Man I have the hurst billet 2 shifter in my camaro ss and can't stand the damn ball rattling!!so thought was ball so I had 1 custom made very nice! But I've yried every single thing u can do but the only thing that takes it completley away is to use the factory upper stick with the hurst kit and ball but would love to use my ball which is a 3/8 16 thread and qould even considering changeing shifters out to replace the hurst that dosent rattle and accepts same ball threads! I need some pointed in the right direction on which shifter is really good! The hurst has way to much side play too!was thinking the mti six shooter?any suggestions? I acually like the stock one better imo! But I want a short throw and same upper stick ball adapter threads if possible! Thanks in advance. And if anyone has figgured the hurst out please let me know!!!
jakebrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
Man I have the hurst billet 2 shifter in my camaro ss and can't stand the damn ball rattling!!so thought was ball so I had 1 custom made very nice! But I've yried every single thing u can do but the only thing that takes it completley away is to use the factory upper stick with the hurst kit and ball but would love to use my ball which is a 3/8 16 thread and qould even considering changeing shifters out to replace the hurst that dosent rattle and accepts same ball threads! I need some pointed in the right direction on which shifter is really good! The hurst has way to much side play too!was thinking the mti six shooter?any suggestions? I acually like the stock one better imo! But I want a short throw and same upper stick ball adapter threads if possible! Thanks in advance. And if anyone has figgured the hurst out please let me know!!!
I don't want to turn this into a spelling and grammar ball busting but that was very hard to read. Punctuation would be nice.

As far as the shifter. I really like the Hurst. If you are having issues check that everything is tight. Sometimes vibration and looseness can be due to loosening up overtime. Also they have a small kit to help if you still have issues. As it has been said the Hurst is a competition shifter meant to give you the shortest shift possible. Some people would prefer a less drastic shifter. There are several other that many people like. Barton and MTI are two that come to mind that have had positive results. Hope this helps.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #3
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
I have the hurst and don't have any rattle. I have about 3/4 inch side to side play.
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Same here! I have a T-handle though, not a ball.
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
I have the black and the white. No rattle. Are you getting the jam nut underneath tight?

3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 02:20 AM   #6
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Hurst with the white ball here and have zero problems.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #7
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebrake View Post
lots of people "figured" out the Hurst issue you "speak of". did you install the rubber isolators & dynamat?. When it was installed, did perhaps you crush the inserts that attach onto the change rod (VERY COMMON MISTAKE), causing further lack of isolation and more vibration. Just a few things to check
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
As several people have posted, you need to double check the install. A properly installed Hurst should function like this.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 09:35 AM   #9
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
I have the White Ball, no rattles, about 3/4" inch side-to-side play. No Problems with mine whatsoever. Really like the shorter throws.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
mrvenicess

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1 auto
Also you need to keep your hand off the ball after you shift to second. Hanging onto the shift knob in second seems to induce rattle.
mrvenicess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
I went through some of the same stuff. It ended up being where the actual shifter bolted to the shifter mechanism. I ended up selling mine for that reason as well as others but when I installed the Hurst in the guy's Camaro that bought it from me I added a drop of locktite and some lock washers when I bolted up the actually shifter handle. He hasn't had any of the issues I had. That might be something you want to try.

I ended up going with MGW and I'm extremely happy I did. Here is my review I did back then.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=hurst
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
I have the White Ball, no rattles, about 3/4" inch side-to-side play. No Problems with mine whatsoever. Really like the shorter throws.
Same here.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Kwik

Drives: car
No problems with my Hurst. In fact, I love it! On the other hand, your total lack of punctuation stinks.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
73camarolt

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipperFox View Post
I have the black and the white. No rattle. Are you getting the jam nut underneath tight?

Where did you get the knob? Looks great!