Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #29
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
If they damaged ths rear struts, there should be oil leaking from them. No oil, no leak. Have them follow my instructions and see what happens.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:31 PM   #30
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
If they damaged ths rear struts, there should be oil leaking from them. No oil, no leak. Have them follow my instructions and see what happens.

Probably something minor that was overlooked. Hopefully they take the guide seriously...
Old 12-05-2016, 10:11 PM   #31
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Rear struts have been ordered.

WTF is the difference between a shock and a strut?

Work order says strut, so I called to verify.

Yes, they say it's a rear strut. OK. GM says it's a shock.

Just miss my car. They have had it going on two weeks. But I don't want it back unkess it handles better than half-assed.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:26 PM   #32
White_Camaro

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
Any ideas on what else could be the issue? The kit had springs, sway bars, the brace and some hardware.

Then added the BMR end links. I asked Hotchkis about a possible miss-match with the end-links and he said no way... He (Richard) said he had the exact same kit on both of his Gen 5's and he had zero issues....
You don't like it that much? I was considering this identical kit as well.
White_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #33
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I installed the Hotchkis drop springs on my SS convertible ~2 years ago. The ride is better than stock, it handles likes it's on rails and the 1.25" drop looks menacing. I'm not certain what could be wrong here. Hindsight is 20/20, but in all honesty, you should've simply went with the springs and called it a day. You don't need all that other jazz unless you're tracking the car (I assume you just wanted the dropped look). And it that instance, you'd also need a roll-bar considering it's a drop-top. Good luck!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:53 AM   #34
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Mr Stacey after reading the thread there is alot of knowledge here. People have the same kit without problems. To me this all points to the install being screwed up by the shop you have your car at. They must be doing something wrong thats why everything you check has come back as correct. The only thing you havnt been able to confirm is the way it's being installed and checked.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #35
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Mr Stacey after reading the thread there is alot of knowledge here. People have the same kit without problems. To me this all points to the install being screwed up by the shop you have your car at. They must be doing something wrong thats why everything you check has come back as correct. The only thing you havnt been able to confirm is the way it's being installed and checked.
I agree. But I trust these guys (they have done a lot of work for me on my other vehicles) and they do excellent work. That's why I am confused. Sure they have some upset customers, but most are happy (4 stars on Yelp).

Could be the struts, or possibly the issue will be resolved when they are installed. Crossing my fingers.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, I'll try another shop. But good shops are extremely hard to find.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:45 PM   #36
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I agree. But I trust these guys (they have done a lot of work for me on my other vehicles) and they do excellent work. That's why I am confused. Sure they have some upset customers, but most are happy (4 stars on Yelp).

Could be the struts, or possibly the issue will be resolved when they are installed. Crossing my fingers.

If it doesn't resolve the issue, I'll try another shop. But good shops are extremely hard to find.
I agree for sure....but I've always questioned things when something goes in for repair with certain parts being good.....then coming out with parts all the sudden no good. Good luck for sure.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #37
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
I agree for sure....but I've always questioned things when something goes in for repair with certain parts being good.....then coming out with parts all the sudden no good. Good luck for sure.
Still waiting on the verdict of the strut replacement... they didn't sound too optimistic...
Old 12-13-2016, 06:13 PM   #38
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

No difference as far as I can tell. Any chance it's hitting the bump stops?
Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #39
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

The rear struts seem to help... a bit. But still really "bouncy" in the back. The front is quite harsh as well. Turned my car into a rattle trap IMHO. If every road I drove on was perfect, there wouldn't be an issue at all, but most roads are just not suited for this type of suspension setup.

I think my expectations may have been out of line with the reality of the thing. I would have went with just springs, but read where doing just that would degrade the ride too much!

I also think Hotchkis marketing is out of whack.
Quote:
The Hotchkis Sport Suspension Track Pack for the 2010 Camaro offers a sleek lowered stance dramatically improved handling and superior driver control.
What a joke.

Wish that was the result, but $2,600 later, I hate the ride. Turned my car into a bouncy rattle trap. Never should have done this...

I am going to try another shop, but I am not optimistic. The shop I go to is top-notch and do a lot of work on classic muscle cars. But might as well pour more money on it.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #40
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Sigh....
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:37 PM   #41
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Dang, what a nighmare. OP, keep in mind that what might he excellent handling to one person, might not be so with the next. "Handling" can be subjective. Some guys love a smooth plush ride, others like to feel every imperfection on the road.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #42
anth331

Drives: 12SS
Sorry that your having trouble with your car. It's probably worse having a car and having trouble with it than not having one at all. I would give up one of my "Boys" to have my 14 back the way it was when I had to get rid of it. Wife was out of a job and money just got to tight on just my salary. I really hope that things work out for you.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote