Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-27-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
Arman

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Exclamation Service Stabilitrak came on, out of nowhere, in search of options and guidance.

Hello everyone,

I need some assistance from everyone that has something to offer.

I'll keep it short, 2014 camaro ss manual 62k miles, CAI and catback exhaust (both installed over 3 years ago, so not really important.)

I was in the middle of a parking lot, car was running, pulled over to ask for directions, car was kept on and everything was normal thus far, as i finished talking to the guy, i put the car in first, and before i released the clutch, I noticed the car was shaking badly, parked the car, and suddenly the service stabilitrak came on, while the car was running.

Shut it off immediately, checked the engine bay for lose plugs, nothing stood out as unusual but will dig deeper tomorrow.

House was only a mile away so decided to drive it home with a friend following me.

Symptoms:
1. Car will start, will idle just fine, but very shaky.
2. if left on for over 2 minutes, it seems to be running rich, I can smell some gas.
3. Put a scanner on it, when car electronics are on, I get p0300 which is engine control module, if i scan while running, also gives p0304, cylinder 4 misfire.
4. As im driving it home, if I do a slow brake, car will idle fine, hard brake, it will stall.
5. after it dies, friend behind me says a bit of white smoke comes out only on start up. (praying I dont have a busted head gasket)
6. Battery voltage in car menu says about 12.4 before start up, 14.5 idling.

Concerns and thoughts:
1. First problem, the battery is 5 years old. I know its old, however when it happened, I read alot of people say it was the battery, so i took it to 2 auto shops and they tested it said it was still fine at 80%, but for some reason I feel like this is part, if not, the problem.
2. Nothing has been done expect normal maintenance for the last 2 years.

I need help how how i should proceed, unfortunately with the whole covid situation, money is rather tight, but I need to get her working again. Anyone have any recommendations on the order in which i should do things? If you have any questions, feel free to ask please.
Arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #2
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
P0300 is random misfire.

I would just go slow and check all of your connections/vacuum lines again. Pull the plug on 4 and 5 and compare them, see if they look similar even though on other sides of the engine.

ChibiBlackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
Arman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post
P0300 is random misfire.

I would just go slow and check all of your connections/vacuum lines again. Pull the plug on 4 and 5 and compare them, see if they look similar even though on other sides of the engine.
So i took out the plug, and since it was only 10 bucks, I went ahead and switched it out. The wires looked fine, i think, not sure what i would be looking for. Car started, weirdly a bit smoother, but after about 15 seconds the service stabilitrak came on again, along with the other warnings.
Arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:19 PM   #4
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Old battery.

The voltage you are reading in the car is the charging voltage, not the battery voltage.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Imho, 12.4 on battery voltage is low. 12.6 or higher is considered about right on a “good” battery. Not to say there couldn’t be other problems, just relaying info as far as the battery goes.
Old 08-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
O.F.

Drives: 2015 BLK/BLK 2SS/RS MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
Old battery.

The voltage you are reading in the car is the charging voltage, not the battery voltage.
What he says...
O.F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 07:27 PM   #7
3X0dus

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Is it common for the battery to cause things like TCS, service Stabilitrak, and service power steering to randomly light up while driving and sitting idle?
3X0dus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:43 AM   #8
Infernomaro

Valve Spring came off

I had the same problem. What you are describing is the same problems I had 30 seconds while my valve spring was jumping around in the #7 cylinder. The spring for me unfortunately jammed up in the piston and ruined the engine. My car has 53k Miles on it with a LS3 engine.

I wouldn't be turning it on, if I were you. You probably have the same issue. If you have the same problem you will be out at best new valves, head, and piston. Rebuild is around $4500.

Good luck, I will be rebuilding my powertrain with a LS7.
Infernomaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camaro, p0304, service, stabilitrak