Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-13-2016, 09:43 AM   #15
carbro

Drives: 2014 2SS something or other
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
Won't pass inspection (in Texas anyways) because the monitors won't be ready.
^^^ This. Won't in Virginia either.

Won't in most places if the monitors show offline. It can take 50-100 miles of driving before that is rectified after you clear the code, and by then the light could come back on again. I failed an inspection for this very reason.
carbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 AM   #16
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by justa25thTA View Post
get some anti-foulers from the auto parts store. Cheap enough to try and they cured my code.

These work. They are an item designed to set the spark plug back a couple of inches, but their threading and size mean that they can be used for O2 sensors.

Remove the downstream O2 sensor: screw the spark plug anti- fouler (also called a spark plug non- fouler... you'll need the 14mm variety, I think) into the hole, and screw the O2 sensor into that. It changes the way the O2 sensor reads the exhaust, and can clear up those pesky 420 codes.

It may not be the RIGHT way to do it, and there can sometimes be legal issues regarding their use, but at about $5/ each, they can get a person by for a while, if there's not an extra $grand$ laying around for new cats.

Google it, YouTube it... you'll get more info on it. I stumbled across this "miracle cure" online, spend $10 for a pair of them, and it took me about 10 minutes for the whole job. It's not guaranteed, but USUALLY seems to work. It worked for me...
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:00 PM   #17
Jylee

Drives: 2012 2LT
The CAT is about $200 at Rockauto, why not change it yourself.
Jylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:59 PM   #18
HyperV117

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
What type of oil are you using? I've hard that oil with high zinc content can mess up CC's.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #19
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jylee View Post
The CAT is about $200 at Rockauto, why not change it yourself.
Depending on the state that won't be legal. In CA or any state that does CA-emissions smogs like NY you won't pass visual

why is this stickied anyway? full of misinformation
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:35 PM   #20
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
if you are getting any codes its for a reason and should be fixed no mater how many miles you can drive it in between. for $1k get headers and high flow cats. you can gut the stock cats and get it tuned. I dont think in TX you have to worry about the visual. you have to find out what is happening to your cats. This one lasted 100K + so I guess its reasonable to say it failed on its own. If the cat flow is reduced I wouldnt be driving it until it got fixed.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:30 AM   #21
vestalsin

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS Inferno Orange
Could use some help with the P0420 code as well. Have a 2010 V6 108,000 miles. I got the code and just went and replaced the Cat. Reset codes, got it again, changed the downstream O2 bank 1 drivers side, reset code and just came back. Now I have a p0420, confirmed and P0300, P0301, P0305, P0306 pending. I am at a loss, as I need to pass emissions end of this week. I have changed the spark plugs few weeks ago. Only thing done to car is Doug T short headers, CAI cold air intake, MRT V2 axel back, Port n Polished Intake Manifold with a Plenum Spacer, and lastly RX Catch Can. Most of the items I have had on for a while and never popped any codes, all those items I put on I put on so I wouldn't have emissions testing issues. I want to fix the problem and not bypass it, so any ideas anyone? I thought maybe the coil packs and wires might be bad since I am getting those other codes now, if so could this cause the P0420 code as well?
Old 04-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
You need the service manual, a scan tool, DVOM.... need to go down the diagnostics in the service manual for that DTC code. Just throwing parts at it is guessing. Could be a wire, short, open, bad module, bad part.... the only way to know is using the service manual diagnostics.

With those mods, the O2 connectors have been apart several times. Could start with checking each end of each connector to make sure a terminal has not been pushed back or split open. Beyond that you will need the service manual to determine which terminals are ground, power, reference, signal... and a scan tool to watch the O2 data.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:45 PM   #23
MyLocalDJ

Drives: 2015 2LS
I have the opposite issue. I have the Solo HFC and LFX Catback. If my car sits idling for about 15 mins, I will get the code. I drive it about 20 mins and it clears itself. Was told once that it was because my HFCs were too efficient. Who knows. I was also told to by a tune to prevent those codes. I purchased the Trifecta and thought I eliminated those codes in the setup but apparently not. Still get em. I live with it knowing I can just drive and reset itself or use my scan tool to clear. If I drive and let it reset, then it would pass emissions where if I reset, not sure I would not need to drive anyway to get the computer to have some history.

Update: 14 June 2017 Purchased the O2 Extenders - came 2 in a package for $6.69 on Amazon. Fixed my issues.
2 of Blox Racing BXFL-00108 Check Engine Light Eliminator Adapter

Last edited by MyLocalDJ; 07-18-2017 at 11:42 AM.
MyLocalDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #24
Perepe2

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
See I have a 2011 Camaro LS 6 Spd Manual. Bought it with 76k got the pesky P0430 code. Dealer determines it was a bad cat drivers side. Now a month later I'm getting P0420, I have yet to run scanner and see live data on sensors and see if their bad. What do you guys hunk is my best route? Some people tell me maybe I got a lemon with the Cat they put on? I'm in Cali if that makes a difference. I won't have to do smog for another 2 years. I know I can drive it the way it is and it's not going to affect my driving capabilities but seeing that CEL bugs the hell out of me. Sometimes u can drive over 500 miles before it comes on sometimes I will drive 15 and it comes on. I just scan it and clear it each time.
Perepe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:47 AM   #25
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
UPDATE:

You must use FACTORY O2 Downstream sensors, and add spacers to get rid of
the P0420 and P0430. I was plagued with this, as where the car lot I bought it from
had the car for ten weeks and could not fix it. They said they used AC Delco sensors
and they lied. They also drilled holes in the tip of the LH downstream sensor.

8 hours, over 4 weeks, I was able to clear it as soon as I replaced the crap BOSCH
sensor with a FACTORY sensor on the driver side.

Driver side:

This is equivalent to three anti-foul spacers. I used a REAL stainless spacer, then
put an anti-foul spacer in front of it. Cleared the P0430. With the Bosch sensor, I
went three deep, and it still didn't work. It has to be factory sensors.

Passenger side:

Only needed two spacers for the passenger side, cleared P0420.

I passed PA Emissions, and the secondary cats are gone. I also found one of them was
gutted, so I had to remove them both to even the exhaust flow. I will put factory
ones back on if I can find them.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:34 PM   #26
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by '10CamaroDude View Post
UPDATE:

You must use FACTORY O2 Downstream sensors, and add spacers to get rid of
the P0420 and P0430. I was plagued with this, as where the car lot I bought it from
had the car for ten weeks and could not fix it. They said they used AC Delco sensors
and they lied. They also drilled holes in the tip of the LH downstream sensor.

8 hours, over 4 weeks, I was able to clear it as soon as I replaced the crap BOSCH
sensor with a FACTORY sensor on the driver side.

Driver side:

This is equivalent to three anti-foul spacers. I used a REAL stainless spacer, then
put an anti-foul spacer in front of it. Cleared the P0430. With the Bosch sensor, I
went three deep, and it still didn't work. It has to be factory sensors.

Passenger side:

Only needed two spacers for the passenger side, cleared P0420.

I passed PA Emissions, and the secondary cats are gone. I also found one of them was
gutted, so I had to remove them both to even the exhaust flow. I will put factory
ones back on if I can find them.
Does PA not do a visual check?
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #27
2013ZL1FUN

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible A6 BRM
Catalytic converters never die, they are murdered!
Old 11-30-2020, 05:39 PM   #28
supersnake05

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013ZL1FUN View Post
Catalytic converters never die, they are murdered!
I love it!!!
supersnake05 is offline   Reply With Quote