Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #15
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Lol wtf no don't cut up OEM cats and slap it on like that. Just buy the highflow cats made for it. It's not even that expensive.
You act as this is a bad option. It's not about expense. It's about quality and longevity.

But I will yield this to you. I am running boost...which destroys cats. Perhaps the OP is running NA which aftermarket cats might be able to handle. But the reports of aftermarket cats failing are long and plentiful.

Also, show me some flow bench data showing how much "high flow" cats actually flow? How many cfm? How does this compare to stock cats? How does this compare to just the front OEM Camaro cat as suggested above? I started a thread about this a little while ago. ( http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435075 ). Guess how much data actually exists out there on this? Zero!!! I'm completely open to data on this subject. Not saying I'm right. It's a theory. But with no independent data to prove one way or the other...it gets hard to buy into "spend $300 on my high flow cat" theory. And it would be nice to see some idependent data on this. Not from "high flow" cat manufacturers...or from vendors who are happy to sell you whatever makes them more money.

So let's not trash the idea of using OEM cats...which we at least know went through some solid quality and longevity testing. And may flow just as good or as close to aftermarket "high flows". Ask questions. Use logic. Get data before you drop your dollars on these things.

The world of aftermarket cats leaves a lot to be desired. Especially if you expect them to last, and live in a high power environment.

Last edited by cc-rider; 02-14-2016 at 08:34 AM.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 02:09 AM   #16
762ch

Drives: 2011 2SS
This particular application is for getting more for your car when you trade it in? Not for making big dyno numbers. So why not hack up some oem cats that you can probably get for nearly free.

OEM cats are high quality and have been through rigorous testing. Chances are the new owner won't even be an enthusiast...
762ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #17
cc-rider

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762ch View Post
This particular application is for getting more for your car when you trade it in? Not for making big dyno numbers. So why not hack up some oem cats that you can probably get for nearly free.

OEM cats are high quality and have been through rigorous testing. Chances are the new owner won't even be an enthusiast...
Certainly agree there. But there are probably tens of thousands of these things laying around in people's garages. Look at how many people buy headers! Getting yourself a pair of stock cat downpipes if you ever want to go back to stock is simple. Or...buy yourself another set to hack up. I bet a "wanted" ad in classified section would get you fast responses and offers.
cc-rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #18
InfernoB
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS L99 Blk with IOM pkg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
We can help. A lot of companies have copied TSP parts but without the nice collectors, upgraded velocity spikes & with thinner seamed tubing....

The TSP stuff only features top quality material which is why there's such a good warranty!

Jason
Texas Speed
www.texas-speed.com

What type of warranty do yo get on the LT Headers with HF Cats for the Camaro? (2011 L99)
InfernoB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #19
BplumCrazy-SS

Drives: 416 w/TH400
Jason do you sell race pipes that look like cats