Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-09-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
tdemaria@hotmail.com

Drives: Synergy Green, 2011 Camaro SS
Adding backup camera to 2010-2011 ss

So understanding you have a radio supporting a backup camera, you can install it without removing the bumper cover. Run the wire along the middle of the car, under the carpet and rear seat. Under the seat is the power cable from the battery so run it near there. Once behind the seat run it behind the drivers side panel in the trunk. Remove the six screw lock from the rear panel in the trunk. Remove the drivers side brake light cover, 3 snaps. Once you pull back the trunk lining, you will see a harness through the trunk wall. Make a small hole in the rubber and run the video cable and trigger wire through it. Now remove the license plate, there is a square hole behind it. Using a fishtape or coat hanger, pull the wire down. Inside the hole at the bottom is a wire harness, pull it up and find the light green wire and the thick black wire. The light green is the power to the backup lights the black is ground. Hook the power wire and trigger wire to the light green, the negative wire to the black wire. Tape everything back up and plug and tape video wire. Mount camera on plate holes At radio hook up trigger wire to radio and plug in video. Its done. Depending on radio mount and if you know how to remove your console gauges, 1.5 hours your done and not have to remove the bumper cover.
tdemaria@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
bandier
Got mine!

Drives: 2021 LT1 RS - Orange Crush
Nice!
Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
grizli

Drives: SG 2SS/RS 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdemaria@hotmail.com View Post
So understanding you have a radio supporting a backup camera, you can install it without removing the bumper cover. Run the wire along the middle of the car, under the carpet and rear seat. Under the seat is the power cable from the battery so run it near there. Once behind the seat run it behind the drivers side panel in the trunk. Remove the six screw lock from the rear panel in the trunk. Remove the drivers side brake light cover, 3 snaps. Once you pull back the trunk lining, you will see a harness through the trunk wall. Make a small hole in the rubber and run the video cable and trigger wire through it. Now remove the license plate, there is a square hole behind it. Using a fishtape or coat hanger, pull the wire down. Inside the hole at the bottom is a wire harness, pull it up and find the light green wire and the thick black wire. The light green is the power to the backup lights the black is ground. Hook the power wire and trigger wire to the light green, the negative wire to the black wire. Tape everything back up and plug and tape video wire. Mount camera on plate holes At radio hook up trigger wire to radio and plug in video. Its done. Depending on radio mount and if you know how to remove your console gauges, 1.5 hours your done and not have to remove the bumper cover.
Can you elaborate on radio supporting camera?
I'd like to add to my camaro as well.
Where did you buy it? Any install videos?
grizli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
rotwiler
ruff ruff

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Radio supporting camera, like aftermarket stereo with backup cam input. I bought a backup cam that replaces the license plate light cover on one side, so looks oem and just snaps in like a oem light cover. And you still keep your light there, was like $12 for the cam, there are different ones, some have Sony sensors, some night vision. I bought 2 different ones, one with a led light built in, one uses your own light, prefer one that uses own light so both sides light color matches. Connection was simple, ran the backup trigger wire and rca from stereo to back of car and tapped in + and - at rear lights.
2010 2SS/RS, XO Verona wheels, BC coilovers oem ZL1 bumper conversion Kenwood ddx9905s, maestro, Kenwood xr1s, xr4s, kappa 1200w,subs, Kenwood xr comps and rear deck speakers, long tubes, hf cats, speed secrets tune, custom exhaust, CAI, blacked out everything.
rotwiler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backup camera, backup lamp, backup light, camera trigger