Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-09-2019, 01:42 AM   #1
jbug87t

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
MyLink conversion vs aftermarket vs iPad/stereo

Hello Camaro experts!

I have a 2011 LT with the BA system. It works ok, but I am getting REALLY tired of my iPod being the only thing that works really well with the USB port and the things that go with that: wonky menu, iPod playing 1st song on iPod every other time the car is off, iTunes in general, etc.

SO...

What are some thoughts on the following courses of action and what do you think is best:

1. MyLink Conversion: been looking at this since Ofer came out with it, and now that it can do the text messages...nice

2. Aftermarket doubleDIN radio: all the latest stuff; android auto, gps, HDRadio, possibly the Maestro stuff (i love tech, so if I'm dismantling Charlene, why do it halfway?)

3. iPad Mini with singleDIN radio: always been intrigued by these setups. versatility of the iPad, videos on demand (for passengers, of course) removable/can be locked up, easy apps for gauges/other stuff if you want them, in car internet/4G hotspot if you want

I'd keep the BA amp/speakers, probably add one of the driver's side trunk bass solutions. From what I can tell costwise, all three options in the end will cost about the same.

Well, let me know what you think...this $3000 or so investment is likely to keep me from doing something really crazy, like buying a new car with modern infotainment. (I REALLY don't want and can't afford a new car note...ugh.)

Thanks in advance for weighing in!

Buggs
jbug87t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:21 AM   #2
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro SS
I run Android auto on my phone and just Bluetooth stream it through the stereo on my 2010 2ss. I put the phone in top left of windshield.

Edit - stock BA system/stereo
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I did a cost comparison a couple of years ago between a MyLink conversion and aftermarket PAC. It was about $1500 versus $600. I think the PAC unit is even cheaper now and some people really like the Maestro unit. The cool thing with either the PAC or Maestro is that you can easily upgrade when something new comes along. For example, when I did my install, they didn’t have wireless CarPlay, now they do. All I have to do is take the old HU out and plug in a new one with wireless without changing the harness if I go with the same brand.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Long Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold and Missed
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
cfosceola

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Go with the Cam1 Idatalink maestro, you wont be dissapointed.
cfosceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:03 PM   #5
lemontwist

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
for less than 3k you can do a whole upgrade HU new speakers amp subwoofer i like the pac because the cam1 datalink changes the ac controls but you may like that.the boston amp is totally weak.i would almost be willing to help you with the install i was a installer long ago and i did my camaro.i have like 7 amps i'm going to be selling soon.if you get new everything and want to come to mooresville on weekend i'll help you with the install it will take a number of hours to do the whole thing or get a quote from bestbuy.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer...?skuId=6188306
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #6
jbug87t

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
Hi Everyone!

Thanks for weighing in. lemontwist, I might take you up on that install offer, once I figure out what radio I like the best. I think I want to go with the PAC kit too, since I'm not the only driver of my car and I don't want to get the dreaded call from the Mrs. that she cant get the A/C on. Nope, don't want that.

Sparko, I did the streaming thing for a while, but I could never find the right mount...windshield and vent mounts weren't doing it, plus, the bluetooth on my car is weird...it doesn't have the same sound quality as the iPod connected via USB. There is a noticeable lack of bass.

CFosceola (GO 'Noles!) I think you're right, I don't think I will be disappointed with the Maestro stuff, because I was trying to do the same things it does using an old android tablet at first, then a phone. I think I do want to retain the fan and temp knobs, so I guess its the PAC kit for me.

Finally, Cheap Guy, you make a GREAT point about being able to upgrade easier later. That is a huge factor in the decision.

So, thanks all. I think the next phase for me is determining which brand radio with the Maestro stuff I want and going from there. Don't think I'm messing with the speakers, but I might add a powered sub and would be pretty satisfied with that.

This forum and its people are the best. Thanks again!
jbug87t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 12:37 AM   #7
KenBaker

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
I was looking about 2 Months ago for the PAC Kit. It was 249.00. Now I cannot find it for under 280.00. Where are you finding it cheaper? Thanks
KenBaker is offline   Reply With Quote