Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-17-2019, 01:46 PM   #15
Danial

Drives: Chevy Camaro SS, Mustang GT, etc
Thanks for the pic. I have an L99 and it's cool to know what that casting number is and where it is at - especially for future reference.

I only bought the auto because I have a 50 mile round trip to work every day in Las Vegas, stop and go traffic. I tried doing it for a few months in my Mustang GT with a 5 speed but frankly, it sucked. (Not just the Mustang, but the stop and go nonsense with a manual.)

Once I have a different daily driver, the auto gets kicked to the curb.
Danial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:33 PM   #16
gm2376

Drives: 2010 Black 2ss Camaro SS
Doesn't matter if a ls3 conversion was done...it is still a l99.
ZL1 10 spokes,LS3 Conversion,ECS Supercharger, E85 Flex Fuel sensor, BTR Trunion Upgrade, B&M Tranny Cooler, Vigilante 4000 Triple Disc TC,Katech Ported Heads, Rod Mod Intake, ECS Big Blower Cam,ID 1700s, Fore Twin Pumps, E85,ATI Super Dampner, Pfadt Springs, Pfadt front and rear sway bars,Pfadt Trailing arms and toe rods,ZL1 Rear Diff, RPM level 6 Tranny, SW Long Tubes no cats,Bo White Throttle Body, Dr Phil Tune,GHL Cat back, Elite Catch Can, 20% Tint all around
gm2376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:42 PM   #17
Gordy87

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2376 View Post
Doesn't matter if a ls3 conversion was done...it is still a l99.
Agreed. Was just pointing out fact, if it had an LS3 conversion done to motor only.
Gordy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:43 AM   #18
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95tealZ View Post
Hi guys, new to the group. So I'm in the market for a nice low mile 5th gen. Was after the 6th gen but the nonexistent rear seats and a few other issues with those turned me off. A 2011 2SS with the RS package turned up at a dealership nearby that ticks most of my boxes with 2 exceptions...First its a convertible and while I wasn't specifically looking for one and wouldn't pay extra for it, it's a red car with what looks like a brand new top and it looks sharp. Second, I really wanted a manual/ls3. This car, and it's been driving me nuts, is an automatic with (allegedly) an ls3 and I was about 100% sure they couldn't be ordered that way and that it was strictly ls3/manual l99/auto. I'm assuming its an ls3 conversion. It has ls3 emblems on the front fenders (little tacky to me lol) and says it on the motor cover too. These are easy add-ons obviously but it gets better. So I look at the rpo codes in the trunk under the carpet and sure enough, it has l99 in there. Tells me it came out the factory with an l99 not an ls3. Then..we find the original window sticker in the glovebox. Top left under standard features, it lists "Engine 6.3L w/SFI", and "6 speed manual". So right there tells me yes, should be an ls3 so far. But over on the right of the window sticker under options, it lists the RS package with all the typical RS stuff, then right under that, it says "Transmission 6-speed Automatic 1,185 w/tap shift and remote start".
Other things I noticed are it has a borla atak axle back, cai, and what look like brand new foose wheels and micky thompson street comp tires, lol. Which is disappointing since the RS wheels are gone. So what's up with this car with the ls3/auto? Is this just a badged and converted l99? Any way to easily tell, if it's just a converted l99 without tearing the top off the motor in the dealers lot?
Welcome to the forum! And I am glad you are interested in the 5th gen Camaro.

I agree with others that the engine is most likely not an LS3. If the engine was replaced, and the dealer stands by the LS3, then they need to show paperwork from the mechanic that installed it. I have a 2010 L99. I replaced the engine with a crate L99. It cost me $8K and was installed by my local Chevy dealership. I will hold onto that receipt forever!!!

I remember when I was contemplating which LS engine to stick in my ride, several wouldn't be compatable and needed a new CPU to work correctly.

Overall I'd walk away from this car. Smells fishy.
ZL1 replica rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
The verts had faulty tops in that year so for that reason alone, not worth it.

joe...