Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #1
paulh012

Drives: Camaro SS
Rebuilt or New Engine

Alright so recently my automatic 2013 stage 2 Cammed Camaro with headers and full exhaust and CAI had a lifter fail and that’s when I decided to upgrade the car with the stage 2 cam from BTR. Car was put back together and took a little while for the tuner to get it running decent. After getting the car back for a month or so I took it to another tuner just to get it retuned you make sure everything was good. Tuner was getting some misfires and thought it was the spark plug wires so the plan was to get those replaced. Few days later I finally decided to mess with the car and did a couple of passes and a burnout and shortly after that the dash lit up. Took the car back to the shop the next day and come to find out a spring broke and a valve dropped. Still waiting for them to pull the heads to see the full damage but I’m trying to prepare for the worst. I need some help trying to figure out what would the cost be to get the engine rebuild if the piston is damaged? Of course I want to keep the cam and not get a new engine with a stock cam. So I’m seeking out help and advice on the subject.

SN: When the cam was put in the shop decided that the springs that came with the cam kit was too aggressive and decided to go with a less aggressive spring.
paulh012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
You had a BTR Cam with spring kit and the shop put in different springs?

Hate to hear this, but I'm sure others can help with the rebuild questions.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:42 PM   #3
paulh012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You had a BTR Cam with spring kit and the shop put in different springs?
Yea they did and not thinking at first we didn’t think nothing of it but with everything that happened we’re thinking that everything happened because of the “less aggressive springs” they put in
Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 PM   #4
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Well, that shop screwed you.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #5
paulh012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
Well, that shop screwed you.
Yea you’re right and we’d be hoping they take responsibility for it but we all know how that go
Old 03-28-2020, 09:28 PM   #6
Black_SS10
SomeguyK

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh012 View Post
Yea you’re right and we’d be hoping they take responsibility for it but we all know how that go
If the shop has any reputation they should. But I doubt it since they don't know what proper valve springs to use. Maybe they can comp you labor....but I wouldn't want them touching my car again.
TMS 427, Dart iron Block, Forged assembly, Frankenstien heads, AGP TT 62/62 BB turbo's, AGP/Fore triple fuel system, Tilton clutch, Holley 1 7/8 shorties, Technostalgia tail lights,Oracle, Aeroforce, MGW shifter,Flowmaster, Pegasus subframe bushings,BMR trailing & toe arms,Z28 UCA bushings,Zl1 rear sway bar,Prothane,BMR,Goodridge brake lines,Ridetech HQ coilovers,3.91,Trutrac,billet caps,DSS axles,HE offest,built TR6060,1LE diffuser,Havoc spoiler,SSclones,20in MRR 017, Pirelli P Zero, Nitto NT555RII

More to come.
Black_SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #7
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulh012 View Post
Yea they did and not thinking at first we didn’t think nothing of it but with everything that happened we’re thinking that everything happened because of the “less aggressive springs” they put in
BTR is top notch and no way I would go against their recommended springs...

Live and learn I guess but I would be pretty pissed at that shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_SS10 View Post
If the shop has any reputation they should. But I doubt it since they don't know what proper valve springs to use. Maybe they can comp you labor....but I wouldn't want them touching my car again.
Yeah, the free labor stuff always sounds good but you end up going down the same road again and again.

Run from that shop
Old 03-29-2020, 08:09 AM   #8
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
So it sounds like you don't do your own work, typically you will find if you're paying someone else to do it a replacement is cheaper, or about the same price. Also if you aren't doing your own work i would recommend a replacement short block rather than a rebuild because, i'm sorry to say but there's almost nobody i trust to rebuild and engine anymore. Very hard to find a local shop to trust they know what they are doing and will take the care to do it right, so for about the same price get a rebuilt short block by the pros and have the shop just swap it over its harder to mess up that way, especially if you're using the shop that essentially caused your problem. I wouldn't let them inside my engine. You might be ok with just a new valve and the correct springs. Have to check the head and piston to see if its beat up. If the valve broke apart it is also recommended to inspect the cat converter thoroughly to make sure there's no metal pieces inside it or it may suck that metal back into the cylinder when started. I believe the complex runner design of the intake also doesn't allow you to be able to clean metal that may have gotten in the and i would replace the intake manifold, this is if pieces of the valve or piston are missing. Might have damaged rocker, lifter cam lobe pushrod from the piston hitting the valve. I'm not a pro this is opinion and others may have more insight. What i mentioned about the cat and intake is actually a GM bulletin though.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 06:53 AM   #9
SuperChuck

Drives: 2013 1SS BlueRay Metallic
What was the original cam with failed lifter?
SuperChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:11 AM   #10
paulh012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperChuck View Post
What was the original cam with failed lifter?
Stock gm