Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #1
dtwolcot2

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
M6 launching experience

Just thought I would share my experience launching my ZL1.

When it was stock with drag radials I wasn't getting very good launches and affecting my et bad. I was getting 1.9-2.0 60ft and turning low 12.0 - 12.2. I could do 1.9 on the street tires. After a lot of practice, one day it just clicked and I was getting 1.7's and started running consistent 11.6's in great air. Wasnt sure what I really was doing different but I was thrilled, but after my next 3 visits to the track and still doing well, the clutch finally gave.

So now with a new clutch (stock) and an additional 125hp I've been fighting the last 4 outings getting good launches again. Again 1.9 and 2.0 60'. I tried launching at 3k, 4k, and 5k rpm's and it would just fall on its face out of the hole. Tried slipping the clutch more and I would just turn it to dust. I started to think I installed the clutch wrong, my tuning was off, the drag radials just gripped too much. I used to run 20 psi at the track and I started going up all the way to 30 psi hoping maybe a little wheel spin would keep the car from falling on its face. Nothing seemed to work. I think I have finally figured out what I was doing wrong and what I did right when I was stock. Without even knowing it and even launching at 5k rpm, when I launched I initially just worked the clutch and the gas pedal stayed the same spot until I started moving and then I mashed it. I never knew I was doing this. After all the frustration on my last run I figured I would just mash the gas as fast as I could to the floor while releasing the clutch. Really made a conscious effort to do it telling myself bI don't care if I blow the tires off, bad reaction, red light, or smoke the clutch I wasn't going to let the car fall on its face. Well it worked. I launched from 3k and mashed the throttle while releasing the clutch and got a 1.7 and I think I can do better too! I was only running the 1/8 and my luck would have it that I missed third gear. Ran a 7.68 at 88 mph. Even with 2.0 launches I was getting 7.70's at 97-100 mph. Now it's on to harder launches! It spun a little prob because I had 30 psi in the tires. So now I'll lower the tire pressure and launch at higher rpm's. Looking forward to some new personal best!

Excuse the long post, just thought maybe it could help someone else to realize that it's the driver and not the equipments fault. Also don't give up, keep practicing and trying different things. It really is awesome when you master the launch and bang all the gears in a manual to your best times ever. I've done it stock now just have to do it with all this extra power. Good luck!
Old 10-30-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
So from what I understand you are launching at 3K and just dropping the clutch? Or are you still feathering the clutch? Are you still running DR's or did you go back to stock tires?
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:36 PM   #3
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
What I do is get the clutch to where it wants to grab and rev up to 3500 once you start releasing the clutch floor the gas pedal. Otherwise you fall flat. Happened to me many times
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:58 PM   #4
dtwolcot2

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
So from what I understand you are launching at 3K and just dropping the clutch? Or are you still feathering the clutch? Are you still running DR's or did you go back to stock tires?
No still feathering the clutch a little and still running drag radials. I guess you could say my right foot was slightly delayed from releasing the clutch. If you just dump the clutch most likely you just spin. I felt like my feet were working together but as I found out they weren't. The delay from releasing the clutch and going full throttle must have been significant if I was still able to bog the motor down even dumping the clutch. I guess my point was, even if you think your doing it a certain way take a second look at it.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:02 AM   #5
dtwolcot2

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
What I do is get the clutch to where it wants to grab and rev up to 3500 once you start releasing the clutch floor the gas pedal. Otherwise you fall flat. Happened to me many times
Yep, that's what I have found out. If you're a little late on mashing the gas then it's going fall flat off the line.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
j.curt

Ok got it. I have a hard time on the launch with my car. I am running a 2.2 60ft and a 12.6 ET. The stock clutch is so hard to work without burning it up on the launch. I am going to get some DR's and see how much that will help. I'm trying to decide between the Nitto 05R and Mickey Thompsons.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:23 AM   #7
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Another thing that I'll try next time I go is getting the drivetrain ready by using the ebrake. Basically from what I understand is doing the same thing except pull your ebrake and start releasing the clutch to when the car basically locks in place. Kinda like a automatic when pressing on the brake and gas pedal. I tried it on the street and it was a spinfest lol but everything thing felt strong. There is a guy that ran 12.0 doing this with drag radials and boltons
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:31 AM   #8
j.curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
Another thing that I'll try next time I go is getting the drivetrain ready by using the ebrake. Basically from what I understand is doing the same thing except pull your ebrake and start releasing the clutch to when the car basically locks in place. Kinda like a automatic when pressing on the brake and gas pedal. I tried it on the street and it was a spinfest lol but everything thing felt strong. There is a guy that ran 12.0 doing this with drag radials and boltons
Look into a two step.