Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 02-17-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
Something new, kinda

Just had my dads Toyota inspected as he just moved here from out of state. Inspector mentioned the plastic cover around the back plate from the dealer is now not allowed since no part of the plate can be covered in Texas as of fairly recently.

I hadn't heard of this and i've got one on my Camaro from the dealer too. He said the locals don't really know about it yet but DPS will use it as a reason to stop you. Seems stupid and I can't think of a good reason for Texas to do this other than idiocracy at work.

So just FYI guys.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #2
DrLove38

Drives: 2013 Black SS/RS
The license plate frame is ok so long as it does not
alters or obscures one-half or more of the name of the state in which the vehicle is registered; or
(C) alters or obscures the letters or numbers of the license plate number or the color of the plate.
Also the covers designed to protect or keep the plate clean must not blur the numbers. Any smoked versions will not work. And probably a lot of clear ones too.
I have one on the rear of my pickup.
Also any type of flipper is highly illegal.
And what I really hate is that we are a 2 plate state.
Plus I have one of those nice black billet ones on the rear of my Camaro that covers the words The Lone Star State.
Most inspection places don't care as far as I have seen.
Probably not worth risking getting pulled over for.
DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #3
Benman

Drives: 13 IOM 2ss RS manual
This law was changed back about 2003 or so, I remember working with people who got pulled over by chickensh#t local cops by where we worked and getting tickets when the new law took effect. Although I haven't known anyone to get pulled over for that in years.
Benman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
ZEN357

Drives: 1991 Z/28 Convertible
Take it off. Don't give them a reason to pull you over. You don't want the headache. Trust me!!!!
ZEN357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #5
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
The real reason was the plastic covers over the complete plate that obscured the plate from being read by cameras (red-light traffic cams, toll cams, etc). Since it just stated "covers the plate", over zealous LEOs took it upon themselves to interpret as restrictively as possible, and used it for a reason to stop.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote