Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Rick@Livernois
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
lafountain

 
lafountain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2LT/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 835
Ford introduces new way to help parents

Ford introduced a key that allows parents to set limits on the cars speed and stereo volume.


http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...395/1148/rss25

http://jalopnik.com/5059406/ford-nan...d-radio-volume
__________________
Hey, you want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?

Last edited by lafountain; 10-06-2008 at 02:57 PM.
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #2
headpunter
Not That sad..considering
 
headpunter's Avatar
 
Drives: Man
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: the part of washington the capital forgot about.
Posts: 3,747
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
if chevy offered it, id use that key as my personal key because i dont think i can be trusted, i wonder if i can set the limiter to 60mph so i know ill behave.
__________________
headpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,754
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
interesting. wonder how long it will take for the kids to hack the system
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
lafountain

 
lafountain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2LT/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
interesting. wonder how long it will take for the kids to hack the system
I got to imagine since it is just a microchip, it will be a few days after the first one is sold.

Still a good idea other than the fact that teenagers will find a way to break it.
__________________
Hey, you want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown
 
Sizzox's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Vette
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 780
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
interesting. wonder how long it will take for the kids to hack the system
Good question and with their facts about teenagers accidents from speeding i wonder how many of those were over 80 mph? And I think 80 is set to high but then again i can see why they want some extra just in case so idk how i feel about this. I would hope when I have kids I can be able to trust them enough like my parents did to me without this new technolgy.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
lafountain

 
lafountain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2LT/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzox View Post
Good question and with their facts about teenagers accidents from speeding i wonder how many of those were over 80 mph? And I think 80 is set to high but then again i can see why they want some extra just in case so idk how i feel about this. I would hope when I have kids I can be able to trust them enough like my parents did to me without this new technolgy.
I personally don't have a problem with the 80, many interstates are 75 and this gives a little bit of clearance on that.
__________________
Hey, you want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
Sizzox
Most Known Unknown
 
Sizzox's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Vette
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Salem, Ohio
Posts: 780
Send a message via AIM to Sizzox
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
I personally don't have a problem with the 80, many interstates are 75 and this gives a little bit of clearance on that.
Well around me in ohio I havent seen anything above 65. But i guess if for you it would be alright in your case but for me i dont think so cause whats the diffrence of holding the speed limit at 80 when they could be going down a country road with a limit of 35 i dont really see how any limit on the car is gonna really help.
Sizzox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
MCPOAJ
 
Drives: LS2 FD RX7
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: NE.
Posts: 664
good thing gm isn't doing this how would you guys in your camaro's like to have a set limit of everything from the factory by the government?? it's bs not all kids are bad drivers... and plus the kids that are bad drivers will get older pos's anyway and plus think about it this way back in 1969 were there any speed limiters or goveners?? NO...
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
lafountain

 
lafountain's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Synergy Green 2LT/RS
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Posts: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzox View Post
Well around me in ohio I havent seen anything above 65. But i guess if for you it would be alright in your case but for me i dont think so cause whats the diffrence of holding the speed limit at 80 when they could be going down a country road with a limit of 35 i dont really see how any limit on the car is gonna really help.
True in the case of backroads like that, no limit will help.
__________________
Hey, you want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro? That's cool.

I bought a car, turned out to be an alien robot. Who knew?
lafountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:13 PM   #10
The_Blur
Jayhawk USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: Demon Super Sport
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,765
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
This is more proof that anyone can control your car and lock you out of it. These are going to become extensions of government intervention into your car. If it is not enough that they can ticket you for not wearing a seat belt, they'll soon be able to limit your car at 70.
__________________
FM: The_Blur/1110/USN//
TO: Camaro5//
INFO: RDP Motorsport//GEN5DIY//Cultrag Performance//JPSS//Rodgets Chevrolet//
SUBJ: Operation Demon//
REF: Buy at Invoice, RACECARWEAR
1. RESPECT ALL CARS. LOVE YOUR OWN.//BT
warn 145:155 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca
 
DGthe3's Avatar
 
Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 24,754
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I don't understand the big brother argument at all, in this context or any other. Its as if people think that they are entitled to break the law. I will concede that it is the ultimate goal for government to exercise ultimate control over its people and control every aspect of their life. And that laws don't exist to protect people, the exist to restrict people. Hmm, wait a minute, that doesn't sound right. Sooo...

Everyone should be free to do anything they want, all the time. Everything else is an infringement on personal freedom. Hmm. that doesn't seem right either.

I'm done now
__________________
Note, if I've gotten any facts wrong in the above, just ignore any points I made with them
__________________
Originally Posted by FbodFather
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!
__________________

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
nester7929
Rice Harvester
 
nester7929's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Plainview, TX
Posts: 1,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
This is more proof that anyone can control your car and lock you out of it. These are going to become extensions of government intervention into your car. If it is not enough that they can ticket you for not wearing a seat belt, they'll soon be able to limit your car at 70.
Nah, there have been governors on cars for a long time now. If the government was going to limit the speed of the car, they would have done so already.

And I agree that cops shouldn't ticket people for not wearing a seatbelt; it impedes natural selection.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Funny CamaroSpike23 Off-topic Discussions 34 02-14-2011 10:50 AM
OFFICIAL 2010 Camaro Specifications (full tech specs PDF inside) Tran Guides, Manuals, Bulletins, Documentation Archive 394 06-11-2010 06:16 PM
Ford delays launch of new F-150 KILLER74Z28 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 06-20-2008 01:37 PM
Ford Flex: Reclaiming land lost to imports, from coast to coast Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 0 04-16-2008 12:56 AM
Detriot News Autos Insider: Ford moving ahead with RWD plans Scotsman General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 12 04-01-2008 03:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.