Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #1
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Self Help Tutorial: Manual Transmission for Beginners

I've been reading a lot of topics here recently about people who decided to get a manual transmission and never having owned one before they learned on the Camaro they purchased.

I am trying to convince a coworker to get an M6 but she's nervous about learning to drive. I tried to teach her but the funny thing is that when I "try" to explain how I do it I manage to lose my smoothness because I'm THINKING about what I'm doing.

Anyone here have a good write-up that beginners can study from and learn? I get the feeling that there's a right way to teach and a wrong way.

This thread may help others so I posted it in general discussions.

Thanks!
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
beekay70

Drives: 2010 CGM SS Camaro
I've been driving a stick off and on for the past 20 years and I doubt I am doing it right; I learned by trial and error. I like driving a stick - that's why I bought the SS with the M6, but I am sure that I could learn a thing or two from a pro. I'm always wary of trying to take someone at the light, as I would hate to do disservice to all of the Camaros out there and stall out or kangaroo hop across the street.
beekay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by beekay70 View Post
I've been driving a stick off and on for the past 20 years and I doubt I am doing it right; I learned by trial and error. I like driving a stick - that's why I bought the SS with the M6, but I am sure that I could learn a thing or two from a pro. I'm always wary of trying to take someone at the light, as I would hate to do disservice to all of the Camaros out there and stall out or kangaroo hop across the street.
That's a good point. A discussion of optimum techniques for various situations would be cool as well. Drag racing techniques, heel-and-toe, etc.

Anything that anyone wants to teach would be welcome!
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
This is my first manual.

Only had one herky jerky episode when I first started. Not completely smooth yet but I'm learning more every time I drive.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #5
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Just a few tips that may help:

1) Find an empty parking lot with lots of space.

Note: A street clutch has both springs and a wavy metal piece behind the friction surface called a marcel. These work together to allow for smooth clutch engagement.

2) If you are on a level surface start by disengaging the clutch with one foot and holding the brake with the other. SLOWLY engage the clutch until it starts pulling the motor down just a little and then SLOWLY let your foot off the brake. The car should basically be sitting there with zero forward motion. Good.

3)Now try and get the car moving forward by letting the clutch out just a little more WITHOUT touching the gas, this will teach you how the friction zone works. If you stall it, try it again.

4) After getting comfortable doing this, try doing this on a slight uphill incline if you can find one. If not you can cheat by putting the car in reverse and getting it moving SLOWLY in reverse, then putting it in first (a little tricky with no synchro) and trying it that way.

5) Once you have perfected smooth starts using the friction zone, then add a LITTLE gas right after you release the brake still working in the friction zone.

6) As you get better you can continue to increase the amount of gas as well as the speed of engagement.

7) When trying to accelerate fast on the street on street tires, you MUST use some of the friction zone. Otherwize, at some point you will probably either a) stall or b) do a burnout.

Now a fundamental for shifting:

8) To practice shifting, find an open road or BIG parking lot and work on the 1st to 2nd shift. (If you perfect the 1-2 shift, the others are easier because each shift is lesser torque multiplication) Most modern car computers will hold engine rpm for shift-point matching, but when you have just shifted into 2nd gear from first, note the rpm versus speed. Next time you try a shift from 1st to 2nd, try to match that same rpm/speed ratio. Once again use the friction zone slightly for smoothness if necessary.

Racing is a whole step above this, but know that rpm matching to speed and the friction zone still come in to play. Just a whole lot quicker and faster.

Just my < .02
Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
tradosaurus
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 F150 Lariat, Candy Red
Simple rules for learning to drive a stick:

You can't find em' Grind em.
tradosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #7
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradosaurus View Post
Simple rules for learning to drive a stick:

You can't find em' Grind em.
I always like to say "You know, they're making them out of rubber next year" whenever someone grinds gears shifting
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Here's a question:

Who here clutches using their foot/ankle only (Heel on the carpet) and who here clutches with their upper leg muscles?
Old 12-16-2009, 06:41 PM   #9
diddiyo

Drives: .
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:01 PM   #10
jeffny09

Drives: 2010 camaro
Send a message via AIM to jeffny09 Send a message via Yahoo to jeffny09
most times my heal is on the floor

10. A manual transmission is the ultimate in control
9. You can use automotive jargon and not sound like a total tool
8. You can't spell "manual" without "man"
7. Manual transmissions prove you can do more than one thing at a time
6. You can't drift in an auto
5. You can't pull fancy moves in an automatic
4. You get better fuel economy with a stick
3. You’ll never look like a chump if you can drive stick
2. Manual transmission cars are faster
1. Women like a guy who is good with his hands.

jeffny09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #11
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Most times my heel is in the air
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
power shifting for drag racing........ rev matching for dropping into lower gears

google these word
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
Rtoups

Drives: RJT 2LT
I recently learned stick. Two pieces of advice. First, GO SLOW. Second, you have to come to terms that you probably will inconvenience a few people along the way. You will stall at a stop some time, and the jerk behind you WILL honk.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
Lucky SOB

The only way to get good after someone has taught you the basics is to go out ALONE and just drive drive drive