Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #29
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
You are also making assumptions on a one sided story. Did the dealer not say she would have to LEAVE the car. And how do we know the girl said "I'll just drive it home and talk with my parents". And do you honestly believe she wouldn't call herself. My daughter wouldn't do anything without contacting me first or making sure the Service Manager didn't get ahold of me. We are not flaming the OP, but sounds like there is more to this.
Thats right the dealer did say to leave the car there. So why did they let her drive off? I would prefer to give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that his daughter did not say FU I'm driving away now. Reading his post it seems like they said "to fix this it must be left here for 3 weeks" not "If you don't leave the car here your life will end in a flaming bloddy death". As well the OP said his daughter DID ask the dealer to call dad, and they didn't bother. Yes I agree sometimes we are too harsh on dealers, but this is a 17 year old girl we are talking about who probably doesn't know a box wrench from a #2 pencil. She like most other girls of that age I know had no clue what to do and if the dealer said we can't give you a rental car, you can leave the car or go with it, she probably just went not thinking or knowing this is a BAD problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Why is everyone so quick to bash the dealer? We don't know the whole story. We don't know the "actual" fault! Maybe the dealer "bending over backwards" isn't needed here because the fault is only electronic and not something dangerous. Again, yes, Hugger is only asking questions. Call the dealer back and ask if the car is safe to drive, is the fuel pump running all the time, whatever... If it is not safe to drive, then take the next step about alternate transportation. Sounds like there was a miscommunication between the customer/tech/manager and now us too!
I wouldn't call asking her father to come down so he can take the rental car bending over backwards, its a little common courtesy to a customer. And if the problem truly is "fuel pump running all the time" while it may be safe to physically drive, its not safe to start up after its been sitting as firstly the engine will be flooded, or worse if the fuel leaks out of wherever. But the battery would probably be dead once that happens anyway.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM   #30
Hugger_68SS

Drives: My Favorite: '77 Vette
kinda toasty on this thread

First, I dont need to apologize for buying a Camaro for a 17 yr old. Thankfully she is self sufficient and does not need to be babysat. She has a cell phone and does not require clearance from anyone to go to the Chevy dealer for service. When Onstar diagnosed her problem, they advised her to go to the dealer ASAP, Onstar had an appointment set. The service desk explained the problem to her as a fuel system malfunction, which would put the car out of service for 1-3 weeks waiting for parts. My phone # was given the service rep and he assured my daughter he would call me, but never attempted to call. Next day I call service dep't on the phone. He says fuel pump running with key off is NOT a safety issue. I'm not convinced. What if the pump ran the battery down, could leave her stranded. Right now waiting for word back from Chevy on courtesy car. Camaro parked, no fuel pump noise. Check engine light on. Toasters can proceed...
Old 12-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #31
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
Why would a 17 year old have a 2010 Camaro?

Must have a hell of a high school job
My parents bought me a brand new Trans Am when I was 16. My dad wanted his 454ci Corvette back! I was driving it to high school.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #32
Hugger_68SS

Drives: My Favorite: '77 Vette
I wonder why some posters think it's unusual for teenagers to be driving Camaro's. This phenomenon has been going on for 42 years.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:24 PM   #33
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugger_68SS View Post
First, I dont need to apologize for buying a Camaro for a 17 yr old. Thankfully she is self sufficient and does not need to be babysat. She has a cell phone and does not require clearance from anyone to go to the Chevy dealer for service. When Onstar diagnosed her problem, they advised her to go to the dealer ASAP, Onstar had an appointment set. The service desk explained the problem to her as a fuel system malfunction, which would put the car out of service for 1-3 weeks waiting for parts. My phone # was given the service rep and he assured my daughter he would call me, but never attempted to call. Next day I call service dep't on the phone. He says fuel pump running with key off is NOT a safety issue. I'm not convinced. What if the pump ran the battery down, could leave her stranded. Right now waiting for word back from Chevy on courtesy car. Camaro parked, no fuel pump noise. Check engine light on. Toasters can proceed...
+1 to the op for not posting a heated response to this.

My opinion is that the car should have been left at the dealer and they should give you one of thier loaner cars to drive till they can get parts.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #34
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo View Post
+1 to the op for not posting a heated response to this.

My opinion is that the car should have been left at the dealer and they should give you one of thier loaner cars to drive till they can get parts.

x2!!

Hugger, you responded very well. My son turns 16 tomorrow, and on weekends, the Camaro is his, if he wants it. He actually has a 99 Mercury Sable, and actually loves his mom's Malibu, but there is absolutely no reason for anyone here to ask why a 17yr old would be driving a Camaro. It does not need to be justified.

Btw, my response would be the obvious one....IT'S A CAR DIMWITS! Not a God.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:17 PM   #35
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugger_68SS View Post
I wonder why some posters think it's unusual for teenagers to be driving Camaro's. This phenomenon has been going on for 42 years.
I don't think it's a question of it being a Camaro, it's the fact that it's a new Camaro. Some people don't get the concept of buying a new driver a brand new car, myself included. But I'm not going to "toast" you for it. I just don't agree.

My 17 year old daughter is allowed to drive my Camaro (either one, '68 or '10) when she wants, but she loves her 03 Mustang that she paid half for, just as much.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:20 PM   #36
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd15 View Post
I don't think it's a question of it being a Camaro, it's the fact that it's a new Camaro. Some people don't get the concept of buying a new driver a brand new car, myself included. But I'm not going to "toast" you for it. I just don't agree.

My 17 year old daughter is allowed to drive my Camaro (either one, '68 or '10) when she wants, but she loves her 03 Mustang that she paid half for, just as much.
So what you're saying is that some people don't get the concept of spending more money for a new driver?
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:25 PM   #37
Downwithopp

Drives: 2010 Black SS
God, it seems like every post on these forums lately turn into some big retarded argument over the most pointless stuff.

OP: Sorry about what's going on with your daughters car. I would be pretty heated if I was in your position as well.
Downwithopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:38 PM   #38
beekay70

Drives: 2010 CGM SS Camaro
Obviously, the people that are so heated over this have not had a 17 year old child, or if they did, the kid required quite a bit of hand-holding. My daughter gets her car serviced all on her own. If she has a question, she calls me. I would be ticked at the dealer, as the OP is. The dealer screwed up.
beekay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #39
kjd15
Finally!!

Drives: '10 2LT Summit white, '68 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
So what you're saying is that some people don't get the concept of spending more money for a new driver?
Not just the money aspect.
kjd15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #40
beekay70

Drives: 2010 CGM SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd15 View Post
Not just the money aspect.
As Hugger rightfully points out, teenagers and Camaros have been together for a long time. Why does this bother so many people? I received my first Camaro six months ago at age 38, but I would have killed to have one at 17, and I'm thinking of buying my 17 year old daughter one as a graduation present.
beekay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #41
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport

What the heck is the hubbub about the age of the OP's daughter.

Heck, I think I can easily say, this is one damn safe automobile in which to put your precious daughter. Kudo's for that.

Regardless, I think there appears to be a lot of miscommunication with the Dealer Service folks going on.

I would go in and have a nice discussion (key word being nice - not threatening) and get the matter settled. If the car has to be tied up for an extended peiod of time, then it is part of the warranty coverage. Get the rental, drive it yourself, and let your daughter drive your car. That is a relatively fair solution to the wait situation.

Good Lord, everyone sure seems to be getting awfully grouchy.

Chill out Folks, it's the Holiday Season. I for one Say Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in the spirit of enjoying the celebration of the season regardless of your religious or non-religious beliefs.

I am not the PC type anyway.

Last edited by greenrail; 12-16-2009 at 03:57 PM.
greenrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #42
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS and a 09' Deluxe
You should let her drive your car and then you get the free rental and you drive that...What are dads for...
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote