Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lafountain View Post
Local dealership did the work in both February and May. Due to me admittedly not knowing a whole lot about doing auto maintenance, they have done quite a bit of the work on the car for me when it has been needed. I am pretty sure both times was just a fluid change as they actually advised me against a flush.
yeah, i was going to advise you not to flush as well. problem being, when you flush the tranny, some of the gunked up material and whatnot that is holding the clutches in the right place or keeping holes from leaking gets cleaned out and will ruin an auto quicker than shit.

but like i said, if you want to pay for shipping, ive got a local builder who can hook you up.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #16
DVS_DAN

Drives: 1994 Z28 w/ 383 Stroker and nitrous
1994 Z28 383 stroker needs 4L60E rebuild

I'm bumpin this old ass thread because I have the same issue and want to explore possible solutions if some of these prices are still valid. It's 15 posts, get over it.

I have a '94 Z28 w/ a 383 stroker engine and I F'ed up the automatic tranny a week ago while sliding sideways around a corner and laying on the gas to fire down the road. As I pulled away down the road, the RPM's kept rising and it wasn't upshifting so I let off and it made it's way to second gear and I backed off the acceleration.

Since then, the shift from park into either reverse or 1st takes an extra second or two and the shift from 1st to 2nd has a stutter and slight chatter. I brought it in today to a transmission place (owner there knows my neighbor who is a Master Mechanic). He drove it a bit and then told me the clutch plates seem to have gotten burned up, given the smell and color of the fluid too.

His estimate was $2200, with some upgrades due to the engine. (not sure what upgrades, torque converter?) What is the consensus on pricing for a rebuild, AND I would love to hear that I could pull off switching to a manual for the same price as my 4L60E rebuild! Thanks everyone

*EDIT: Rear end oil & gasket, plus the tranny fluid & filter change was just done late last year, car's been sitting parked over the winter. I replaced the tranny mount recently, which was split in two and was reasoning for chatter during hard acceleration last season.
DVS_DAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #17
DVS_DAN

Is everyone striking against the post because it was an old thread or what? Has anyone had their tranny rebuilt and upgraded for some extra horsepower?
Old 04-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #18
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS_DAN View Post
Is everyone striking against the post because it was an old thread or what? Has anyone had their tranny rebuilt and upgraded for some extra horsepower?
No stike, but I can tell you when I had a LT1 with an automatic, it started doing the same stuff you were talking about before it suicided.

Since you've bored it out, I'd cut to the chase and get one that's built. Bet if you look over at ls1tech you could find a sponsor to recommend to you exactly how far you need to go upgrading it based on you're power level, and you could compare that cost to what your guy locally is telling you.

I bet swapping to a 6 speed would cost about in the same ball park as getting a semi-built auto, keep in mind that finding all the parts to do a 6 speed swap on a LT1 is going to be a pain in the ass.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:51 AM   #19
DVS_DAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
No stike, but I can tell you when I had a LT1 with an automatic, it started doing the same stuff you were talking about before it suicided.

Since you've bored it out, I'd cut to the chase and get one that's built. Bet if you look over at ls1tech you could find a sponsor to recommend to you exactly how far you need to go upgrading it based on you're power level, and you could compare that cost to what your guy locally is telling you.

I bet swapping to a 6 speed would cost about in the same ball park as getting a semi-built auto, keep in mind that finding all the parts to do a 6 speed swap on a LT1 is going to be a pain in the ass.
Yeah, it was discussed that the tranny would be upgraded for the power. I wish a manual swap would be easier, but I keep hearing about the little things that would have to be done and that would make it an ongoing project I suppose. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
DVS_DAN

Once in a great while the sun WILL shine on a dog's ass. I think I found my solution:

4L60E Transmission, F-Body - $600

This is a transmission from a 1994 Pontiac Trans Am with the LT1. Also a direct fit in 94 Firebird and Camaro.

Trans has about 7k miles on it since a rebuild. It was rebuilt with Kevlar bands, new Corvette servo, and some valve body work. Basically the equivilant to a "Stage 1" or "Level 1" rebuild, this can hold 450-500 horsepower.
Stall is about 2000-2200.

The transmission shifts very firm due to the valve body work and computer changes.

This will be a direct replacement for any '94 year 4L60E RWD transmission. It can be put into a 95, 96, or even 97 with a few modifications. Mainly involves reprogramming the computer. I can explain more about that if you're interested.

Please reply with any questions.

I also have a complete LT1 engine, and a set of Hooker Headers. I can put together a package deal if interested.