Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
syracuseballer

Drives: 2010 rally yellow 2ss/rs m6
tunnel brace question

just installed flow master american thunder 3" catback. but the tunnel brace wont bolt back on it would be sitting against the exhust. stock one & the one i got from elite. help appericiated. thanks to all in advance
syracuseballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
bilydean

Drives: One of the rare ABM camaros
I have that exhaust on my LS3 and didn't have any issues. Try twisting the pipes around and see if that gives you any clearance. I suppose you could put some washers between the brace and the car to space it out a abit to create some space.

Good luck (and it does sound awesome)
Dean
3400 6/20 TPW of 6/29
3800 7/3
4D00 7/8 interned at QC
4B00 7/16 Released from QC
4200 7/20

8/5 We picked up the car
bilydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilydean View Post
I have that exhaust on my LS3 and didn't have any issues. Try twisting the pipes around and see if that gives you any clearance. I suppose you could put some washers between the brace and the car to space it out a abit to create some space.

Good luck (and it does sound awesome)
Dean
+1.

I had the same thing happen to me on my flowmaster. I put washers on my brace...and then I bought an LSR Tunnel brace which gave some more clearance because I couldnt handle having something rigged like that on my car. But then when I was under it I seen that if I would have just twisted the pipes up it would likely clear the stock brace.

To the OP...you need to twist the pipes inward and up so to speak.

If you think it sounds good now...try some headers and ORX....it is amazing.
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
I had the luxury of installing my Flowmaster AT on a hoist. This allowed me to "push up" on the pipes while my buddy tightened everything down. Didn't need any washers for the cross brace. If you don't have a buddy to help you use a jack. Loosen the bolts then lift up the pipes with the jack then tighten back up real tight.

Also, make sure the pipe is not upside down where the "X" pipe is. You should be good to go.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #5
syracuseballer

So flip the x pipe around so the flow master logo is facing up and not facing the ground?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracuseballer View Post
So flip the x pipe around so the flow master logo is facing up and not facing the ground?
\

No, I believe "Flowmaster" should be facing the ground. If it is, you may just need to loosen the clamps both front and back, then push up on the pipes with authority and hold them up while a friend re-tightens them.

Hope this helps. Mine fits fine with the OEM brace.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #7
syracuseballer

Thanks bro
Old 03-11-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
flowmann

Drives: 1972 Camaro Z28
Hey SyracuseBaller,

The great thing about this message board is everyone is really trying to help their fellow members.

The Flowmaster logo on the X-pipe should be facing the ground. It should not be facing the underbody of the car.
As the other members stated, if your exhaust is hanging down and not allowing you to install your tunnel brace, you will need to loosen all the clamps and push the exhaust upwards while tightening the clamps. If necessary, get somebody to help you. Don’t leave the brace off. It’s an important part of the Camaro underbody structure.
If you have further questions, please call our tech line. It’s toll free.
1-800-544-4761
flowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowmann View Post
Hey SyracuseBaller,

The great thing about this message board is everyone is really trying to help their fellow members.

The Flowmaster logo on the X-pipe should be facing the ground. It should not be facing the underbody of the car.
As the other members stated, if your exhaust is hanging down and not allowing you to install your tunnel brace, you will need to loosen all the clamps and push the exhaust upwards while tightening the clamps. If necessary, get somebody to help you. Don’t leave the brace off. It’s an important part of the Camaro underbody structure.
If you have further questions, please call our tech line. It’s toll free.
1-800-544-4761
I am about to order the American Thunder system for our "BUDGET BOLTUP project Camaro" It is a one of one car so everything has to be made to return to stock....Thank You in advance for saveing me a headache!!!
Much of the equipment and tech advice is being donated..the rest we find here on Camaro5...and yes it is awsome that we all help each other!!!! Best board I have been on ever.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Someone in another thread suggested pushing a wood wedge in between the brace and pipe before your tighten everything up, then slipping the wood out.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #11
thesnoopster

Drives: '17 Fifty SS - '18 Traverse Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSEST View Post
Someone in another thread suggested pushing a wood wedge in between the brace and pipe before your tighten everything up, then slipping the wood out.
That works too...I used a jack and jacked it up as high as it will go and then I tighten the bolts and I had space between the brace and exhaust pipes. I did order a tunnel brace from Elite Engineering and it added more clearance.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
Jcobra

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs M6
I just went through this with the stock exhaust hitting that brace. I bought 4 hard rubber and 4 metal washers and put them between the brace and the frame. Problem solved
Jcobra is offline   Reply With Quote