Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2018, 10:26 AM   #29
Sozo

Drives: 2015 Comm. M6 2SS convertible
5k miles is a really nice amount of miles ..but just for comparison and to show you if your looking hard there are deals to be had …(I say this cause it sounds like you were not really hunting but it just caught your eye)
over fathers day weekend I got a 2015 2ss commemorative edition 6 speed manual convertible with 25k miles for just under 26k ..started out at 28k but negotiations are a way of life in the south
https://imgur.com/o413Qib
Sozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #30
jrob56

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ 4wd 5.3
It has been years, but I test drove an L99 5th gen and remember thinking it didnt feel all that quick compared to my 4th at the time. I chalked that up to weight and torque mgmt. Been driving my buddies 2012 caprice some too and man that car needs tuned. L77 but seems like torque mgmt is really holding it back.

Sold:
95 Taurus SE
00 Z28 A4
06 TBSS
06 GTO M6
02 F150
01 B4C A4
05 GTO M6
02 Z28 M6
jrob56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #31
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomcustom View Post
I test drove two gen 5 ZL1s and felt they weren't that quick either for 580hp
Pulley & tune will fix that

First time I drove one, I had the same thought. But it carries its weight so much easier than a SS
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:56 PM   #32
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The power in today's cars is so refined you really don't feel it through the car like the old days.I felt every hp through my old Javelin even though it wasn't as powerful as my l99. But on run against a stock l99 vs a stock v6 quickly shows what the pecking order is regardless of what your butt dyno tells you.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #33
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob56 View Post
It has been years, but I test drove an L99 5th gen and remember thinking it didnt feel all that quick compared to my 4th at the time. I chalked that up to weight and torque mgmt. Been driving my buddies 2012 caprice some too and man that car needs tuned. L77 but seems like torque mgmt is really holding it back.
I should probably mention that the salesman was a very big guy, I’d guess about 275 pounds, so the car was lugging around a lot more weight than I’m used to driving around with when it’s just me in my V6 vert. But like I said, it was noticeably faster than my car, it just didn’t blow me away as much as I was expecting.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:43 PM   #34
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
You just have to drive a proper L99. Mine wasn’t that impressive coming from a LS3 auto corvette, but the fuse pull absolutely changed the power delivery.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:41 AM   #35
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
The power in today's cars is so refined you really don't feel it through the car like the old days.I felt every hp through my old Javelin even though it wasn't as powerful as my l99. But on run against a stock l99 vs a stock v6 quickly shows what the pecking order is regardless of what your butt dyno tells you.
True, maybe a little too refined.
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #36
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
A lot of folks say that about the ZL1. The thing is with the weight, and how well the car handles speed the car feels slow when in reality it's not. Don't forget it's rated at 3.8 0-60 for the A6, that's not too shabby.
The ZL1 is no slouch, unless you are used to driving 800 rwh cars. Its best suit, however, is handling and steering. Someone mentioned the steering of the 5th gens; The ZL1 had the sharpest steering I've had with any car. The steering took me by surprise. All Camaros are good performers, and each model designation has its own distinct set of performance characteristics.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:18 AM   #37
DT10

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Thats a nice looking car. I really like the white with orange combo. It’s kind of a funny thing with speed in these cars. You don’t really notice it. My car is fairly new to me and one day I wanted to see what it could do. I pulled out onto a straight away, no traffic, and started off normal in first. Then gunned it and ran through second. Shifted into third with the pedal down and when I looked at the hud I could not believe I was going 84 already. The acceleration and handling is impressive.
DT10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:58 AM   #38
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT10 View Post
Thats a nice looking car. I really like the white with orange combo. It’s kind of a funny thing with speed in these cars. You don’t really notice it. My car is fairly new to me and one day I wanted to see what it could do. I pulled out onto a straight away, no traffic, and started off normal in first. Then gunned it and ran through second. Shifted into third with the pedal down and when I looked at the hud I could not believe I was going 84 already. The acceleration and handling is impressive.

That's my love hate with this car. I step on it to pass someone or just for shits and giggles, and bam I'm doing 130-140 (km/h). Feels like you just picking up a little speed, when in reality your going much faster.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:27 PM   #39
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
That's my love hate with this car. I step on it to pass someone or just for shits and giggles, and bam I'm doing 130-140 (km/h). Feels like you just picking up a little speed, when in reality your going much faster.

So my brother-in-law was itching for a ride. We pull onto the main drag and I hammer it up to 50MPH in a 40. I shift to 4th and he says,"What, no second?" "We're already going 50." "So you are already speeding?" "Yep"

We turn onto a 35 zone. As we are tooling along ~40MPH, and this is something you can never do in an automatic, I slip it down into 2nd, open the throttle wide, and pop the clutch. I literally knocked him out of his shoes. "Holy shit! You knocked me out of my shoes!" and he starts trying to reach the shoes. But the seat is too far back.

Now, he is my age, and power seats were not an option in the first cars we drove. And anyone who has ever tried to adjust a manual seat knows that you shouldn't release it while the vehicle is in motion. And we are coming to a stop signal so I figure he's smart enough to wait until we stop before he... and he reaches down and releases the seat while we are stopping. He's still bent forward trying to reach his shoes and the seat slams forward and his head hammers the dashboard.

I busted a gut. He gives me this look as if it's my fault and I couldn't help but laugh even harder.

The light turns green and he's trying to fit his shoes back to his feet and I wind it up and pop the clutch again. There he goes, his arms and legs flailing, the shoe still on the floor sliding under the seat

I had to pull into a parking lot, I couldn't see for the tears running out of my eyes. We were just tooling along again, so he's trying to get the shoe from under the seat and we reached the driveway to the strip mall and I gave a bit of a lift and twisted the wheel to the right and we bounced over the gutter. Now he is falling over the console, drops the shoe again, and I'm

Well, there just happened to be a bar in this particular strip mall (I knew that) and we went in and and then drove calmly back home.
Old 07-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #40
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:45 PM   #41
Dusk_2SS

Drives: 2013 Dusk Special Edition 2SS/RS
Most likely needed the L99 fuse pull. Most dealers won't put 92 in the tank, and even if they did, they can drop the fuel table back to 87 depending on how it's driven. Only way to tell is to fill it up with 92 and pull the 2 fuses for a couple hours. Probably not going to get the dealer to go through that much trouble though.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #42
EMB135Driver
Jedi Master

Drives: Boeing 757/767+2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post

Plus, it's a lighter V8 coupe versus a heavier V6 convertible. Heck, I'm thinking a 6sp manual V6 coupe would probably feel just about the same or even faster than a stock L99 then.
You might want to keep on thinking.......