Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
Does anyone have an LMR intake that can share a dyno graph for us? Preferably stock vs the intake.
If you look in my build journal...I have several dynos, only one with the LMR intake...non however that are a 'true' before and after of just the CAI....
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
Old 01-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #30
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
I hope that guy had the LMR given to him for allowing this "test", otherwise he just wasted a bundle of money. This "test" appears to have been run unfairly biased towards the LMR advantage of being open topped since the hood was open and assuming (yes I know what happens when ASSuming) the CAI Inc. was left sealed.

Dude, whoever you are..............If you read this, go back and insist on running this again with the HOOD CLOSED and even if there is no clear winner then......demand your money back for the LMR. If the LMR still performs better, KUDOS to LMR and hopefully sales pick up.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #31
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Drives: 2013 SW ZL1
The level of detail in the testing done by Jannetty speaks volumes to me. Running a dyno of some guys car that happened to be in the shop and agreed to take part in a "test" seems at best, unscientific.

Just sayin...
Old 01-12-2010, 06:20 PM   #32
8ty8 ls1
Resident Engineer

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 1988 GMC S-15
Still waiting on stock vs. Lmr vs. Cai Inc graphs. I just really want to see the gain difference between the 2 intakes.

12.68 @ 109: LSR cai, Borla S-type axle-back, Tunes
Old 01-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #33
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
5-7 hp... really people, is it that big of a deal?

What I don't like about the LMR intake is the huge LMR on the intake and the funky looking filter. . . To me buying a CAI will be laid upon looks then performance.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:28 PM   #34
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post

What I don't like about the LMR intake is the huge LMR on the intake and the funky looking filter. . . To me buying a CAI will be laid upon looks then performance.
I would have to agree that the CAI most certainly looks cleaner.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #35
firengnred

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2006 2500 Silverado
Quote:
For the amount of money that gets laid out for these.....YES.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words. Choose your words, for they become actions. Understand your actions, for they become habits. Study your habits, for they will become your character. Develop your character, for it becomes your destiny."
Old 01-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #36
darenf02

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP LS7 swapped
As well as the crankcase breather hose......not a huge deal BUT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
Both Pictures of the Cold Air Inductions Shows the Mass Air Meter Was Unplugged this could definately be the Problem.
LS7 swap stage 3 cam, MSD intake, NW 103 TB, LME heads, JBA ceramic coated LT's 1 7/8" Flowmaster 3" w/high flow cats & X pipe, MPD Motorsports cowl induction hood, CAI, ZL1 front clip, Jet Mass-Air Sensor, rear valence, Stealth bulbs, 20% tint, taillight blackouts, side marker blackouts, modern SS emblem back, 427 rear emblem, S.S. rear spoiler, MGW shifter, black ZL1 replica wheels (wider), 160* thermostat, front firing 2x12" Rockford Fosgate subs, NA 619rwhp on Mustang Dyno
Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #37
MadMav

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6
Sitting back and gonna enjoy this one.

I have to say though, I have no favorites here as both systems are UGLY!!!!!!!!

Mav
Old 01-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #38
Eric-MPD1.com

Drives: Cool parts for cool cars
Not a fan of black plastic. The CAI IS QUALITY!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #39
darenf02

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP LS7 swapped
The biggest problem I see is the "customer" drove in to your shop, engine at full operating temp THEN did the dyno. I'm sure you guys stood around for a few minutes, engine off, reading and analyzing the dyno numbers. After you spent 30 more minutes removing and installing your intake, probably while the car was STILL sitting on the dyno, THEN, with a much colder engine, made 3 pulls on the dyno.....hardly unbiased in my opinion. It seems someone is bitter about the performance numbers on an independent test to me.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news folks, but look at the basic principles of what we are accomplishing with a CAI. Nearly all of these systems are virtually identical in basic design (except for the direct flow Vararam and the New Era) so LOGIC will tell you there simply CAN NOT be a 10rwhp difference in the LMR and the CAI. No way. Not on this planet. After spending several years doing precise, scientific experiments in a lab as a student at a private university, I can assure you that fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants "experiments" without controls, strict parameters, and exact measurements of secondary factors WILL cause unreliable results that can be exponentially and simply Wrong--sometimes intentionally.

Other notes:
1. Your (LMR) tube simply slips through the hole in the air box (it appears from your pictures anyway), leaving a small air gap to suck in hot engine air. Amount? Probably not much. Affect? Probably not much.
2. CAI's air filter/tube is sealed with a rubber "gasket," cutting off hot engine air. Affect vs LMR? Probably not much...BUT attention to detail is the key here.
3. CAI's sealed box comes with insulation applied to the inside of the box to insulate the air from engine temperatures. Affect? Probably not too much...BUT again the point here is attention to detail.

My take is this: CAI's CAI is built with much greater thought, higher attention to detail, better quality materials, and simply Looks better. I'm sorry, but the LMR looks cheap and/or basically the same as all the others. For basically the same price, I'll take the Cold Air Induction's CAI, which, in fact, I did. Sorry. I suggest LMR take a look at all the other CAI's that look JUST LIKE IT as part of the reason it's sales have fallen, NOT the test done by Jannetty Racing. I hate to say this, but this thread you posted makes you look desperate and a bit juvenile. I expected MUCH more from a reputable company. I would delete the original post if I were you.....it's embarrassing.
LS7 swap stage 3 cam, MSD intake, NW 103 TB, LME heads, JBA ceramic coated LT's 1 7/8" Flowmaster 3" w/high flow cats & X pipe, MPD Motorsports cowl induction hood, CAI, ZL1 front clip, Jet Mass-Air Sensor, rear valence, Stealth bulbs, 20% tint, taillight blackouts, side marker blackouts, modern SS emblem back, 427 rear emblem, S.S. rear spoiler, MGW shifter, black ZL1 replica wheels (wider), 160* thermostat, front firing 2x12" Rockford Fosgate subs, NA 619rwhp on Mustang Dyno
Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 PM   #40
Rafsanjani
What now Bitches?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
It's fun to get to the facts, whatever they may be!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
DarricSS

Drives: '10 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMav View Post
Sitting back and gonna enjoy this one.

I have to say though, I have no favorites here as both systems are UGLY!!!!!!!!

Mav
I agree, looks are a big part of the purchase when dealing with such small HP gains...Just my opinion but the LMR looks like a baby elephant trunk to me...

Does not look aesthetically pleasing to me…but to each his own.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #42
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I will never buy a car part based on what someone else tested.

I suggest the same to everyone. Do your own research.

Closed Thread