Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #29
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
Did some quick research and it looks like if you use launch control on a GT-R it voids the warranty so they make it diffucult to engage so that it can not be accidently engaged.
You beat me to it but I was going to say that I hope it won't void my warrantyhttp://forums.gtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=1263

WooHoo go Manual! But I still gotfor the autos, in the 4's is still pretty extreme.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #30
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRigMike View Post
Launch controll is mentioned and i am wondering what it takes to set. I have seen some videos of different cars where to it takes a few seconds to set due to the number of switches that are involved.

My question is will you be able to use launch control at the dragstrip or will the light be green while you are flipping switches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
As far as I can tell, launch control is at least similar to the following.

You set the Launch Control (with a simple button push) at a certain RPM, whichever RPM you think provides the best grip and launch without spinning. The computer remembers this RPM for any time the Launch Control button is pushed again. That way, all you have to do is hammer the gas and drop the clutch and the computer will control your launch at the pre-set RPM, so you launch at the same engine speed every time.
^ That's what I was going to say. The 2008 Cobalt SS Turbocharged has launch control and competition mode as well. It's as simple as selecting it on your DIC, and then pushing the reset button for maybe 1-3 seconds. It's not that complicated at all really.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
^This isn't horse shoes or hand grenades... First across the line is still first across the line....

You guys better get used to it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by karr1008 View Post
Wow, 4.6 on the 0-60 mph on the manual with launch control. Impressive!
I wonder what it would do after I install a magnacharger, headers and a less restrictive exhaust...low 4's I hope.
You better get some sticky tires - then you better watch that rear end. I know that they've run 650 through the tire, but I could run 650 on my 10-bolt and it'll probably live for a bit - until I throw my Mickey's on there... I hope I'm wrong though

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkwpc View Post
Of course that would be nice. But I think it will come that close to a corvette. I think IMO

MT - 12.9-13.0 (Average driver)
AT - 13.0-13.1 (Average driver)

It does have lots of fat in the new camaro after all.
I'll eat my words, happily, if I'm wrong and these times are pointing them that way. These are awesome numbers either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
Yea I am in your camp on this one. The LS3 vettes are running like 12.3-12.5 with normal drivers. Given a better Drag Coef and its much lighter I would say 12.8 will be about normal for the new camaro. I am thinking 13.1-13.2 for the auto. Reason being that if it is already 2-3 tenths faster by 60 it will not be able to catch the MT since it is lighter with more power and the auto is geared for its most aggresive power 0-60 I think so it will lose more up top to the MT.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:54 PM   #32
ralniv

Drives: far too much
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i tried to capture it with the capital letters
That's the problem. You should have used italics.
ralniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #33
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96CAMaro View Post
Hoping for better than that. I'm looking for something around these times.

MT - 12.6-12.7 (Average driver)
AT - 12.7-12.9 (Average driver)
Keep dreaming. The car may make good power, but remember, put a driver in the car and you're already at 4100 lbs. Combine that with the fact that most people aren't gonna be able to hook up, expect a lot of low 13s. Most people don't know how to launch a car well. I could see mid 12s with drag radials, headers, and a tune, but definitely not showroom stock on freaking 20's.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #34
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
I am not so sure about that. There is a guy on the Vette forum that ran an 11.89 showroom stock LS3 on run flat crap tires. So if that is possible I believe there will be some really good drivers out there that will trip 12.6 showroom stock in this camaro it will just be really rare.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:31 PM   #35
Wm Holden
Yes, that's my real name.

Drives: 2005 LS2 600hp GTO
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by karr1008 View Post
Wow, 4.6 on the 0-60 mph on the manual with launch control. Impressive!
I wonder what it would do after I install a magnacharger, headers and a less restrictive exhaust...low 4's I hope.
alot more rubber required.....

When you get a super the launch control will be "edited" out....I'm 99% sure of this...

so your 4.6 will turn into 5.5 as you spin your way through first and second...

It's what happens when you hit over 400 hp....and 600 is just sick.

This is personal experience speaking.

PS. I don't think we will see a stock camAro doing 12s...driven by anyone...anywhere...even ATCO...
Magnuson 112HH supercharger at 7.5 psi (Virtual 9.0 liter) 600hp 1 of 2 torrid/red int /A4/05 555r 275/40/R17's Nitto Extreme Drags 1.7 60 ft Car runs high 11's No other mods. I got the first 112HH Magnuson blower ported for a GTO. Now it appears it was also one of the last....

http://www.ribbonprinting.com http://www.personalizedawarenessribbons.com
Wm Holden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #36
Mblock66

Drives: 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
How can you say that? The LS1 camaro people were pulling 12.9's in and that was with 345 hp. This car has 422 which will dyno around 390 to the wheels. Yes it has about 400 lbs on the LS1 2003 model and it is IRS now but if vettes can pull 11.89 showroom stock on the LS3 I reallllllly doubt this car will be 1.1 seconds slower just b/c of weight.
Mblock66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #37
Dan

Drives: 2004 GTO
Seems like you are all getting excited for nothing. Autos will beat a manual most of the time unless the driver of the manual is really good.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #38
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Here is a quote from a discussion someone had with a person that ACTUALLY has tested the new camaro. I knew this was going to be the case all along. People had the times backwards as I thought. 4.6 for MT 4.9 for AT
The best news I have heard in a long time, thanks a million dude.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #39
smokn'

Drives: Banana boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
^This isn't horse shoes or hand grenades... First across the line is still first across the line....

You guys better get used to it....

amen! lol, this is the best news i've heard yet!!! i love when sad news turns into good news.
smokn' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:05 PM   #40
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
alot more rubber required.....

When you get a super the launch control will be "edited" out....I'm 99% sure of this...

so your 4.6 will turn into 5.5 as you spin your way through first and second...

It's what happens when you hit over 400 hp....and 600 is just sick.

This is personal experience speaking.

PS. I don't think we will see a stock camAro doing 12s...driven by anyone...anywhere...even ATCO...
Dun dun dun......sounds like a bet to me.......
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #41
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Quote:
No idea, but I am glad this is finally resolved. It was amazing how many people jumped on the AT is faster bandwagon with information that had absolutely no merit. And it spread like WILDFIRE.

I knew all along that this wasn't going to be the case when they actually start to test it. With more HP and TQ, less weight, and launch control the MT can't possibly be slower (with a good driver) But no one listened to reason, I am just glad there is a solid test out there and from the sound of it they may be able to squeeze out another tenth or two when they fix the brake issue

MT looks like it will be a high 12's car. AT will be a low 13's car
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:17 PM   #42
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
If you say so! Prepare to be very suprised.

EDIT:
"...imo"