Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-29-2009, 11:28 AM   #1
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
You have GOT to be kidding me...

Aston Martin Cygnet revealed

MORE IMAGES AT AutoCar Gallery

Aston Martin has struck a ground-breaking deal with Toyota to launch a £20,000 version of the Japanese-built iQ commuter car, badged Aston Martin Cygnet and built at Aston’s Gaydon works in Warwickshire.

The new model, officially billed as a concept, is expected to be offered for sale before the end of next year. It will initially be sold only to existing Aston Martin owners and those with cars on order, but after an introductory period it will then go on general sale.

It will instantly become the world’s smallest super-luxury saloon and represents Aston’s most radical model departure in its 90-year history.

According to Aston CEO, Dr Ulrich Bez, the car is specifically aimed at the one-third of existing Aston owners who own a Mini-sized car. “This concept is akin to an exclusive tender for a luxury yacht,” Bez explains. “It allows us to apply Aston Martin design language, craftsmanship and brand values to a completely new segment of the market.”

The ground-breaking project, which has been under discussion for several months, began when Bez met Toyota’s Akio Toyoda, the newly appointed president of Toyota Motor Co and grandson of its founder, while the pair were racing at the Nurburgring 24-hour.

The Cygnet uses standard Toyota iQ mechanical components and proportions, but with different wheels and tyres. It is believed that both the iQ’s punchier 1.3 litre four-cylinder engine is the most likely be offered.

The Cygnet’s new exterior, which at the front combines an all-new Aston grille with standard iQ lights to impressive effect, has been devised entirely by Aston’s Gaydon design group, led by Marek Reichman.

The luxurious, all-hide interior, also designed by Aston, uses the existing cabin’s instrument pack and archiecture, but new colours and trim materials give it a new look, much more luxurious than the standard iQ’s.

The Aston Cygnet will be built in Gaydon, using iQs built in Japan and specially imported to the UK for the purpose. The Gaydon factory has a flexible layout that would allow a Cygnet finishing line to be installed without disruption to present Aston models.

Aston Martin expects to build between 1000 and 2000 cars a year, with earliest cars earmarked for sale in the UK and Europe where the iQ has won a five-star NCAP safety rating. Cars will be sold exclusively through Aston dealers.

Aston insiders concede that adding the car to its range will have benefits for the company's average carbon dioxide emissions, but stress that this isn't the motivation for building the Cygnet.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
My extremely eloquent and well thought out post in response to the original thread at GMI...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
This is a joke, right?

Picard facepalm is at DEFCON 1!

As well as English ORLY owl...

Gotta throw a lolcat in there somewhere...

And to top it all off...

Downgrade, Aston Martin. Downgrade.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
What the
Old 06-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
big_dog
Future Z28 Owner.

Drives: Future Camaro Owner
Why would they do something like that? At least there is louvers on the hood.

big_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
moto-camaro
CEO of the Internet

Drives: the Roflcopter
Send a message via AIM to moto-camaro Send a message via MSN to moto-camaro
this also applies:
this is the end of the world, aston martin building those thengermajiggers. make the interior as nice as you want, but it still "one of those"

moto-camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently

I have now lost all respect for Aston Martin. It's amazing, despite making a car that is the complete opposite of everything they have built to date, they still managed to make it look exactly the same as any other AM product.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:16 PM   #7
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
It makes sense
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:10 PM   #8
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
First Porshe, then Aston Martin.

Ferrari.. please PLEASE don't try it. But then again we'll always have Lambo..right?

Right? Guise?
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #9
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabo View Post
First Porshe, then Aston Martin.

Ferrari.. please PLEASE don't try it. But then again we'll always have Lambo..right?

Right? Guise?
at least porsche makes legitimate cars with the cayenne and the panamara.......this is just.....horrible
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:24 PM   #10
FrozenCaveman
Just a caveman

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Daniel Craig will drive the iQ in the next James Bond flick.
Old 06-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #11
nUcLeArEnVoY
Oldbie that nobody knows

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS M6
Send a message via AIM to nUcLeArEnVoY
Up Next, the Rolls Royce Casper! Luxury for a price you can afford and unmistakable Rolls Royce regal styling... except cuter!
nUcLeArEnVoY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
It would be funny to tell a girl you drive an Aston Martin and then show up in that egg on the first date.

I'm not sure what's worse: Hyundai trying to sell a $60,000 sedan or this ridiculousness?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #13
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro_corvette View Post
What the
That's about the same face I made when I saw this on Edmunds this morning. You'd think Aston could afford to add the CAFE fine onto the car's price. It's not like their customers are on a budget. Higher costs would be far less damaging than the brand image suicide this creates. On the plus side, my wife and I have been debating whether to get an Aston or an R8 (she wants the Aston) if we somehow find ourselves with an extra $100K+. Looks like I just won the argument.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Time to get out the smileys.....

:bangdesk:

patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote