Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
hahahahahahaha

But the brakes were low noise and low dust
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #16
SLEEPER SS
Banned

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
On mine they would usually squeal when soft braking on hard braking they were quiet I bought some hawk hps pads better braking and almost zero squeal and a lot less dust I would highly recommend
I hope that's the case. Have some brand new hawk HPS pads ima install now with my new rotors hope they don't squeal
SLEEPER SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast6.3 View Post
On mine they would usually squeal when soft braking on hard braking they were quiet I bought some hawk hps pads better braking and almost zero squeal and a lot less dust I would highly recommend
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLEEPER SS View Post
I hope that's the case. Have some brand new hawk HPS pads ima install now with my new rotors hope they don't squeal
Guys,

Better braking with less dust and less noise is a fairy tale. Brakes work by friction. The more friction they create, the more dust they create. You bought a performance automobile with the best combination street / track pads available. There are only two ways you can go from there. Less noise, less dust, less braking pads or more noise, more dust, improved braking.

Brakes are a ZERO SUM equation.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #18
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Guys,

Better braking with less dust and less noise is a fairy tale. Brakes work by friction. The more friction they create, the more dust they create. You bought a performance automobile with the best combination street / track pads available. There are only two ways you can go from there. Less noise, less dust, less braking pads or more noise, more dust, improved braking.

Brakes are a ZERO SUM equation.
Really blow their minds and tell them how a significant portion of the dust is the rotor
Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
Really blow their minds and tell them how a significant portion of the dust is the rotor
Old 10-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #20
VcrusaderV

Drives: 2018 ZL-1
There was a service bulletin regarding this issue in 2011. I had the same problem and the dealership installed roller skates at no charge. They never squeaked again.

2010 2SS Camaro (sold)
2010 ZL 427 Camaro (sold)
2012 ZL-1 Camaro (sold)
2018 ZL-1 Camaro
VcrusaderV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
You want racing brakes on the street then you need to put up with a little squeal.

You could always trade a V6 for theirs plus cash

I love it when someone says I need a brake job,I just grin.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
These Brembos are the most squeakiest brakes ever!!..Had the dealer look at them and they stated that nothing is wrong with them. Its the nature of the beast on all Brembo brakes. They called it glazing and suggested that I let them resurface the rotors for $180 a piece!!!.. Then the service tech told me that I can go to an empty parking lot, drive fast in reverse and slam on the brakes and repeat 3 times and that will fix it...
$180 a piece for resurfacing?? WOW! You can get new rotors for less than that and would likely be a better option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Pete, stopping is highly overrated....I want quiet....LOL

Contact Tyler at JDP Motorsports and get some Hawk Ceramic brake pads...they will work just like the 350Z when you get them really hot, but they are definitely quieter...
Thanks for the recommendation!
Stock pads are great all around pads, but they are a bit too dusty and noisy for many Camaro owners. I think Pete sometimes overlooks the fact that some SS's will never see the track or conditions where that kind of braking is needed. Ceramic pads are good for street use or a show car, but I still prefer the HPS pads for street/somewhat aggressive driving.

Feel free to shoot me a PM or give me a call and we'll get ya setup.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
JusticePete

The Camaro5 forum is an important source of information to 5th Gen Camaro owners. They deserve the best possible information. In our current PC world we find the engineers at Nissan telling a magazine after an accident the brake pads on a performance model were specified to be low dust and low noise because it will appeal to the customer, when they should be telling the customers this is a performance car. The brakes are dirty and loud. Deal with it. Our dust less, squeal less , function less pads are on the Leaf.

I don't believe it is prudent to install any part on a car that lowers the functional capabilities it had when it left the factory. Squeal less, dust less brake pads fall into the category of function less. Read through the threads about brake squeal. You'll find post after post after post that my new dust less, squeal less brake pads stop better. They don't.
Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
In some countries, I've heard that car owners prefer having squeaky brakes so they know they are working

Also, even the most high-end cars will have squeaky brakes, it's part of the game!

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
WEN_D's SS
2011 Camaro SS2 Topless

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS2 Convertible
I am having the same issue. I've had my 2011 SS convertible to the dealership three times for the brakes and they also tell me that there isn't anything wrong, but they could resurface the rotors for $180 each. It's so embarrassing pulling up to a traffic light or going into the gate on post where I work and hearing the squealing! For such an expensive vehicle, this issue should not be an issue.
WEN_D's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEN_D's SS View Post
I am having the same issue. I've had my 2011 SS convertible to the dealership three times for the brakes and they also tell me that there isn't anything wrong, but they could resurface the rotors for $180 each. It's so embarrassing pulling up to a traffic light or going into the gate on post where I work and hearing the squealing! For such an expensive vehicle, this issue should not be an issue.
It isn't an issue. It is good brakes.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:55 PM   #27
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
JusticePete is correct about performance brakes squealing, but you can mitigate the noise greatly if you'll follow these steps:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=189890&page=1
Old 10-09-2013, 11:09 PM   #28
Bsanf21
Love me some Camaro's!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
No Squeak here till i needed new pads. replaced and no squeak
Bsanf21 is offline   Reply With Quote