Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
chevymuscle311

Drives: 2SS/RS- IOM w/ CG Rallies
Best Exhaust Option For L99???

Ok I tried doing a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for. My L99 should be here in the next couple months and I want to have a plan for her as far as exhaust goes. She is pathetic stock so that needs to be handled ASAP. I had a maganflow muffler on my 98 Z but it was still too tame so I added a cut-out. I loved the sound with the cut-out open. I hear all these words thrown around like drone and resonance, not extirely sure what they mean but I am sure with my cut-out I had plenty LOL. So I guess what I am saying is that doesn't bother me. The only things that concern me are price and AFM. I dont want to pay $1500 to make her sound like she should so I guess axle back would be my best bet. What is going to make my car sound the meanest with out having to worry about the AFM driving me nuts or making it sound like a ricer??????
chevymuscle311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #2
2010 CAMARO SS RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymuscle311 View Post
Ok I tried doing a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for. My L99 should be here in the next couple months and I want to have a plan for her as far as exhaust goes. She is pathetic stock so that needs to be handled ASAP. I had a maganflow muffler on my 98 Z but it was still too tame so I added a cut-out. I loved the sound with the cut-out open. I hear all these words thrown around like drone and resonance, not extirely sure what they mean but I am sure with my cut-out I had plenty LOL. So I guess what I am saying is that doesn't bother me. The only things that concern me are price and AFM. I dont want to pay $1500 to make her sound like she should so I guess axle back would be my best bet. What is going to make my car sound the meanest with out having to worry about the AFM driving me nuts or making it sound like a ricer??????
slp loudmouth 1. they sound deep, loud and under $500
2010 CAMARO SS RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
chevymuscle311

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 CAMARO SS RS View Post
slp loudmouth 1. they sound deep, loud and under $500
I have been hearing people say not to put that on the L99 because the AFM is very noticeable
Old 07-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
FNKNSTN
Banned

Drives: A Black Car
I like the SLP Loudmouth II. They cost a little more than the Loudmouth I, but still within the $500-$600 range.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30431

Guess what. No matter what exhaust modification you put on your L99, you're going to hear a big difference between a pedal-to-the-metal take-off and cruising at 75mph on the freeway in V4 mode.

Listen to the videos on the page I linked and have a listen to the SLP Loudmouth II. It has a bit more of a refined sound compared to the Loudmouth I.
FNKNSTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
FNKNSTN
Banned

Quote:
I hear all these words thrown around like drone and resonance, not extirely sure what they mean.............I dont want to pay $1500 to make her sound like she should so I guess axle back would be my best bet. What is going to make my car sound the meanest with out having to worry about the AFM driving me nuts or making it sound like a ricer??????
Drone = A low frequency constant "humming" or "ooohhhhhmmmmmmmmmmm" that you hear at idle.

Resonance = How strong and how much volume your exhaust produces. Interior resonance being how much you hear your exhaust from inside the car.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Corsa is the only Exhaust company that has specially designed there Exhaust for AFM and Drone....

I have there catback exhaust system on a L99 and it sounds great......
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post
Corsa is the only Exhaust company that has specially designed there Exhaust for AFM and Drone....

vids?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #8
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
vids?
I posted a video of my car with kooks headers and the Corsa exhaust....

It's on here somewhere.........
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #9
Luny

Drives: Future Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
vids?
best system for L99 = Corsa

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ighlight=corsa
Luny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #10
FNKNSTN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ2010 View Post

I'm thinking that Corsa exhaust is gonna cost a bit more than he's looking to spend.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
chevymuscle311

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNKNSTN View Post

Guess what. No matter what exhaust modification you put on your L99, you're going to hear a big difference between a pedal-to-the-metal take-off and cruising at 75mph on the freeway in V4 mode.
Of course even in the LS3 a pedal to the metal take off is going to be much different than highway cruising. I just don't want it to sound like crap/a ricer in V4 mode. I can deal with a subtle difference. I was leaning towards the SLP LM2 so I guess I will stick with that.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #12
Jekyll-N-Hyde
I put the FU back in FUN

Drives: 1969 SS 396 , 2010 Camaro SS
Yall are so stuck on when the cylinder deactivates its going to sound like a RICER "BS" Gm has done there work keeping this car at a certain sound.

If its a V8 it will sound deep. maybe just not as deep at times. the cylinder deactivation is only on when you are basically off the throttle.
maybe on the Highway it comes on but once you hit the throttle it turns off.
Jekyll-N-Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
third1
speed freak

Drives: 2015i Cadillac Escalade,10 IOM 2ss
My tahoe changes a little but it sure doesn't sound like rice it actually sounds a bit deeper from inside.I am running a Gibbson cat back with dual outlets.
Current:2015i Cadilac Escalade,2016 Lexus RC350,2011 CVO StreetGlide cammed,tuned & loud. 2010 IMO/IO,custom stripes,GFX,sunrf,solo exhaust,JBA shorties,rotofab,Jannetty tune,Pfadt,JLw6 Audison&Hertz,7/4/09 2GIFKIEJ6A9123779Del 7/10/09
Former Camaros 72 LT1 Z28, 86 z28
[SIGPIC]
third1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
FNKNSTN
Banned

Quote:
Of course even in the LS3 a pedal to the metal take off is going to be much different than highway cruising. I just don't want it to sound like crap/a ricer in V4 mode. I can deal with a subtle difference. I was leaning towards the SLP LM2 so I guess I will stick with that.
I don't know why you would think it might sound like a buzzy little Japanese car. The only difference is that it gets a little more quiet when it switches to V4 mode... it sounds just like V8 mode, only not as loud. That's a pro - you'll only hear a quiet rumble when you're cruising on the highway. But once you step on it to accellerate, or when you come to a stop and idle - it switches back to V8 mode and the exhaust has more presence.