Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
FB3

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS LS3, BRM, NPP
Solo Mach X Catback Installed Today

Just got back from installing a Solo Mach X cat back exhaust on my 2SS LS3. In my opinion the stock exhaust sound was pretty good. Much louder than my stock GXP exhaust. The Solo system has straight pipes from the X pipe box to the tips so I was afraid it would be really loud. Not so.

Fortunately I had good help from friends and we did it on a lift. The installation was very easy. Everything fit very well. It was easy to align the tips right in the center of the rear difuser holes.

The sound is great. When I started it up I just smiled. Very nice deep V8 rumble of yesteryear. One of my friends remarked that it reminded him of the 454's.

When driving it is a little loud inside around 1800 - 2000 rpm in traffic in second and third gear, but not too bad. At highway speeds, inside sound is almost like stock.

Outside sound is just perfect for me. Good deep sound. Definitely not close to stock, but then again not super loud - just good sound.

It does have a nice (to me) popping during decelleration that seems to be a characteristic of X pipe systems. Not excessive, but it is there.

So, I can say that I am very happy with this system and can recommend it to anyone wanting a real good retro V8 hot rod sound that is not too loud and raspy, just nice deep V8 rumble.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
3GPa

Drives: SOLD/2SS/RS Painted Rally Stripes
Ditto.
I Love Mine!
3GPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Nice review!

The decel burble is sweet and attracts some attention, but I hear it on all Camaro's, to different extents. I too love the SOLO tone and volume, it is just right and does not sound like it is coming through a tin can. I am not one for the raspy sound. The SOLO it a tight deep sound.

How about the difference in power and throttle response? I found mine to be a noticeable improvement.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #4
camarohead

Drives: 2010 ss rs ls3 red-white rallys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Nice review!

The decel burble is sweet and attracts some attention, but I hear it on all Camaro's, to different extents. I too love the SOLO tone and volume, it is just right and does not sound like it is coming through a tin can. I am not one for the raspy sound. The SOLO it a tight deep sound.

How about the difference in power and throttle response? I found mine to be a noticeable improvement.
Well I do love the fit, finish and sound of the Mach x. It's perfect, but feel like I have lost some torque due to the lack of mufflers(backpreassure). But I'm fine with it now. When warrantys gone, Modd city.
camarohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Drone?

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohead View Post
Well I do love the fit, finish and sound of the Mach x. It's perfect, but feel like I have lost some torque due to the lack of mufflers(backpreassure). But I'm fine with it now. When warrantys gone, Modd city.
I have not lost any Torque, but would say a slight increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
Drone?

-Funk
It does not drone at all. If you are in sixth gear at 2000 RPM's it gets very deep, but not a drone. Sound is more under you instead of in your head.

The Camaro at 2000 is under a heavy load, I generally try and keep the car around 2500.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
Jarhead
Semper Fi Camaro

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Aqua Blue LS3 Gauge PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
I have not lost any Torque, but would say a slight increase.

It does not drone at all. If you are in sixth gear at 2000 RPM's it gets very deep, but not a drone. Sound is more under you instead of in your head.

The Camaro at 2000 is under a heavy load, I generally try and keep the car around 2500.
2000, Holy $h!T, thats like 80 mph on mine. Where are you driving at 2500 rpm???

That is assuming you are in 6th gear.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
2000, Holy $h!T, thats like 80 mph on mine. Where are you driving at 2500 rpm???

That is assuming you are in 6th gear.
Nope, 5th gear on Highway, unless it is a very long trip, then I bit the bullet and save the gas!