Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #15
Redrocker1958
Obsessive camaro disorder

Drives: **2010 2ss/rs**
Did mine in 3 hours..a helper to hold up in place..no steering shaft to deal with ..real ez..just about anyone who know the do slightest bit about mechanics can do it 1st attempt.
Stainless engineering hesders $340 to the door included dummy cats..gaskets..o2 ext wires
Fit perfect..still perfect fit a year later..
If you decide to tackle it and need any e-help gimme a shout

Last edited by Redrocker1958; 11-06-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Redrocker1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCPLPunk View Post
Holy crap, an hour??? Do you have power tools?
I've had to mess with mine more than once and can confirm this. The only PITA is the dipstick
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:46 PM   #17
carbro

Drives: 2014 2SS something or other
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010reddevil View Post
YES!! This is easier to put on headers than a Silverado. Is by far the easiest car I've ever put headers on. 5hrs tops taking your sweet time. Just the dipstick tube and pulling the steering shaft apart is the only real hassle. Everything is unbolt and replace though.
What headers required you to pull the steering shaft apart? I'm real busy lately and hoping to avoid that.
carbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:02 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbro View Post
What headers required you to pull the steering shaft apart? I'm real busy lately and hoping to avoid that.
The top of the line American Racing Headers do... but it's not that big of a deal.
Old 11-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #19
15rs/ss

Drives: 2015 Yellow 2SS LT Z28 cai tune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdonkey23 View Post
It took me about an hour from start to finish to put mine in. Granted I've been an aircraft mechanic for a while, but even the siimplest of mechanics can do this job. As long as you know righty tighty lefty loosy you'll do just fine. Most headers will clear the steering shaft just fine and you won't even have to mess with that.
15rs/ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:06 PM   #20
LCPLPunk
USA-1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99
I didn't think the dipstick was really that hard at all...

The worst part for me was stripping threads on one of the spark plug holes... :P

R2C CAI / Apex Scoop / VMAX Ported TB / Speed Engineering LTHs / X-pipe / GPI port/rod-mod intake manifold / Circle D 3200 278mm Converter / 3.91 gears / DynoSteve tuned / 1LE Shocks/Struts/Toe Links / ZL1 Rear Sway Bar / Z/28 Trailing arms / Prothane Radius Arm & Subframe Bushings / BMR UCA Bracket, Steering rack bushing / B&M Tranny Cooler / RX Catch Can / Jannetty Tranny Dipstick / 2012+ Heater Hose / 2013+ Rearview Mirror / Fuel rail flip / Drake shifter / Oil Cooler Delete
LCPLPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 07:28 PM   #21
Motarded421

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I didn't even bother to remove my spark plugs when I did mine.
Steering shaft was a PITA.. When I was compressing it I pulled the boot back up the shaft and it took forever to get it back in place. That was by far the hardest part of the whole thing.
Motarded421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 PM   #22
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
The dipstick is very easy. You just put it all the way through from the top. Then go under the car and feel were the dipstick hole is and grab the dipstick and stick it in.
Old 11-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #23
8balldeluxe

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Victory Red
Took half a day here, included getting the car in the air, stubborn O2s, and frequent beer breaks.
Speed Engineering Headers w/ Texas Speed HFC's ~ Flowmaster 2 1/2" cat back w/Flowmaster Super 10's ~ Cold Air Inductions Intake w/ Scoop and WW relocate ~ VMAX CNC Spiral PTB ~ Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/Hawk pads ~ ZL1 Spoiler ~ SCTX4 RDP Tuned
8balldeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #24
985ss

Drives: 2011 SS
Took me about 4 and a half hours to do, much easier than the header install I've done on other vehicles.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:51 PM   #25
alexforbes.ems@icloud.com

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss
Header and tune install

I just got speed engineering headers installed on my 2015 ss and cat delete and x pipe welded in with a full performance tune for 900$ In Buford ga does that sound reasonable I’ve just started doing stuff to my car and want to know this shop seems solid but I’m not a mechanic either is this ballpark or just outrageous.
alexforbes.ems@icloud.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #26
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexforbes.ems@icloud.com View Post
I just got speed engineering headers installed on my 2015 ss and cat delete and x pipe welded in with a full performance tune for 900$ In Buford ga does that sound reasonable I’ve just started doing stuff to my car and want to know this shop seems solid but I’m not a mechanic either is this ballpark or just outrageous.
Welcome to the forums! $900 for header install and tune could be about right. Tunes usually run around $500 and everyone on this thread says $400 for header install. Personally I would recommend checking out the DIY section here and doing some of the work yourself if you can. You'll save a bunch of money in the long run.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:36 PM   #27
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Welcome to the forums! $900 for header install and tune could be about right. Tunes usually run around $500 and everyone on this thread says $400 for header install. Personally I would recommend checking out the DIY section here and doing some of the work yourself if you can. You'll save a bunch of money in the long run.
This.... With the tune and the install you made out ok.... Some might bundle it, as this might be what they did depending on the tune cost at that shop....

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 PM   #28
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
The dipstick is very easy. You just put it all the way through from the top. Then go under the car and feel were the dipstick hole is and grab the dipstick and stick it in.

That's usually how it works, just feel around until you find the hole and stick it in.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote