Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #29
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by trakdayz View Post
Great post here. I was actually considering changing spring rates for specific track use but cant change them. Then coilovers would be the next option. The 1LE with Penske's would be an epic change for the hardcore track guys.
Im currently running MCS 2 ways on my track specific E92 M3 and its night a day of a difference with swapping out springs, dampening adjustments, rebound getting all the right adjustments in for Tire, Aero, style of driving, Specific track etc....really can go on and on.
Long story short, the 1LE is such a great deal of a car, hopefully a quality suspension company will release something like KW's, MCS, JRZ etc. But if $$ isn't an option ANZE out in Long Island NY will surely build a custom setup using PENKSE components for sureeeee.
So....if you are just a 2x a year so-called track rat...enjoy the car as is
Just wondering - how many track days have you done with a 1LE?
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #30
Apexslayer

Drives: Zl1 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Aren't these spool valve shocks the bee knees and pretty much any aftermarket would be a downgrade?
I've been shaking my head on this whole string of comments. The 1LE comes with one of the best suspensions at any price, yet we are pulling our hair out trying to customise and "improve" it. As you say - any changes on the market are a downgrade!
Apexslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #31
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post
Anybody replace the stock springs with something like Eibach?

I am thinking it will help soften the ride just a little more. Yes, I understand the ZLE is Track first / Street second however these cars need to also work on the street for it to make sense.
If you're asking this question, I beg you not to buy the ZL1 1LE.
Just buy a regular ZL1 and upgrade it to your liking.

Having said that, I have a ZL1 1LE and I love every bump. It really does get a lot better after a few weeks. I daily commute in mine and honestly there's only 1 bump that I notice, everything else just feels "normal".

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:51 PM   #32
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apexslayer View Post
I've been shaking my head on this whole string of comments. The 1LE comes with one of the best suspensions at any price, yet we are pulling our hair out trying to customise and "improve" it. As you say - any changes on the market are a downgrade!
I couldn't agree more!

I think too many people buy this car "because its the top model".

This car is big and heavy, it takes every F-ING trick in the book to make it handle as well as it does (better than a C7 Z06 w/ Z07). The cost for that is comfort. If you want a comfortable car, get the ZL1 or a Z06.

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #33
hjdca

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black
Quote:

I am thinking it will help soften the ride just a little more. Yes, I understand the ZLE is Track first / Street second however these cars need to also work on the street for it to make sense.
Regarding my experience with the Z/28 and DSSV -- If you change to street tires like MPS4S, the ride will be much, much smoother and no tram lining. The square, hard track tires give you much more of a harsher ride than the suspension does. Really, it will be a completely different car on the street. Huge difference... I really think you are making a mistake to take out the DSSV without trying street tires first. The suspension never bottoms out, and with street tires, the suspension is great on the street.

Last edited by hjdca; 02-22-2019 at 09:44 AM.
hjdca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #34
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Just to be clear to the panel here - I have no intention of 'removing the DSSV shocks'. This was merely an effort to see if there were 'softer spring' options to help the ride.

Having done lots of track days - I know DSSV's work from the other drivers.

This was merely an exercise of getting a slightly more compliant ride on the street.

For the record - I have no intention of lowering the car. It is dialed in perfectly from the factory.
Checkmate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #35
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Wow. What happened in this thread? Things have deteriorated in here. I thought I was in the Corvette forum.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #36
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Just to be clear to the panel here - I have no intention of 'removing the DSSV shocks'. This was merely an effort to see if there were 'softer spring' options to help the ride.

Having done lots of track days - I know DSSV's work from the other drivers.

This was merely an exercise of getting a slightly more compliant ride on the street.

For the record - I have no intention of lowering the car. It is dialed in perfectly from the factory.
I’m surprised nobody realized this was what you really meant already....

So I’m not an expert by any means but I have to say yes you could absolutely change the springs put for some softer ones to make the street comfort level more bearable. With that said I would have to assume that going to a softer spring could have an adverse affect on the track handling, because as we know the shocks/springs are separate but they work together, the dampening of the spool is setup/optimized for track performance with the stock springs.

So in my opinion, can you do it? Absolutely. But if you do it could ruin the on track handling characteristics of the car.

Suspension smart guys please chime in!
Old 02-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #37
590_The_Judge

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE NGM
My concern with putting a softer spring at factory ride height would be to bottom out the shock and damage it over bumps. I imagine you could rig up a beefier stop, but youd probably be hitting it so much that it would be worse than the factory ride quality (which is made out to be far worse than it is). If you bottom out on a bump stop mid turn, you lose any benefit the suspension would give you. I bet that binding could potentially cause a crash.

The tires by far make a huge difference. I have a set of michelin pilot super sports and the factory tires on a spare set of factoryrims for track use. The factory 3r is awesome i the summer, but a tad unforgiving on the street. The mpss are amazing and i dont have to worry a out making sure they are warm in 55 degree weather.
590_The_Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:08 PM   #38
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Everyone in here has stated they read the rules of posting.

I've deleted quite a few posts and issued infractions for the name calling and disrespectful posting.

1) Respect & Be Helpful — By far, the most important rule here. Generations of GM enthusiasts have come together through a shared passion for the car and the community, so the golden rule applies: Treat others as you wish to be treated. This means no foul language, insults, or rude remarks towards other members.

We’re here as a family of enthusiasts, and we should act accordingly. And since the site is constantly gaining new members, please go out of your way to help answer others’ questions in an effort to make this an even better community. Shunning new members’ questions or rudely telling others to “search for it” is extremely discouraged.

2) Agree to disagree — We encourage spirited discussions where members can contribute to the forum, and we understand that not everyone will be in agreement on a particular subject. However, repeated opposing posts with disrespectful intent to ‘win’ a debate will be moderated accordingly.

13) Moderator Discretion — All posting activity on the forums is monitored and subject to disciplinary action based on the discretion of the admins and moderators beyond the rules specifically outlined above in an effort to serve the community at large.

--------

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:24 PM   #39
TOP WHOP

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:

Trade for a ZL1. I'm sure there's a market, I would.
TOP WHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 10:34 PM   #40
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Just because its something, doesn't mean you don't want to change it to something else.

That's whole premise of aftermarket.. to make it your OWN.

If way [insert manufacturer] intended was GOLD.. there about not be multi billion dollar industry making parts for ours and many other cars.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #41
TOP WHOP

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP WHOP View Post
Trade for a ZL1. I'm sure there's a market, I would.
Bump
TOP WHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:34 PM   #42
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
If you change off the 3R's to a more street tire I can see changing the SPRING RATES to match. I understood the OP correctly.
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote