Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-16-2014, 06:19 AM   #239
rsjewel

Drives: 2011 RS/2SS Red Jewel
went to dealer yesterday

well went to dealer yesterday, they look at you like they never heard of this happening before, i checked out their used camaros , 2 out 5 of the cars had the same crack, same spot! hope the customer service can help out?

Last edited by rsjewel; 05-16-2014 at 11:30 AM.
rsjewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:27 AM   #240
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin chicken View Post
I see that GM is still lacking in the INT, and Customer Service for cheap INT., my 2000 WS6 with 34,xxx that sits in the garage has a crack dash, and door panels, O and my 07 Yukon XL also has a cracked dash, and leaks around the SR, upper console, and rear seat belts.
Now Im not saying I hate my cars, Im just saying my next one will not be GM....
I'm putting gm on hold for now...if the 6th gen camaro doesnt impress me, im done with this company from now on.
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #241
Cal's bee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Went to the Dealer 2 weeks ago and they said they will get back to me. Still waiting ....I'm going in on Monday for oil change and will readdress the issue. I just want the Dash....Ill put it in
Cal's bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:13 PM   #242
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Buy a dashcover. It looks better anyway

I went out and checked under my cover to make sure I didn't have the same crack and I don't, but I have always notice a slight indent/crease on the driver side plastic molding that comes up from the dash to the roof.
Everythings under warranty and I was told when I purchased the car that since I have my own shop they would be willing to actually pay me for my labor to work on my car if it was a warranty issue, and they would supply parts. I also noticed I have the gap coming from the gauge bezels to the dash so I'm thinking I'll go down to the dealer have an inspection done and have them give me the plastic side piece as well as the entire dashboard and then never install the dashboard... I'll just keep it as a backup (;
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #243
screamin chicken

Drives: 95 TA 00 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87GNX View Post
I'm putting gm on hold for now...if the 6th gen camaro doesnt impress me, im done with this company from now on.
I feel your pain....
1995 TA A4

1999 EB expediton
1994 Dodge ram 5.9
screamin chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #244
rsjewel

little indent

if its a approx 10" indent (left to right) that's the underscore under the the dash pad where the air bag punches threw, funny been to 2 dealers, neither knew this?

Last edited by rsjewel; 06-13-2014 at 08:53 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #245
rsjewel

little indent

if its a approx. 10" indent (left to right) thats the underscore under the dash pad where the air bag punches threw, funny been to 2 dealers, neither knew this? also several of their used camaros have cracked dashes also!

Last edited by rsjewel; 05-20-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #246
mpiersd

Drives: ABM #2041
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
Man... dash cracking was SUCH a bad issue in the 4th gens. I hope it's not a repeat on ours.

In the future you may want to invest in a windshield visor thingy to protect it
3rd gens too. I had two 84 Trans Ams and they both cracked in almost the same spot after being parked out in the summer sun.
Best thing to do is garage when you can, and if not, get a good sunscreen for when you park it and darkest tint you can.

Bernadette: 2LT/RS, ABM #2041 of 3903
ZL-1 Springs | CAI | Muffler delete | Magnaflow resonator | LED DRL | DRL harness | RX Catch Can | Mini me

Cortana: 2015 Harley Davidson Road Glide Special
V&H Power Duals Headers & Oversized 450 Raider mufflers | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 Chisel Extreme intake | Screamin' Eagle Stage 1 programmer | Klock Werks 12" Pro-Touring windscreen

Own an Aqua Blue Metallic Camaro?
Click here to join us on Facebook and help us in establishing the Aqua Blue Registry to locate all 3903 of these beautiful Camaros!
mpiersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #247
Phantom.5SS
Hell yeah I'm Guilty.....

Drives: 2010 2-SS ABM NON-RS
Add +1

Just noticed mine this morning as I was cleaning the window, found this thread an hour later......thought it was just mine but it seems misery loves company!!
I call BS on this problem, my car is a 2010 with 19,231 on the clock and spends almost all its life in the garage except for a few joy rides and a couple days at work in summer!!!!
I dont think I am going to let the HAM HANDED mechanics at Depaula Chevy in Albany touch the car since they nearly ruined it last time they had it.
reading the Dealer nightmares I think I will either call a vinyl repair shop or use one of the kits to fix it myself.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #248
rsjewel

i thought i was!

i thought i was getting help from GM on the cracked dash issue, but since the recalls for all the ignition problems they claim they are to busy, it's up to the dealer if they will absorb some of the repair costs, so if you try to be forceful they will just ignore you.

also, is there a way to DIY repair?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:02 AM   #249
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
I have this issue as well. But have given up on getting it replaced and honestly figure there would be more rattle problems than it's worth to not have the crack. As well as a high chance of this coming back in a new dash because it seems to be an obvious design flaw on gm part.

Anyway recently I stumbled across new product that I've been using in my car on all the interior trim. Most people will think that it is quite weird but I've been using leather conditioner over all my plastic trim pieces of my dash for the last three years. Specifically this meguiars stuff...
Attachment 628439

This stuff works great for me when it comes to cleaning the interior panels. It is high gloss however. So it hides a lot of marks. It last at least 4 times longer then any armor all product ever has for me. Armor all being what I typically used for my whole life before I accidentally stumbled across putting this stuff on my dash. Happy accident when cleaning leather in my truck.

It actually has great uv protection compared to armor all and like I said lasts much much longer. I wipe the whole car down with a few of these wipes, let everything look greasy for about 5 minutes, like I mean it looks pretty gooped on there and then buff off the extra with a microfibre towel. Not hard, just a quick wipe over all the surfaces with a clean microfibre towel. You must buff everything with the towel or else non textured pieces will not have a smooth finish. The textured dash does not need to be buffed but the finish is nicer if you do. After buffing there is no gross residue or anything. They literally work just like armor all wipes but way way better. My interior has never looked so good after using these wipes! People always ask me what products I use and are shocked when I show them.

I know most will say why am I posting this here. The reason is after I started using these wipes, after about 4 or 5 applications spaced out over a few months. My crack in the dash is very unnoticeable. Compared to how it looked with no polish. They worked so well for me that my father who initially noticed the crack asked if i got it fixed a few months later.

Please be aware these will leave a glossy finish on your interior panels. Do not use them if you want a closer to matte finish.

Just a suggestion if people are trying to make the crack less noticeable. These worked well for me.
Was thinking the same thing - something like armor all! [it's not a fix, but it certainly creates an "out of sight, out of mind" situation]
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #250
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
My '10 SS dash is still Ok with 34,000 miles. If it does ever crack the last thing I would
ever do is let a dealer replace it. I'm sure they would cause even bigger problems
doing a big job like that. Dealers are known for screwing up even small jobs.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #251
Scott Jones

Drives: Black 2010 1LT
My dealer wants $500 to fix the defective dashboard in my 2010. I guess it was foolish to expect the dashboard to last more than 5 years. The dashboard in my 2000 Camaro was still perfect after 9 years. I guess they don't make them like they used to. This was the last GM product I'll ever buy.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #252
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
I just found my 2010 to have a cracked dash by the pass side airbag at 44k miles. Figures out of warranty. Seems like it is a common problem from what I have read

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote