#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #71
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
To you, but its not up to any one of us, and at the time back in 69 when you got a Z/28 price went up X2 or more, nothing changed only how big the number of a new car is, if there is a new Z/28 think it will be $84K+, will they sale a lot of cars, NO, but look at a Z06 there in the $95k and ad a Z07 on top of that and your close to $115, got news for most members prices are not going down on new cars only up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
No, the price of the Z/28 wasn't double or more...you're thinking of the ZL1.

The Z/28 was only around $1,000 more expensive than a base Camaro, and roughly $450 more than a base SS.

The only reason people think the Z/28 has to be what it is is because of what GM hyped the Gen 5 to be.
Wasn't a SS396 more expensive than a Z/28? Either way they were pretty comparable cost wise back then. Also that was back in the day when you could pick any option and the dealer would order it for you.

http://www.oldride.com/library/1969_...et_camaro.html

Yes the Z/28 was the best handling Camaro back in the day, but it wasn't the most expensive. I guess now today with the go fast goodies required to be the best handling makes it the most expensive but I really don't think there is a place for Camaro or Mustang over 70K
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:16 PM   #72
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
It makes more sense to me that the Z/28 will be offered as a performance package. Will it be tagged as a model unto itself, or as an option package similar to Z07 on the Z06? That's a marketing question. Either way, I see this car as taking a direct shot at the GT350R. I see it with no back seat, weight reduction, yet being marketable as a daily driver, in other words something people will buy and drive on the street.

I for one, don't think the last Z/28 was a mistake, or anything to learn a lesson from. I think it served it's true purpose(s). It was a halo car that got everyone talking about the Camaro again. GM new the refresh was going to have it's critics, and they also knew that they had a brand new generation on the horizon. While they didn't sell out the Z/28's they made, they did get people talking about Chevrolet. The Z/28 was more of brand ambassador than a unit to generate profit in and of itself. It got people into dealerships to gawk, and many of them drove off in a new Chevrolet of one type of another. Also don't forget about all of those beautiful LS7's that now found themselves homeless.
If your first statement is true, I am going to want one real bad!!

I agree with you completely on your second point though. GM isn't leading in chassis engineering by a mile for no reason. We are seeing the benefits of lessons learned from doing things like pushing that crappy old platform as far as it could go and basically putting sales concerns second.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #73
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
Looks like the base halogen headlights for the z28 again too. Not exactly like you'll do much night driving in one...but at the pri..nevermind, whatever lol.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 PM   #74
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
No, the price of the Z/28 wasn't double or more...you're thinking of the ZL1.

The Z/28 was only around $1,000 more expensive than a base Camaro, and roughly $450 more than a base SS.

The only reason people think the Z/28 has to be what it is is because of what GM hyped the Gen 5 to be.
GM just took the 5thGen Z/28 back to its 1stGen Z/28 roots which was a track focused car that had some small compromises on the street side of the scale. The original DZ302 and its' gearing was not at home at low rpm's but ran like a scalded dog in the upper rpm range and the ride was not like the RS or SS models. Sounds familiar doesn't it.

The Z/28 was originally homologlated for the Trans Am series for GM to compete in and we all know what that led to don't we. Pure domination by team owner Rodger Penske and driver Mark Donohue with the Z/28 winning multiple championships and establishing the Legend of the Z/28.

GM hype, NO.....Legendary history, YES.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #75
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The 5th gen Z/28 was expensive because the LS7 is expensive, and the parts needed to get the Zeta to move like they wanted were expensive.

The 6th gen seems like a better starting point for a track focused car. They may not need to take it to the same extremes to get the performance they want. Just look at the 1LE, for example.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:16 PM   #76
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
The only mistake Chevy made with the gen5 Z/28 was building too many of them. It was intended to be the real thing. The ZL1 and 1LE were for those wanting creature comfort.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #77
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
That seals it. I need the Z/28 spoiler on my ZL1.

I wonder if they'll let me order it like that... :P
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #78
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
The only mistake Chevy made with the gen5 Z/28 was building too many of them. It was intended to be the real thing. The ZL1 and 1LE were for those wanting creature comfort.
Yea, they should have stopped at the one production year for the car and they would have been fine. They got too greedy there, GM in general can learn brand management from some other companies..... for example Ferrari will build one less then they think they can sell. Typical American car maker thinking is to make as many as you think you can sell flooding the market and driving down resale value.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:13 AM   #79
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Don't think 2000 units a year is to much, but for most a track car is not a Chevy and not the Camaro, only shows how little they know..
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:34 AM   #80
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
I grew up and lived in Tazewell Co for most of my life, it is cool that they chose the back of the dragon. I know that route well.
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #81

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Good grief...I hope every thread about the Z/28 doesn't get derailed by the cheap-charlies who can't afford a 1SS either....

The price will be high...very high. Hopefully there will be a cry-room, poor-boy thread or forum for those who wish to let every one know it's too expensive for them. Maybe then we can have a discussion about the car itself.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #82
JAZ

Drives: 86 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
It makes more sense to me that the Z/28 will be offered as a performance package. ....
Either way, I see this car as taking a direct shot at the GT350R. I see it with no back seat, weight reduction, yet being marketable as a daily driver, in other words something people will buy and drive on the street.
I agree with this but would add that I think it will be aiming at homologation for standardized GT4 racing for IMSA, PWC, and FIA which has a lot of manufacturers planning to get engaged in 2017. I wonder though whether Chevy will want to go with the Vette or Camaro, or both. If they go with just the Vette, then I don't know why they would need the Z/28 at all.
My bet would be they will go with a street-able Z/28 to compete with the GT350R in both GT4 racing and sales.

Name:  14692112_1114631498584628_7407597861780240435_o.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  80.7 KB
JAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #83
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
I'd like to see the Z/28 get back into the IMSA...after Stevenson bailed on the Camaro they just kind of ...faded away.

However, I doubt a CTSCC Z/28 would be very closely related to a street Z/28, especially if the Z/28 uses MRC and a LT4.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #84
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If the LT4 does end up in the Z/28, would a supercharged engine be allowed in the same class as the GT350R?