Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 01:19 AM   #15
NorthTex45thSS

Drives: 2012 45th SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edzo View Post
Like I said, if you have an SS, fine, I don't have a problem with you getting an automatic. I'm not saying sticks are the shit. But when you opt for 580 HP, it changes the game a little. Now you're talking race car not daily driver so much.
You realize that totally contradicts everything about (race cars) as you put it right?! For street daily driving and road courses stick shifts are more effective and feel faster in most cases, as far as drag racing goes automatics are more effective and faster! For a stock or bolt on car, sticks will feel faster and may be as fast or even faster than an auto with an excellent driver, but once you get to high and real high horsepower and get running really fast times auto is the only way. So it comes down to this, are you a road course or dd guy, or a dragstrip kinda guy? And if a dragstrip guy will you ever make big horsepower like 800+? I challange you to this, go to your local dragstrips, pay close attention to the fast cars (1/8 mile 7 sec or less 1/4 mile 10 sec or less) 95% in that category will be automatic transmission cars! In road coarse its not so much horsepower its more so technically efficient, smoothness, and handling! That is the short version of the reality of racing! Each has its own place and effectiveness! Just my 0.02 cents! Not picking on you man ive spent a ton and been in both worlds and that is what works!

95 Kenworth W900L
powered by CAT
13 spd
Old 09-24-2013, 01:28 AM   #16
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
Waste of car. Don't tell me its faster, the driver makes the car. Automatic there is no driver. Just my opinion. There's a reason when people see the car and ask if its a stick. If you say no, well just look at their expression lol.. no disrespect to anyone though I understand people have different needs

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
Old 09-24-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
Edzo

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 63 Impala
What I meant by race car was braking, shifting, coming out of a corner, accelerating, shifting, etc. That was my point, ZL1, more of a race car, hence the stick. Was surprised it was offered in a stick. Is the ZR1 offered in auto?
Old 09-24-2013, 02:04 AM   #18
Edzo

Okay, after some research, just under 1/3 of original '69 ZL1's were TH400's. I was surprised. Then again, they were 1/4 mile cars. Trying not to back-peddle too much. Interested to see how many new Z/28's are auto's.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #19
eymang

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS & 1991 Vert
Quote:
Interested to see how many new Z/28's are auto's.
None and No AC, no insulation and no stereo system...it has one interior speaker that chimes to put your seat belt on. Take that to the track.

Last edited by eymang; 09-24-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:05 AM   #20
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I saw an automatic ZL1 the other day. Didn't know they made them or why. ZL1's, like 'vettes, Ferrari's and Lambo's should always be sticks. Agree? p.s. I only have an SS but it's a stick. Performace car= Manual transmission.

here we go again, if you want a car that is pure stick I suggest the 1LE or new Z28. Other than that I would say what is it any of your concern that the ZL1, SS and RS come with. People who start these kind of threads must be looking for justification for something they are second thinking themselves.

PS Vettes can be had with autos and Lambo is putting in autos as does Ferrari - OOOOOOPS

Last edited by 05stram; 09-24-2013 at 04:08 AM. Reason: comments on vettes
Old 09-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #21
Edzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
here we go again, if you want a car that is pure stick I suggest the 1LE or new Z28. Other than that I would say what is it any of your concern that the ZL1, SS and RS come with. People who start these kind of threads must be looking for justification for something they are second thinking themselves.

PS Vettes can be had with autos and Lambo is putting in autos as does Ferrari - OOOOOOPS
As far as 'vettes, I said ZR1's. OOOps upside your head. Let it go, people knew what I was talkin' about.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:52 AM   #22
OPP

Drives: 2018 MBM ZL1 Auto
This why:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315104

People like & buy autos= GM sells them $

Last edited by OPP; 09-24-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #23
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I saw an automatic ZL1 the other day. Didn't know they made them or why. ZL1's, like 'vettes, Ferrari's and Lambo's should always be sticks. Agree? p.s. I only have an SS but it's a stick. Performace car= Manual transmission.
Most new Lambos and Ferraris are automatic.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:28 AM   #24
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Like I said, if you have an SS, fine, I don't have a problem with you getting an automatic. I'm not saying sticks are the shit. But when you opt for 580 HP, it changes the game a little. Now you're talking race car not daily driver so much.
You're stirring this pot pretty good... let me help you.

So if you're getting a high-horsepower ZL1 and "now you're talking race car", you should get the quickest one you can. Get an automatic for street or strip.

Manual would serve you better for road courses.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 09-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #25
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWood-SS View Post
...some older guys got a shot left leg?

i'll stick with grabbin gears
And how do you think we got those "shot left legs" (knees actually)? And the right knee is shot from years of kicking a Harley stroker (and it kicking back).
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
Old 09-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #26
PalmerGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthZL1 View Post
The speed of the manual ZL1 varies based on the skill of the driver. I'm sure there are manual drivers out there who could beat automatic drivers.
Of course. But if you're talking equally skillful drivers... auto wins.
Old 09-24-2013, 06:41 AM   #27
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
I read threads like this sometime and amusingly shake my head.

We offer both transmissions -but it isn't as simple as "auto is better for the strip and manual for the road course" -- trust me on this.

Our engineers spent a lot of time developing shift algorithms -- and until you actually drive a ZL1 with an automatic transmission, you have no real appreciation for the job they've done.

You see - as you 'tap down' -- the controller 'blips' the throttle - just as you would with heel/toe shifts - except that a lot of people have problems with heel/toe shifts. The fastest way around the road course is to keep the car balanced......and this is what helps to keep the ZL1 balanced.

A trip around the track with guys like Aaron Link or Tony Roma or Mark Stielow or Mark Dickens or Al Oppenheiser will demonstrate just how great the Automatic Transmissioned ZL1 truly is.

Now - are there drivers out there that can perhaps drive the manual transmissioned ZL1 faster than the automatic? Yes -- but I think the numbers are limited.

Now - as I shake my head at all of this - what was the purpose of the thread? If it was to ask a question as to "why?" - well - now you have the answer!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #28
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
There are over 7.1 billion people on Earth, everybody is different. Buy whatever suites YOU. Do I drive a manual? Yes. Would I want an automatic pony car? No. Do I get disappointed when I go to a car show and see an automatic 60's-70's era muscle car? Yes. Does everybody feel the same way I do? Of course not. Like most are saying, the autos are faster in the 1/4. It only makes sense. It is a lot easier to put an auto in drive and press the gas to the floor, rather than clutch/shift, clutch/shift, clutch/shift. To each his own.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".

Closed Thread