Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #43
Doubleblank

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2014 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2 View Post
Looks like Ford is saving the CF wheels and brakes and I'd guess a rear seat delete for the GT350R.
And I'm guessing they ditch the MagneRide too for the GT350R.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #44
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd in Vancouver View Post
Not so sure on that. I'm thinking it'll be a ZL1 & Z/28 set up in a GT350 & GT500 kind of way. It'll be interesting no doubt and will they keep the GT500 as a drag strip car against the HellCat and let the GT350 tango with the track day cars.

I'll be shocked if they can keep the weight down on the GT350 with Mag ride involved. Safety standards are a must and they still have a nice info/entertainment system involved so I can see this car growing like the ZL1 did. But, an R version for serious track guys would be one way to strip it down for good track times.

Also, have to add the Camaro hate on the Mustang boards is really amusing. All of a sudden Mag. ride is AWESOME, and it'll kill all Camaros. I really feel they may be a bit disappointed when compared to a Z/28 or even the ZL1. It won't have the suspension as good as one and I'm guessing less power than the other. I really feel after reading some more on this GT350 that it'll be closer to a ZL than anything. And only 3-4 years late to the party.

Again, great times to be a car nut.
+1 on the last comment

I'm astonished by the innovation we have seen within the last few years! Imagine how much power the GT500 and next generation ZL1 will make

Overall, this is good for car guys

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #45
Erik427

Drives: 1970 Camaro, 2011 Mustang GT, 2011
I want this engine!
Erik427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #46
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
This thing looks awesome. Also if anyone has not heard the exhaust note there's a video somewhere. Holy. Shit. Amazing.

Kinda curious about that "grille surround" that adds stiffness to the car. I wanna know how it does exactly because it sounds like they are throwing every little detail in hopes it makes it seem like they really did a lot. Obviously they did a lot of changes to the car to make it better but really, a grille surround?

Not trying to stir up anything, I really like it. Just curious about the full details.
Didn't GM tout something about an "aero" bowtie for the z/28?
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #47
ZYBORG
Lets roll...

Drives: 14'
Very excited about this car. Glad to see it got a refresh to set it apart from the generic s550. I predict base price starting at $55-60k. I also do not see this car outperforming the z28 at a track. I think the 1/4 times should be pretty close though.

Cant wait for more details, love it so far.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:37 PM   #48
tooslow
Banned

Drives: 4 Wheels, Gasoline Engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYBORG View Post
Very excited about this car. Glad to see it got a refresh to set it apart from the generic s550. I predict base price starting at $55-60k. I also do not see this car outperforming the z28 at a track. I think the 1/4 times should be pretty close though.

Cant wait for more details, love it so far.
I, too, would be surprised if this car beats the z/28 around a track. Of course, I'm pretty sure it was not designed to. If it does, it would be a bonus. Based on the comments by Ford and the options they are looking to offer on it, this car is intended primarily as a track-capable street car, not a street-legal track car like the Z.
tooslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #49
zero

Drives: Black 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Nice car...can't wait to find out more about it.

Nice looking car as well. Still doesn't grab me any more than the 5th gen does, but I'll say it certainly looks better than the regular Mustang body style.

Way to early for me to think its a Z/28 beater, but then again it might be. Sounds like there will be a regular version and then an "R" version. Which will be more inline with a Z/28? Would the R be street legal, or would they go all out and make it a competition only machine?

Over 500 HP and 400TQ. Nice, but how much more? It may not make much or any more power than the LS7 in the Z/28, but suspect the HP will be well over 500 and not just 505 like the LS7. Also, the Z/28 weighs around 3,800 lbs, and I suspect this car will come in around 3,700 to 3,800 lbs as well, so no huge advantage there.

The lack of carbon ceramic brakes takes away some of the potential cost, but I still see this car being 60 - 65K or more. The R version would be 70+ unless its an all out compeition only car like I mentioned above...then I'd expect a lot more.
I think safe bet the GT350R will be the new track only non street legal race car like the boss 302R.

I hope it crushes Z28 because competition is great for all.
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #50
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostPony View Post
Oh, one more thing: If the suspension is GM based, the crap Mustang guys will take from GM fans will be ENDLESS!
If true no crap from me just showing both car manufactures can respect each other and can give a nod and agree when something is good.
Unless Mustang owners are being a douche then it's back to the good ol fight lol
Old 11-17-2014, 12:46 PM   #51
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
We'll all know more after 2PM PST, that's the official unveiling and hopefully more specs will be given.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:11 PM   #52
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
A nice car but nothing really advanced except for the motor. I would expect the pricing closer to a ZL1 than a Z/28. Magnetic shocks was a surprise. The Z/28 still should have an advantage in braking and suspension. Expect GM to offer a superior Camaro for less money.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 PM   #53
white ZL1

Drives: none
That car is gorgeous. And sounds incredible.
I'll be interested in this, and to see what GM does with the 6th Gen.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #54
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooslow View Post
Didn't GM tout something about an "aero" bowtie for the z/28?
Very true, they at least had data up front to explain the reason for the flo-tie. All I know is that this "grille surround" increases rigidity. I want to know how it does it. Admittedly its a bit of an over engineered piece for the car but its functional at least. Not knocking Ford for the "grille surround" but it makes it sound like the car is just built to a specific price point rather than what is really, ultimately achievable. I understand that leaves room for a more potent R version so I know there's more to come.

Again, not knocking it, just curious about what they really did to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
A nice car but nothing really advanced except for the motor. I would expect the pricing closer to a ZL1 than a Z/28. Magnetic shocks was a surprise. The Z/28 still should have an advantage in braking and suspension. Expect GM to offer a superior Camaro for less money.
My thoughts exactly. I'm not underwhelmed by the car at all and I can't wait to see and hear one but I was expecting a bit more. Guess the R version may utilize more technology like carbon fiber body panels, carbon brakes, potentially different suspension pieces etc.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #55
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
lt has unique sheetmetal, carbon fiber grill. unique transmission. lots tooling for a small number of cars there is a lot added cost to that. Plus lets be serious that is the Ford halo car the fan boys alone will pay it.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #56
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
With all the features this GT350 has I think it'll be a ZL1 vs type of match up-