Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 09-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
RyconPayne
2014 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE RS
Question Want a roof box, and found this picture. What are they using to mount this?

So, we've decided that there's no reason we can't take my car across country except that it doesn't have enough storage. So, enter a roof box. This looks amazing:

...and while I've found the box itself, I can't find that mount that is on the back and I'm not sure how this is being mounted. Does anyone have any insight as to how this is being done?

Here is the instagram post for this car:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqGHFNbg...=1vokiiwm0v7kg

I *really* like this look, and would love to do this.
RyconPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 06:36 AM   #2
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm betting it's suction cup mounts with straps that pass through the passenger compartment. I think I'd have to be pretty desperate to use it though.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Thule doesn't list anything for the roof of our cars. Who knows if that is something that is even real and not photoshopped.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
AJARMAN

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
OP- this might help if you hadn't already seen this. I don't think its photoshopped but it does have rear suction cup. I'm not sure how to embed a youtube link but here you go.
Kooks w/ HF Cats
Corsa Sport
DynoSteve Tune
AJARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:10 PM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJARMAN View Post
OP- this might help if you hadn't already seen this. I don't think its photoshopped but it does have rear suction cup. I'm not sure how to embed a youtube link but here you go.
Ok not photoshopped, bit I'm not still not sure I would call it real. How much weight would you be willing to carry centered on your roof and rear window? The weight of the box alone is more that I would do.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 05:33 PM   #6
Thunderstick

Drives: 14 Camaro LS
This could be a useful direction to go that would allow the box to sit as far back as you want otherwise just get 2 roof cross bars.
https://www.etrailer.com/Watersport-...RoCuiQQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Thunderstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Have you considered shipping the stuff you would put in that to your destination? It's done quite a bit when flying instead of dealing with baggage and the fees.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:50 AM   #8
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyconPayne View Post
So, we've decided that there's no reason we can't take my car across country except that it doesn't have enough storage. So, enter a roof box. This looks amazing:

...and while I've found the box itself, I can't find that mount that is on the back and I'm not sure how this is being mounted. Does anyone have any insight as to how this is being done?

Here is the instagram post for this car:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqGHFNbg...=1vokiiwm0v7kg

I *really* like this look, and would love to do this.
Ok, just my thoughts on this entire idea...

First, while it looks kind of cool, I wonder if it’s a solution in search of problem. I doubt many people are going to take a long distance trip with four people in a Camaro, so obviously you’d use the rear seat for more space if you fill the trunk up. I see the Audi has some type of NOS in it so maybe the carrier is used to store extra bottles, lol.

Second, it doesn’t look like it carries a lot. Again you’d probably get more additional space by flipping down the back seat and filling it up to the roof using the rear shelf for even more space. The problem with the Camaro trunk is that the opening isn’t wide enough for some bulky stuff but I found that if you roll down the window and fold the seat down a lot of bulky stuff can fit in that way.

Third, if you REALLY need more additional space, a waterproof backpack or duffle bag strapped over the trunk, with some type of protection for the trunk surface, would seem to be a better idea. Another solution would be to buy a mini hitch (if you don’t have rear ground effects) and get a lightweight hitch carrier. Not as attractive as the one shown but I bet more practical if you REALLY need the space. One thing I miss about my 4th Gen was that I could shove a full size bike in it so I actually contemplated going the hitch mount route to securely haul my bike around instead of using my gas guzzling SUV.

Ok, I couldn’t sleep and I probably put too much thought into this, lol.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:17 PM   #9
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I just keep thinking how cool that car would look if it didn't have that coffin attached to its roof. All kidding aside I would say go the duffle bag route and stuff the back seat and trunk to max capacity. If you need more space than that you probably should consider a different vehicle.