Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-24-2020, 12:07 PM   #15
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatter View Post
Does anyone happen to have access to the .pdf version of the 2012-15 service manual? specifically the wiring schematics for the mag ride system? I am looking for pinout info on the ride height sensors.

Hard copy only, cant get to them until tomorrow.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:00 PM   #16
ZMEnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Hard copy only, cant get to them until tomorrow.

Here ya go..
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Struts Diagram.pdf (943.2 KB, 172 views)
Old 09-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #17
snowcatter

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Here ya go..
Nice! Exactly what I needed 😃 thank you. When o get this all figured out I will post the solution here so the next guy doesn't have to go through all this lol
snowcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #18
ZMEnow

Quote:
Nice! Exactly what I needed 😃 thank you. When o get this all figured out I will post the solution here so the next guy doesn't have to go through all this lol

Yeah good luck. When reading yesterday it appears the controller looks for a .25 to 4.75 volt command from the sensors and sends that to the control module which intern feeds variable current to the strut actuators in current from 0- 5 amps signal to the strut. Haven’t had time to digest that right now because my plate is full. But I don’t know where Phastek and others selling these resistors would get placed. But it doesn’t appear they go where the strut connected because the output is to the strut in current so the control module wouldn't care or have a way to know if the strut has responded.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:14 PM   #19
snowcatter

Sofar I have gotten the ride height sensors satisfied...I hope. I figured around 2.5V should get pretty close to what should be seen by the control module at normal ride height. Since 2.5V is half of the 5V reference it just takes 2 resistors of any size in series to ground center tapped to cut your source voltage in half. I happened to have several 1k resistors from my security panel and got 2.3V and no trouble codes...It doesn't seem to care that there is no shock/strut connected thus far. They say it needs to see the coil resistance of them but it isn't throwing codes anymore. Maybe it needs to be driven before it will fault on those...if so it will be awhile before that happens since there is no rear end in the car yet and no wheels and tires lol
Attached Images

Last edited by snowcatter; 09-25-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 PM   #20
ZMEnow

Quote:
Sofar I have gotten the ride height sensors satisfied...I hope. I figured around 2.5V should get pretty close to what should be seen by the control module at normal ride height. Since 2.5V is half of the 5V reference it just takes 2 resistors of any size in series to ground center tapped to cut your source voltage in half. I happened to have several 1k resistors from my security panel and got 2.3V and no trouble codes...It doesn't seem to care that there is no shock/strut connected thus far. They say it needs to see the coil resistance of them but it isn't throwing codes anymore. Maybe it needs to be driven before it will fault on those...if so it will be awhile before that happens since there is no rear end in the car yet and no wheels and tires lol

Not sure how you would measure any coil resistance at the strut as its only a two wire pin which is just a loop for sending varying amps. Anyway sounds like you are on the right track. Hope you nail it.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #21
snowcatter

On the contrary, the strut has a coil operated valve to adjust dampening, it does indeed measure a resistance of 1.4 OHMS to be exact. The chassis control module should be looking for that resistance to ensure the dampening valve is connected and operational. I am an industrial electrician specializing in industrial automation...you would be surprised at the amount of data can be transferred using just 2 wires. I have a feeling that as soon as I try and drive this car I'm going to see four new codes show up. This can easily be tested by anyone who has a ZL1 can unplug one of the struts and see what happens.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #22
NZZL1

Drives: 2013 BRM ZL1 Camaro M6
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showt...6#post10727176
NZZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:37 AM   #23
ZMEnow

Quote:
On the contrary, the strut has a coil operated valve to adjust dampening, it does indeed measure a resistance of 1.4 OHMS to be exact. The chassis control module should be looking for that resistance to ensure the dampening valve is connected and operational. I am an industrial electrician specializing in industrial automation...you would be surprised at the amount of data can be transferred using just 2 wires. I have a feeling that as soon as I try and drive this car I'm going to see four new codes show up. This can easily be tested by anyone who has a ZL1 can unplug one of the struts and see what happens.
If that’s the case, a 1.4 OHMS in a current loop would do it as long as it’s not looking for a variation once the coil is pulsed. I might test one of the fronts there easy enough to access and I have had two new replacements sitting around for a couple of years.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #24
snowcatter

Quote:
If that’s the case, a 1.4 OHMS in a current loop would do it as long as it’s not looking for a variation once the coil is pulsed. I might test one of the fronts there easy enough to access and I have had two new replacements sitting around for a couple of years.
If you have the time that would be helpful, thanks! I wouldn't do it unless you have the ability to clear the trouble codes from your chassis control module though...btw if you are interested you can see the entire build here:

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-Phoenix-quot
Old 09-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #25
ZMEnow

Quote:
If you have the time that would be helpful, thanks! I wouldn't do it unless you have the ability to clear the trouble codes from your chassis control module though...btw if you are interested you can see the entire build here:

Major talent... And one of a kind... hope that stays in the family for the little guy.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:53 AM   #26
Brutale arancia

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro
Quote:

Impressive skills but the will and determination....WOW!
Brutale arancia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #27
snowcatter

Thanks guys! My wife calls the car my mistress and she is definitely jealous of her lol. I will most likely keep this one until I keel over since I have been pouring everything I got into it....
Old 10-06-2020, 08:44 AM   #28
spadz93
BUMBL Z

Drives: 2015 ZL1
I had bought these a while back when deleting my magride, and I ended up cutting off the old connectors and using new weatherpack ones to connect them (rather than paying the 80 bucks for new factory ones). I still get errors from time to time, have been debating shelling out the money for the $350 ones, but if there is better information to be found here, I'm all for it.
Current: 2015 ZL1 M6, Rotofab Intake, LS3 throttle body, 2.55 Upper/9.17 Lower w/ Idler Relocation, DMS Reinforced Brick, ID1050X, 1 7/8" Headers, ProSpeed HX/Reservoir, DSX Aux Pump/Flex Fuel Sensor, E85, McLeod RXT, BMR 1" Drop, Tuned by Pat G
Past: 2010 2SS, some bolt ons, 415rwhp/400rwtq

spadz93 is offline   Reply With Quote